Author Topic: Bowlings of Glasgow  (Read 3681 times)

Offline pmw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowlings of Glasgow
« on: Saturday 14 August 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Seeking info about my 3rd great grandfather, Thomas Bowling, bn Partick, Glasgow around 1824. Married Agnes 1846 and they migrated to Australia in 1854.  Agnes was born in Govan around 1826 and she died in Sydney in 1878 and Thomas died in Brisbane in 1898.

I cant find anything much about Thomas and Agnes before they came to Australia.  Her surname may have been either Stewart or Sinclair. His parents were Thomas and Elizabeth and he had another brother, John, bn 1827 who also came to Australia and settled in Northern New South Wales.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Pamela

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bowlings of Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 August 10 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Can see Thomas  & Elizabeth BOWLING on the 1841 Census in Partick with a large family, on FreeCEN. The oldest there is a daughter Jean age 18 (b abt 1823). Head, Thomas is 45, Quarreyman, b Ireland.
http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
(Search for Anthony BOWLING to locate the right family)

In 1851, I can see Elizabeth with children still in Partick.

No sons named John or Thomas in either household - but in 1841 there is a 17 year old John BOWLING (b abt 1824), Hammerman in another household of WILSON, who is likely the right one for the brother? Was your Thomas' brother John close in age to Thomas?

When Thomas & Agnes immigrated, did they have any children with them? Do you know where they married in 1846?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 August 10 11:07 BST (UK) »
The OPR's have this record of marriage

12/12/1846 BOWLIN THOMAS and AGNES STEWART at GOVAN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 August 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Can't see them in 1851, maybe they had emigrated by then. Also can't see any baptisms for children either

Offline ShaneM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Pamela

My father in law, Roy Bowling, is the great grandson of John Bowling (Thomas' brother). He lives at Tucabia (NSW), you can contact him for further info.

ShaneM

Offline WOMBAT1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
pamela,
We have been researching the same Bowling family history.
Thomas of Partick had 3 sons (of 8 sons + 4 daughters)  who immigrated to Australia (Thomas, John, and George).
I am a descendent of Thomas/Thomas but have fairly good details on each of the three Australian families.
How are you connected ?.
Would like to make direct contact.
FrankB

Offline pmw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 15 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank
I haven't checked this site for ages but have decided to have a look at my Bowlings again and saw this very recent post.
I am descended from Thomas Bowling the younger. He migrated to Australia in 1854 with his wife Agnes and young son John. They settled in Sydney and had some about 13 more children in NSW.  I am the great,  great, great granddaughter of Thomas through his son William Bowling, my great, great grandfather.  William ended up in Qld as did his father Thomas who died in 1898.
I know of John coming to Australia - but not when - and his family in the NSW area but have not heard of George or any other sons or daughters of Thomas and Elizabeth.   

Offline WOMBAT1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 15 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Pamela
I will post a web link message later which gives the full FHx from our research.
My father was Francis Norman, son of Norman, son of William, son of Thomas, son of Thomas.
Are you in Australia or in the UK ?.
We haven't found a Pamela in the Mt Crosby mob.
What are the full names of you parents?
FrankB

Offline pmw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 15 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank
Well you and I are 2nd cousins 1 removed. My great grandmother was your Norman's older sister Annie Bowling who married James Walker and sadly died at 22 years of age when my Gran was a baby. She was raised by her Walker grandmother. I live in Ipswich - the Qld one that is - and have been up to Mt Crosby a few times to see the 'village" where some of the Bowlings lived and the pumping station where they worked.
I don't want to put any more personal details on this page but an happy to share any information and would like to get in touch if you wish.
Pamela