Author Topic: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen  (Read 27378 times)

Offline horsesmad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon and Edward Elliott - Fairground showmen
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research my ancestry and have discovered that my parents were Romany and somehow connected to the fairground. I have discovered that Taylors are mentioned in Solomon and Edward Elliott fairground. My father was Henry Taylor and my mother was Grace. My grandparents were Thomas Taylor and Emily Trout. My Grt, grt grandfather was Plato Taylor.
I remember being taken to the fairground at Wansted Flats as a child and having free rides while my parents went to visit with someone.
Can anyone help me to make the connection?
Lena
lee canningtown
Scott mitchim
Taylor
Lawrence middlesex
Hilton
castle

Offline horsesmad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
hi Lena, 
Plato Taylor is also my gg grand father i come down through his daughter Annie Taylor, i no the Taylor's were on wanstead flats but have not heard of fair ground connections, but there are a lot of people on here researching the Taylor's, maybe you could do this as a new post :)
lee canningtown
Scott mitchim
Taylor
Lawrence middlesex
Hilton
castle

Offline Lena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 06 September 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
Thanks for your reply. That makes us cousins twice removed, or something like that? I am new to this chat room stuff. Will you please tell me where I go to start a new post? I have a cousin in Oz who is also researching our line and would be interested in what I can find out.
Lena

Offline horsesmad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 06 September 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
hi lena
on the page which shows what or who people are searching for at the top of the page in blue it says start new topic, so it would be looking for info on thomas taylor who married emily trout  :)
lee canningtown
Scott mitchim
Taylor
Lawrence middlesex
Hilton
castle

Offline srsf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.  This is my first message on Rootschat - thanks to Mo Studd for introducing me to this thread. 

I am a descedant of Edward/Edwin Elliott b.1830 (my gt x 3 grandfather) as follows -> Edward Elliott (b.1850) and Hannah Maria West -> Thomas Edward Elliott (b.1870) and Ellen Mary Morgan -> Annie Elliott (b.1905) and William Daniel Symes -> my mother.

I'd love to make contact with other Elliott descendants to exchange information.  I have some certificates to swap, but precious little information about the travelling/fairground life, which fascinates me.  I did find a rather grim news cutting a year or so ago, but can't locate it.

Simon

Offline Charlotte Cosgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have just found out that my ggg grandparents were solomon elliott and eliza miller (the one with one eye) i would love any info that anyone has got about them and their relies. My nans mum was edith elliott married to a herbert james leonard saunders (i think) he left when my nan was young. I have a photo of solomon, but i would love any photos of any of the family if any one has any at all please could you share them with me, also any stories would be fantastic. thank you

Offline Charlotte Cosgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alison

We do indeed have a connection.  My Nan Elizabeth was the daugher of Solomon's daughter Edith Elliott so Solomon would be my GG Grandfather.  My Nan married a traveller so I still have a strong Romany side of the family but I didn't know too much about my Nan's fairground side.

I was talking to my Dad about my findings so far and he said that he had heard of your Gt Grandmother as taking on all comers in my Nan's tales about the fmaily so i guess the stories definitley got passed down.

I'm desperate to see any photos of them so would be great to know if you have any.  I have a couple of my Gt Granny Edie (Solomon's daughter) which I can share with you if you like.

Tracy
Hi there my Nan is also edie's daughter my nan is margaret saunders elizabeths baby sister i would love a photo of gt granny edie if you have one. i have a photo of solomon elliott if you would like me to send it to you let me know thanks

Offline elliottjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Something I found

Offline elliottjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile