Author Topic: 24 Pump Street in 1932  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Carbs1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
24 Pump Street in 1932
« on: Monday 16 August 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have just started tentatively searching into my family history on my Dad's side.

He was born in May 1932 at 24 Pump Street in Derry. The building looks quite impressive from Google streetview and seems to be near a cathedral. Also it is currently used by a Women's Aid group and before this the Samaritans in what little I could find on google.

It would seem unlikely that it was a residential address so I was wondering if anyone would know where I might find out more information about the history of the address in 1932?

My Dad came over to the mainland aged 17 and lived in London and Coventry - he died in 1998 and I have never had the opportunity to visit Derry or NI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 24 Pump Street in 1932
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
welcome to rootschat,have you a name, maybe your fathers parents names. even though the building looks big it could be the case that his parents rented a room with other families. the church you see is st. columbs cathedral coi,its the oldest building in derry completed 1633. if you google it there is a lot of info. on it.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Carbs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, thanks for your reply.

My Dad's name was Jerome Anthony Carbury, his Dad was also Jerome (though I never met him) and his mum, Mary (who was my gran and who lived with my dad for many years).

My Gran was born at an address called Long Tower in 1904 which doesn't seem too far away from Pump Street - Google street view shows a modern-ish housing estate so it must have looked quite different back in the early 1900's.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
can you go back  further than your grandparents. its a very unusual name for derry. long tower street is now redeveloped but is still within the long tower church(google) where i am almost sure your grandparents would have married,most marriages took place in the brides parish.
when you have posted three times on the board you can then send private messages (if you wish) i hope this helps and as i am from derry myself and  i know the place very well.
do you still have relations in derry. please don't post anything about living relatives on the board that must be done by pm only.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Carbs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mary - my Gran's maiden name was Shesgreen though I have also seen it written down as Sheskin and I think there is also a connection to Balleybofey in Donegal - but I don't have any further details.

My grandad was from a village in County Down called Rathfriland but I have even less info about that side of the family.

I suspect that there was some type of 'family saga' back in the day and as I understand it from my Mum (who has also since passed away and who my Dad met in Coventry) my Gran came over to London leaving my Dad on a farm in Donegal in the late 1940's to be looked after by grand parents or other relations - he then followed her when he was about 17 in the early 50's but I have little idea about what really happened - my Dad also had an older sister who I think emigrated to Australia.

Offline TanyaA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
There is a Michael Shesgreen boarding at a house in Long Tower Street in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/No__4_Urban__West_Ward/Long_Tower_Street/1537412/

He is mentioned again in the 1911 census living with his wife Lena in Bishop Street

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban/Bishop_Street/599523/
Witherow

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
hi,i send you some info. by pm.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline darcy1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
Carbs1

I have seen your request for information on the shesgreen family (albeit now over a year ago).   Let me know if you have been able to trace the history - if not please contact me at this forum.

regards

Offline Carbs1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

After 6 or 7 years since posting my son and I are coming over at the end of this month. Hoping to take in Derry and Ballybofey. Thank you for your previous messages, we're going to search some of the addresses.

I have found an old photo of family members outside Shesgreen's Bar in Ballybofey which now looks like it is called Bonner's Corner Bar.

Michael Shesgreen, who I think may be my gran's, Mary Catherine's, dad was a publican so maybe he ran it at some point. I do remember my dad talking about that pub.

I am hoping to take in the Derry City v Limerick game, so if anyone knows how to get to their temporary ground and how long it would take, I would be grateful of info!

Many thanks

Carbs1 (Paul)