Author Topic: VERTINE in BC/QC - Help Please  (Read 8526 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
VERTINE in BC/QC - Help Please
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I found a death record indexed on ancestry awhile ago for a man named Clifford Stanley Vertine, who was born in 1896 in Wales but died in British Columbia on February 4 1979, aged 82. Place of death was given as Victoria.

Searching the familysearchlabs site on a whim, I came across a record of Clifford's death which confirms him as my man but also has him listed as married to a lady called Elvira Maria Sestrep. I know Clifford was in Wales until c1926 when he went to Canada. He spent some time in Montreal and I do not know if he married Elvira there or in British Columbia, but I do know he came back to England a few times, in 1934, 1935, 1938, and 1950. In 1950, Elvira came with him.

Clifford may have had a son named Clifford Stanley Vertine also, as I found one living in Victoria from 1995-2002 in the BC Phone Books on an*estry. I cannot be sure so apologies for being vague.

Is there anyway I could try and found out where Clifford and Elvira married? Or if they had children, in Canada please. I have no experience on Canadian research, except tracing to trace a living rellie a while back. I'd appreciate any help anyone on the boards could give me.

Thankyou for reading this message,

Matthew.

P.S Vertine was Anglicised from WERTHEIM, but Clifford appears to have spent his whole life spelling his name Vertine.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VERTINE in BC/QC - Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.islandnet.com/bccfa/search.php

Clifford Stanley Vertine
Royal Oak Burial Park (Section Q)
Victoria, Falaise Drive
Vancouver Island
Reference VGS-ROBP-MRK
He appears to be the only Vertine buried in this cemetery.

Greater Victoria Public Library
"Ask A Librarian" under Contact us.
http://gvpl.ca/about-the-library/contact-us/

I would use the Ask a Librarian section for an obituary look-up to see if it lists living relatives. You can also contact the cemtery to see if they have more information.

www.canada411.ca
is an on-line phone directory but no Vertine's are listed.

It appears that he died in Saanich, BC so I would concentrate on the greater Victoria area to search for info and work backwards from there.

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 August 10 03:32 BST (UK) »
There was a C S Vertine in the phone book in Victoria 1995-2002.  S/he may still be there.
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 10 05:00 BST (UK) »
When Clifford travelled back from England, arriving New York Dec 1938, his record stated he was single and he was heading back home which was 2174 Sherbrooke St. West, Montreal.

On the UK incoming passenger list for Aug 1945 his age was entered under the column for "not accompanied by husband or wife"

This would narrow down the possible dates for marriage between Dec 1938 and Aug 1945. 

On the 1950 passenger list Elviera M.'s age is given as 36 which gives her a birth year of 1914.

http://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal.html
You can search the Montreal directories to find when and where he lived in Montreal and perhaps Elvira's maiden name is present in Montreal as well.

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Matthew

Would you like a copy of Clifford's death registration?  I go to the family history library quite frequently and can certainly do a look-up for you. 

Susan

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all for these fantastic replies and links, I'll have a good look through them today.

Also, googling a bit more myself too it seems as though Clifford's wife was Elvie Sestrap, whose father Mike seems to have been Estonian and was a very well known face in a town in Alberta, so that gives me the correct spelling of the name.

Susan, thankyou very much for your kind offer. Anything on the Vertine's would be very warmly welcomed. I have never seen Clifford's death so if you could get hold of one for me that would be brilliant. I'm clinging to the possibility he had children but it might not materialise.

Regards and thanks again everyone :)

Matt.

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
I found the following in the 1916 census from Red Deer, Alberta:

Mike Sestrep...head...33...Russia....Lutheran---...1904...1909..Leafland??..y..n..Russian..owned a store
Fannie Sestrep... wife....27...Finland...Lutheran...1909...no......Finnish..y..n..Finnish
Elvie Sestrep ...daughter...3...Alberta....Lutheran.....-......-.....Finnish..y..n...Finnish
Arvo Sestrep...son...1...Alberta....Lutheran...............-......-.....Finnish..y..n...Finnish
Ono Sestrep...son...6....United States...Lutheran..1913..-....Finnish..y..n...Finnish

First position: name
2: position in fam
3: age
4: birthplace
5: religion
6: year of immigration
7: year of naturalization
8: race/tribe
9: speak english?
10: speak french?
11: language spoken other than english?
12: occupation
The census also stated they were all Canadian, but I don't understand that since it also says that Fannie did not do her naturalization.  Maybe the person who answered the questions simply didn't know the year she did it???  Maybe s/he assumed they were all Canadian???

If this is them, Red Deer is a large town/small city about an hour north of me and I will definitely drive through it on Monday.  If you can find anything else out, I can also take pictures for you.  Maybe he was well known because of the store he owned???  Maybe it's still there???

If you PM me your email address, I can email the census to you from ancestry.
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hey Matthew  :)

Check out www.ourroots.ca  there might a mention in some old books.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi andarah,

I have PM'd you with thanks that I repeat on here, you have been very helpful as has everybody on this subject.

Thankyou for that link Karen :) I shall check it out now!

My Vertine/ Wertheim's look set to take over Canada aswell as England and Wales lol...keep finding them everywhere!

Matt :)