Author Topic: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen  (Read 27419 times)

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - I have Louisa and Earnest's marriage certificate - her father Edward put his occupation as 'briciklayer' which seems strange! My grandparents were witnesses at the wedding (she being Ernest's sister) I have e-mailed Jean Coalport who has loads of info and press cuttings about Solomon - I hope to see she joins this thread.  An old aunt who was born in 1898 and died at the age of 96 remembered all her life going to a gypsy funeral and seeing a burning caravan - for some reason she was very put off looking like a gypsy refusing to wear a headscarf or large earrings all her life!!!  This would have been around 1902 which is when Louisa and Ernest seem to have had a parting of the ways.  There is a Louisa Stammers shown dying tht year in London following childbirth but this is a completeloy different family and just a very confusing  happening. Louisa is listed in several of the Elliott family trees but surprisingly no one has heard anything about her - I fear something rather unpleasant may have happened - can't find any trace whatsoever of Louisa after 1901 which seems strange and, as I said - Ernest's death is not registered at Kew.  I wonder whether he committed suicide and his body wasn't found but it was known he died on the date shown on his death card.

Offline tracylee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison

We do indeed have a connection.  My Nan Elizabeth was the daugher of Solomon's daughter Edith Elliott so Solomon would be my GG Grandfather.  My Nan married a traveller so I still have a strong Romany side of the family but I didn't know too much about my Nan's fairground side.

I was talking to my Dad about my findings so far and he said that he had heard of your Gt Grandmother as taking on all comers in my Nan's tales about the fmaily so i guess the stories definitley got passed down.

I'm desperate to see any photos of them so would be great to know if you have any.  I have a couple of my Gt Granny Edie (Solomon's daughter) which I can share with you if you like.

Tracy

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 September 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy,

I'm so excited by your reply as I have spent many long hours trying to sort out this side of the family and hitting so many walls. I know there are a couple of photos of Annie lurking around at my mums so have spoken to her to get them and she is also going to speak to her cousin to see if he has any more. Also on speaking to her she confirmed Annie was a hit in the boxing booth and also one of her daughters Kate (Ellen) used to box as well, I don't think my nan ever did though. Also, one of Annie's daughters, my gt aunt Violet is still alive today. She is about 95/96 and lives in Surrey. Haven't spoken to her but may ask my mum to have a word with her at some point. She may even have more pictures which would be great.
Would be interested to see your pics of gt granny edith and I'll get the ones of Annie as well.
I also know that their brother Thomas was living in Southampton as that is where he died in 1935 age 62, sadly Annie died 5 years later in 1940 . He was married to a lady called Mary Ann,and they are shown living in a caravan, in Barking Essex in the 1901 census.

Regards

Alison

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 September 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
Alison - I feel I may be getting closer to finding out what happened to Louisa and Ernest!!  If Annie's daughter was around, albeit as a child - she might perhaps have heard stories about what happened around 1901/2!!  Would you be kind enough to include that as a question if contact is made with her?  I've contacted Jean C so hope she joins this thread.  Louisa's West relatives were also travellers before settling in a house as at 1901 census.

Regards, Maureen

Offline Anngrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
My Great grandfather was Solomon Elliott. Have not looked at this site for a while. It was a nice surprise finding other people also researching the Elliotts/
My Grandfather was Solomons son Robert. I can send you a photo copy of them both, and any info I may have, I will gladly send to you.

Ann

Offline MaureenStudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 September 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
I think Alison's gt grandmother was sister to Louisa - the lady I am trying to trace to find out what happened between the census of 1901 and January 1902 when Ernest (her husband) says he is single!  About the Ipswich link - traditionally there was always a visiting fair in Bramford Road - it was still going on when I was a teenager - if only I had known then what I know now I would have gone looking for the Elliotts and Wests!!!  Jean hasn't joined us yet so I will e-mail her again.  Several of you seem to be gt gt grandchildren of Solomon and I know Jean is related too.

Maureen

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Nice to hear from you. I'm Annie Elliotts ( married name Smith) great grandaughter. It's so nice to hear of people who are connected to the family after spending ages not getting anywhere. It would be nice to share your pictures and any other info you might have. I'm hoping to get some pictures of my great gran but we don't have much on her brothers and sisters.

Cheers

Alison

Offline asorrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
I think Alison's gt grandmother was sister to Louisa - the lady I am trying to trace to find out what happened between the census of 1901 and January 1902 when Ernest (her husband) says he is single!  About the Ipswich link - traditionally there was always a visiting fair in Bramford Road - it was still going on when I was a teenager - if only I had known then what I know now I would have gone looking for the Elliotts and Wests!!!  Jean hasn't joined us yet so I will e-mail her again.  Several of you seem to be gt gt grandchildren of Solomon and I know Jean is related too.

Maureen

How interesting to find out about the fair in Ipswich being a regular thing. Great Grandad Smith was a Horse/ Cattle dealer so one can only assume he met Annie at the fair and they got hitched. Don't know if the Elliotts would have been there when you were a teenager Maureen, but it wouldn't surprise me if there had been some descendants around like children or grandchildren. My mums cousins still travel with the fair as do their children and grandchildren as well.

Regards

Alison

Offline Anngrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,
Will be back shortly when I have sorted my documents,, I will make a list of what I have and then you can choose what might be useful to you.
Regards
Ann