Author Topic: RAF AMES 504 Dingli Cliff Malta  (Read 45298 times)

Offline ripperware

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF AMES 504 Dingli Cliff Malta
« Reply #81 on: Monday 05 October 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
This isn't exactly what you are after, Bill, but might add some background. Make sure you wander through the 5 volumes of photos (links at the top of the page).

http://www.kenripper.co.uk/vic/vic_album02.htm

Ken
Ripper/Repper - Cornwall & the world
Bullion(s) - Perthshire & London
Miller - Luton & Bermondsey
Suggett - Yorkshire & London
Oldridge - Devon
Irving - Buckinghamshire

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thank you so very much for your reply, yes you are correct that this was not the reply that I was hoping for.   However Vic's story makes compelling reading and what a fantastic story told in pictures it is. From his early flight in a Lysander which was used to pick up our spies from grass fields behind enemy lines to fighting the enemy in his spitfire. I had seen some of the pictures before ,however a lot of these pictures I have never seen and thank you for sending them to me. This gentleman should never be forgotten.
Again may I ask the rootschat family for assistance in finding anyone who served on Radar (  RDF ) on Malta from 1940 - 1943 to please get in touch with me on this website. I am particularly interested in anyone who served with my Father Cpl. William Crawford on RAF No 504 radar at Dingli Cliff in Malta during the dates above.  I have already been in touch with 2 relatives of the crew of this radar unit through this website and I am sure that there must be others so please get in touch .
Thanks again for your time and a massive thanks to Ken for VIc' story.   

Moderator comment: Please note that for privacy protection, details of people who may still be living should not be posted on Rootschat. Anyone wishing to make contact can use the Rootschat Private Message system once they have made three posts on the forum

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 10 March 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
To the moderator, my apologies for the last email regarding the name mention .

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 10 March 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I joined rootschat a few years ago as I was looking to try to find the location of my late father's radar unit in Malta . I had put appeals in the two Maltese newspapers with some success and had emailed various people both in Malta and here in the UK without too much success. I had some information but it would not give me a location . I started this search in 2008 . In 2009 and still struggling to find the location at Dingli cliff of the 504 COL radar, I emailed the RAFA in London and  was not expecting too much in return, They however passed my email to the Malta branch where it was picked up by Tony Abela.  Over the next almost 3 yrs emails passed to and from Malta , I would send info to Tony and he would say that it was not on that site and he would send me information and I would be thinking NO that can't be right.  This went on till in early 2012 when a lady from near London replied to my rootschat appeal and mentioned that her Father served on that Radar unit as a Radar. Operator and knew my Father and better still he was still alive although in his 90's.
Tony made the first contact then I made contact with this lady and eventually asked if I could speak with her Father on the phone and it was arranged , During our call I learned so much more about my Father's time in Malta and about the Radar at Dingli cliff.  In September 2012 my partner Jean and I went to Malta and we met up with Tony again as I had met him before when I was on the Island.
Tony took us to Dingli Cliff and showed us the exact position as to where the radar No 504 COL being the one that my Father served on as a Radar op  on Malta for almost Three yrs had stood and also showed us the building on the lower cliff which is still standing today. The radar was moved from the cliff top to the lower level in 1943. Tony had also managed to locate a map of where the radars stood so we knew we were in the right spot. 504 COL was a low looking radar and one of the first Three Chain Overseas Low Radars ever to be sent outside of the UK . At this time Tony mentioned that it was his intention to write. A book about the Radars on Malta during WW2 , this was something which had never been done before .     In March 2014 Tony had finished his book and Jean and I were invited to attend the launch of the book , I was also asked if I would make a speech as the representative of all the Radar crews who were on Malta like my Father between 1940--1944.
On the 29th of March at the present Radar site and In front of around 200 invited guests Tony made the first speech , I  made the second speech as the representative of the Radar crews  which took about Three and a Half minutes and was well received and the tourism minister made the Final speech.  Having said goodbye to Tony , Jean and I went back to Dingli cliff on our own for me to be able to stand at the exact location where my Father had been during WW2 a bit of an emotional time for me . When I returned home I spoke to the gentleman again  by phone and he told me that my Father and he and other Radar crew were involved in the rescue of a downed British airman. He had been shot down and after ejecting from his plane he had landed in the water not far from the lower cliffs where he managed to swim to the rocks. A search party from 504 & 242 Radar Units searched the area but ocould not find him In the dark.  However  they found him the next morning and a rope rescue party was formed and lowered an officer down to the airman who was also wounded and  they hauled both men up to the cliff top, I was told that both this gentleman and my Father were on the edge of the cliff lowering and raising the rope along with other crew with their  South African Officer beside them. I believe that the Airman survived after a spell in hospital.
During my search there were many occasions when I thought I would never find where the 504 Radar was located and I put in appeal after appeal on The Rootschat website and time after time members would come back with suggestions as to where to try next or they knew someone who could maybe help. This was great as it always gave me hope that one day someone would find the missing part of the jigsaw and if I had not been on rootschat then I would have missed this lady and would never have spoken to her father who served in the RAF like my Father and would have missed finding where my Father served on Malta as he had also confirmed the location to us . Sadly her Father passed on last year ,however I will never forget the phone calls which were fantastic and sadly I believe this gentleman may have been the last survivor of RAF Radar No 504 COL sited at Dingli Cliffs.  He will never be forgotten.
Rootschat is a wonderful site and has fantastic people who are far more knowledgable than I am and I know that thank you  is never enough , so please keep up the great work that you do .
You gave me great hope and assistance , I know that you will assist others , Thank you one and all.
         Bill Crawford

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 11 March 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing your story Bill. It is lovely to hear of your trip and the part Rootschatters have played in helping you find out more about your father's RAF days.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rover

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is a journey, not a guided tour
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 21 March 16 06:53 GMT (UK) »

The Radar Station at Dingli Cliffs Malta today

----
Isle of Wight :-  Walker ~  Mursell ~ Whelan ~ Coxhead ~ Silsbury
Berks :-  Upton ~ Cannon ~ Gleed ~ Coxhead ~
Hamps :-  Loader ~ Kibby / Kebby ~  
Liverpool :-   Branson ~
London :-  Walker ~ Hood ~ Loader ~ Coxhead
England :-  Cook ~ McAuliffe ~ Herbert
Wales Glamorgan :-  Phillips ~ Poustie ~
Scotland :-  Poustie ~ Telford ~ Telfer ~
Malta :-   Bartolo ~ Sultana ~ Herbert ~ Cook ~ Casha

Worldwide :-  Poustie ~ Pousty ~ Coxhead.

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rover, Thank you very much for the picture of the present Civilian & Military Radar which is at Dingli Cliff today.   This radar is on the site of the RAF No 242 AMES Radar unit which was located here from June 1940 till around 1944 and was under the Command of Flt Lt Clem Jones from Wales.
Most of the equipment on that unit was in Tunnels underground ,  the Lister generators , transmitters and receivers, the only part above ground was the standby equipment which was housed in a building about 100 yards away. The antenna was two 90 foot towers with the transmitter and receiver antenna on the top. The Radar unit my Father worked on is about 400 yards further along the cliff from this station and was the RAF No 504 unit from November 1940 till May 1943 when he was located to Egypt.

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 08 October 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hello it's Bill Crawford from Glasgow here once more and again my most sincere thanks to all the Rootschatters who assisted me before.
I am once again asking for some help on this subject, I am looking to find anyone who may have served on the RAF radar No 504 AMES or their relatives . This radar was located at Dingli cliff on Malta during WW2. through this website we were lucky and found a gentleman who served with my Father on this radar unit and the relative of the Second C.O who commanded this unit from 1942 till 1943.  I would also ask if their is anyone who reads this appeal who's father served in Malta with the RAF on radar during WW2 to get in touch as we are looking to try to find pictures of these units on Malta at this time.
The radar units we are trying to find anyone from during this time are RAF  radars No 241, 242, 504 at Dingli 314. 501 at Fort Ta-Silch and 502 at Madliena . Any assistance would be most welcome.
Thanks again to everyone for all their help .

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 01 May 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Bill

Discovered this thread during an initial trawl investigating AMES on Malta in which my father served. I have a photo album which contains about 30 photos of 233, 283 and 314 AMES. They are mainly personnel. 314 is specifically described as St Paul's Bay and there is a (fairly poor quality) site photo.

I've attached the best as a sampler.

For reference, album also cover 233 in Habbaniya, Iraq, 1942 and 283 Syracuse Italy 1943.