Author Topic: Alexander  (Read 14553 times)

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
Alexander
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
My 2nd great grandmother  (Barbary L Alexander) was from Dundee, Scotland.
I found her in an 1850 census fo Connecticut as a 15 yr old servant with 1 school year completed in US. As far as I know she came to US without family, but she may have but before Ellis Island. I think I may have found her in the 1848 census for Scotland (her name does not appear after that) with her parents as well is in familysearch.org. Can anyone help me?

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that you've the info below.

I don't know which census the 1848 one is and would beinterested to hear about it.

The 1841 census on freecen shows the following family which seems to fit the bill

Civil Parish: Glenbervie Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 1 Page: 4
Address: House On Mains

Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    ALEXANDER   Peter              M   35                    Ag. Lab.    Kincardineshire       
    ALEXANDER   Eliza               F   35                        Kincardineshire       
    ALEXANDER   Barbara          F   6                         Kincardineshire       
    ALEXANDER   Margaret        F   5                         Kincardineshire       
    ALEXANDER   David              M   3                         Kincardineshire       
    ALEXANDER   George            M   1                        Kincardineshire   

This ties in with the 1834 birth to Peter Alexander and Elizabeth Ross which you'll have from the IGI.  The absence of a middle name to Barbara is of no consequence.

The IGI has 2 further chldren to the couple James b 12 Mar 1843 and William b 17 Mar 1845 - all births 'extracted'.   Using the search facility does not bring up Margaret as a daughter of theirs - mybe a relative - or daughter?  As you'll be aware the 1841 census does not give relationships.

Marriage for Peter Alexander and Eliza. Ross is 14 June 1834 - Fordoun, Kincardine.

I can't find this family on freecen for 1851 - can anyone see them elswhere?

Regards,   Steve 

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
This is the same census, I found. Also the names you gave me are the same parents as what I found on familysearch.org.   Peter Alexander was a common name in that area. Any idea where I can find who his parents were? Also I noticed you have the Alexanders as McDonalds. I have read they can either be McDonalds or MacAllisters. This part of my family has been the hardest ones to research. Even my U.K. Wilson  wasn't so difficult  :).
Any info greatly appreciated

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
emmmm, I am not understanding the Macdonald/MaAllister part....are you saying that the  family name Alexander, was also known as Macdonald / McAllister.  Am interested as I have Macdonalds marrying McAllister from Montrose area.

Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

Sorry, I don't understand your McDonald refrence either.

So, you basically have a Barbara Alexander who you think was born in Dundee or surrounding - the above is not too far away?  However, she may have been a Barbara Alexander whose name was not registered - a not unusual occurrence before 1855 - and the family above may be totally unrelated.  On 'your' Barbaras death entry is there any indication of parents names.  What were her childrens names?

The marriage entry for Peter in the OPRs is unlikely to give you any other information other than the couple were 'of this parish'.  You occasionally get a fathers name only.  If he or Elizabeth died after 1855 and you'd followed them through census records to get a death 'window' their death entry would give parents names if the informant knew them.

In this instance if they can't be found on census records after 1841 there are two options - a catastrophic disease event which kills all the family - or scatters them far and wide due to parents death/s - or more like emigration.  They were at least alive until 1845.

I'll take a step back and see if othes can come up with something.

Regards,  Steve

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Kincardine's quite a bit a way from Dundee.  Deyman what makes you say she was from Dundee?

MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
My great aunt, who is the granddaughter of Barbary told me she was from Dundee. Barbary married Tolman Hull Bradley and had 1 child from him....Alexander Tolman Bradley.Barbary died 11 mos 6 days after Alexander was born. She was in her mid 20's when she died.I am now waiting for a death certificate from Ct in hopes it will tell me more info.
When I typed in Alexander Clan (doing research for the family tartan), I read of the history of Alexanders,,,,some conflicting. Some say they came from Alexander the Great while other people claim either from McDonald or Mac(Mc)Allister.
In the 1850 Danbury, Ct census, as well as her headstone for her grave and from what the Danbury Historical Society found for me her name was actually Barbary.

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
She died so young - such a shame.

Is there a marriage certificate for her and Tolman?
MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
I don't have a marriage certificate. I do have the date and town of where they were married thanks to the Historical Society. I knw the marriage cert would tell teh names but I would think the death cert as well (which is what I am waiting for).
Checking on the Scottish census using her parents same name, I know they outlived her, but don't know where or when they died.