Author Topic: India Help  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Re: India Help
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Falleniceangel,

I just wanted to add that the marriage for May Lena Ennis on 14 January 1914 has her age as 24, so she would have been born ca. 1889, and she was living in Allahabad, which is a place you mentioned. Also, her father is given as Alick Ennis. She married Alfred Harry Graham. 

The birth of Mary Helena Ennis gives her as the daughter of Charles Alexander and Agnes Ennis, so presumably that is not her.

If this is of interest, I can give you the rest.

Amazing that you found your cousin on here!

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMR1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 January 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan. May Lena is the daughter of Charles Alexander and Agnes Ennis. One of her sisters was my great grandma Margaret Ellen, who was known as Nellie Margaret, so I guess it's possible May's given name was Mary Helena.
Falleniceangel seemed very excited to find that we were cousins but I haven't heard from her since we first made contact last year.

Donna

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I just read through the whole set of posts again, but I'm having difficulty getting a handle on it all as I haven't looked at this for a while.

As regards Falleniceangel, I can only say that I've had several experiences where I thought people didn't want to answer me, but it turned out that they were just too busy or didn't get the message or something. It certainly sounds like she wanted to contact you.

I would try PM'ing her again, giving her your email address and asking for hers. If you already gave her your email address, don't forget to check your spam folder, though if she sent you a message some time ago and it ended up in your spam folder, it might not be there any more.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Alan

P.S. I might perhaps add to this that it appears that the records from British India are fairly incomplete, as far as I can gather. I finally made it to the British Library last year to do some research on someone's family. I didn't find what I was looking for there, but actually looking at how the records were arranged and stored there enabled me to make a breakthrough afterwards on the Internet. The surname I was looking for was a double barrelled one, "Austen Lewis", but I found a bunch of records, some with the surname of Lewis with Austen or Austin as a first name. I am very far from being an expert in these records, but I can certainly understand Falleniceangel's initial post, where she says she can't find the Indian records. They may simply not be there or they may be there in some variant of the expected name perhaps.
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk