Author Topic: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen  (Read 27376 times)

Offline Jhaymas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 September 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracey,  my name is Jean,  I think Maureen has mentioned me.  I think we share the same Elliott ancestors.  My great grandfather was Solomon Elliott, married to Eliza Miller.  His son
Robert was my grandfather, married to Ann de Courcey.  Their daughter Joyce was my mother.
My cousin Ann and I have been looking at the family tree for some time now but have got a
bit stuck at Edward up in Scotland.  Her dad was Robert Elliott,  son of Robert.

If you have any questions I might be able to help you with, please let me know.
Best wishes
Jean

Offline supercow_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - I'm really excited to find this thread (thanks to Maureen).  My friend is a great grand-daughter of travelling showman Solomon Elliott b.1868 Taunton.  I've noticed other dates on here but that's the one that fits us.  On Solomon's birth certificate it says his father's name is Edwin rather than Edward... can anyone shed any light on that?  I'll get my friend to sign up here too as she has stuff to share, including a picture of the Boxing Booth!

Offline supercow_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Just logged on to see if I could find anythng out about the Elliott and West travellers and I am very excited to see there is a link to the family in Ipswich in 1896.  My great uncle Ernest James Stammers married Louisa Elliott - daughter of Edward - in Ipswich in 1899 - could this link be how they met?  In 1901 they are living with Louisa's maternal grandparents in Shirley - by early 1902 Ernest enlists saying he is single and has no children - 1905 he goes AWOL July 5 1907 he dies - no mention of relatives on his death card and no record of his death at Kew.  Also can't find out anything about Louisa after 1901.  In view of the family links are there any legends which have been passed down about Louisa and Ernest?  I'd love to hear from someone - already in touch with Tracy.

Maureen

Hmm - I'm a bit intrigued as I have Thomas b.1870 Bridgewater as the son of Edward and Sarah (nee Slack), living with them aged 1 in the 1871 census - then seem to find him in Shirley as the grandson of the Wests living with them and his sister Louisa b.1876 in Shirley...  Perhaps both Edward b. 1850 and Edward b.1830 had soms called Thomas b.1870?

Has anyone found Solomon in the 1881 census?

Thanks!  Sarah

Offline brooksey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:23 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
     Solomon and Eliza are my great grandparents . My mother was Adelaide Elliott the daughter of Beatrice Elliott who was the daughter of Solomon and Eliza. I am 61 and Solomon had died before I was born but I clearly remember my g.grandmother Eliza who was known to me as "granny".She died in the 1960's when she was about 92 , I think. When I knew her she was in her mid-late eighties to early nineties and was living with Beatrice her daughter and Bob Braine my mum's stepfather. They were living in a house in Judge Heath Lane Hayes .I am guessing that the travelling stopped when Solomon died.
She was tiny and dressed in layers upon layers of long black dresses in what I assume to be the Victorian style. She had a permanent rag as a bandage over one eye ( which had been lost chopping wood). She took snuff and always had a yellowing handkerchief in her hand or the pocket of her black pinny. I cannot remember her saying much, (although my brother had memories of her telling him ghost stories when he was very young ) she just seemed to move silently around the house on invisible legs. She was VERY scarey ! I have a photograph of Solomon but none of her. I guess we did not consider her photogenic at the time. Shame !
The boxing booth was used in an early Hitchcock film called "The Ring" . I have it on dvd and video. I also have a book with a "still" from the film. Sharon

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 September 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
 :-\ Just recalled something else!  A schoolfriend of mine lived at the junction of Bramford Lane and Kitchener Road in Ipswich - Bramford Lane runs parallel to Bramford Road. Her parents, now I think back, must have been of gypsy/traveller stock.  Our mothers always exchanged pleasantries and Mrs Baldwin always called my mother 'mam' she had a 'ruddy' complexion and always wore a headscarf also, I feel certain, earrings.  The Baldwins had a wood yard and kept a skewbald pony and cart - I think Mr Baldwin must also have had traveller links.  Strangely all their children were very fair haired and skinned.  Because of the proximity I wonder whether Mrs Baldwin was descended from the folk we've metioned above, she would have been born around 1908-10 I would guess.  Sadly long gone.  I will endeavour to make contact with my friend and find out whether she knows the maiden name of her mother.  In the meantime does the name Baldwin ring any bells?

Maureen

Offline supercow_2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 October 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracey,  my name is Jean,  I think Maureen has mentioned me.  I think we share the same Elliott ancestors.  My great grandfather was Solomon Elliott, married to Eliza Miller.  His son
Robert was my grandfather, married to Ann de Courcey.  Their daughter Joyce was my mother.
My cousin Ann and I have been looking at the family tree for some time now but have got a
bit stuck at Edward up in Scotland. 

Hi Jean - I've managed to get back to the marriage cert in 1853 of Edwin Elliott and Sarah Slack that says his father was William Elliott (a Pedlar) and hers was George Slack (a Cutler).  Haven't yet been able to find any of these folk in the 1851 or 1841 censuses in England or Scotland... if anyone else has achieved this feat I'd love to hear about it!

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 October 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
I searched the 1841 census for Edward and found him (terrible reproduction) I think with his family, siblings and parents, John and Jane living in Chorlton upon Medlock aged 11 years.  The age is right but I'm not sure - what do you think?

Offline elliottjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi every one

I  am after information/photos of my family the elliotts.
My name is James Solomon Elliott I was named after my grandfather Jim, his father was Solomon Elliott b1896 who was a boxingbooth fighter, he had two brothers Robert and Charlie and some sisters, his father Solomon Elliott b1868 ran the boxingbooth.

If anyone as any info please contact me

thanks
Jim

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 10:53 GMT (UK) »
H Jim - there's quite a long thread on your line on rootschat - just looked and couldn't see your message there yet - I think Edward (see the other threads) was the father of Louisa and Annie - amongst others and Louisa married my gt uncle in Ipswich in 1899 - get full details on line - they are a riddle I would like to solve so if you have any background info on Louisa and her husband Ernest James Stammers I'd love to hear from you!  Best wishes, Maureen