Author Topic: Bradley Family  (Read 16860 times)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 August 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

Thanks for your interest and detailed reply.

To quickly answer some of your points before I return to my confused state.

My first choice during my investigations into the Bradleys was the Ballynascreen Bradleys. As advised to me by Aghadowey.
However I had no further detailed knowledge about their deaths or offspring.
As you say there must be a lot of "Johns".
I was drawn to the Fallagloon Bradleys because Francis and his possible wife Ann both had died prior to 1872. I know John's parents died before that date because it says so on John's marriage cert. from St.Patrick's, ,Coatbridge.
Also, I have contacted The Drapers Company in London,but they had no further details on their tenants.

I will look into the points you have raised.
What would be the easiest/best way of getting further info on the Draperstown family?

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Well you have asked the million dollar question!

I would suggest that you yourself have a look at the Griffiths Valuation for the Draperstown (Ballinascreen) area - but remember that the tenants of Draperstown were not all tenants of the Drapers. So you would really need to find out more about the various landowners there. For example the Corick Bradley - the landowner was a Rev. Alex. Miller. Perhaps there were a lot of smaller landholders on that side of the mountain?

The Kirley Bradley's would have been tenants of the Drapers Co. If you try this link hopefully it will give you some background on the company. It also tells you all of the townlands that the Drapers Company had holdings in. (Hope I have copied the link properly!)
http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction__drapers__d3632.pdf
All info about the Drapers Co. is also at PRONI.

Once you have ascertained which townland you can find and have a look at the actual lease that your "Bradley" would have signed. 

But I think the key really is knowing exactly which Bradley before you can go any further - you have seen how many there are and the same names are being perpetuated within the same generation. Dad - Pat, Uncle Pat, son Pat , cousin Pat .....you get the idea!

This is where I have ground to a halt because really I need to get to PRONI and start to look though the films of the Parish registers.  I hate to say it but you probably do to. If you know some of the family members you should be able start to pick them up in the registers.  You almost need to draw up a couple of family trees to see who fits where to rule families out.  That's the approach I coming from.  But I'm sure you may be advised differently by others more experienced than I!

As you probably know PRONI will be closed as of Sept (for 9 months I think) getting ready for the move to their new premises. I think some small portion of information will be available to view elsewhere? I'm sure Aghadowey will know... ;D

It tricky because if you're like me you probably live nowhere near Belfast. Just tread carefully because it would be awful to pick up the wrong Francis & John.

Best Wishes
Leslie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
My first choice during my investigations into the Bradleys was the Ballynascreen Bradleys. As advised to me by Aghadowey.
My advice was actually to search for more information in Scottish records (reply #1).

See PRONI website for details of closure and also this post on records which will be held at Creggagh Library-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,470107.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link regarding Creggah Library. I thought I had seen some information.

I have to ask though - if Andrew is unable to turn up any further information in Scotland (let's hope he can), what could his second line of attack be?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Without any exact place (townland) looking for a common surname like Bradley would only be speculation.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I had been thinking some search of parish registers just might turn up something.  You know some comment, address, name etc.

But yes needle & haystack spring to mind.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Oh Well,

I will have to rummage through all my stuff tomorrow and make a plan (like buying a pitchfork)

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Lori Bradley Coleman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
are you seeking info on the Bradleys from Draperstown, parish Ballinscreen?  Does this pdf help any?file:///D:/Bradley%20Census%20from%201911%20in%20Ireland.pdf

HI!..I am not sure if this helps anyone or may help connect us...but my name is Lori (Lorraine) Bradley Coleman and my grandfather was Daniel Quigley Bradley born in 1911 and he was the son of Edward L. Bradley and Susan Montague Bradley. Edward was born in 1879 and Susan in 1877. I have this document which is the 1911 census...He was born Draperstown and his family resided there.  He came over to the states via the Transylvania when he was 18.
Margaret Ann Bradley Keenan, his sister, was born in Draperstown July 1905. Her parants were Edward Bradley and Susan Bradley(McTeaque/Montaque) of Cahore. The McTeaque is on the baptism record, parish of Ballinscreen, and the Montaque is on her birth certificate

does this help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

You should probably check the date and place of Edward Bradley's birth-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Edward Bradley, age 20, son of Lawrence, and Susan McTeague married 1898-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10434/5799189.pdf