Author Topic: Information on Andrew Wood 1816 Please  (Read 9722 times)

Offline metha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on Andrew Wood 1816 Please
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 02:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any other infomration on Andrew Wood born abt 1816 - occupation - Mason.  Married Margaret Poustie 1842.  They had three children - Christian  1844, Penelope Poustie Wood 1850 and William Wood 1854 in Edinburgh - my great grandfather.

I am stuck  -  would really like to know his date of death - his parents names - where he was born etc.  If there is anyone who can assist me with any additional information on the Wood family I would very grateful.

I am not sure where to go next

Regards, Sue

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Andrew Wood 1816 Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
1851 census 1 Newport Street Edinburgh - all children b Edinburgh

Andrew Wood 38 stone mason b Kilconquhar Fife
Margaret   34 b Elie Fife
Margaret   8
Christian 6
Helen  4
Mary  2
Penelope  10 Months
James Thorn 50 lodger b Kirriemuir, Forfarshire
Edinburgh St Cuthberts ED 50A Page  13

From http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

ANDREW WOOD   Birth:  24 APR 1812  Christening:  03 MAY 1812   Kilconquhar, Fife   Father:  ANDREW WOOD    Mother:  MARGARET IZETT 

Also

WILLIAM FERRIE WOOD  Birth:  23 JAN 1814    Christening:  08 FEB 1814   Kilconquhar      Father:  ANDREW WOOD    Mother:  MARGARET ISAT

ANDREW WOOD   Spouse:  MARGARET IZETT   Marriage:  23 JUN 1810   Kilconquhar

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline metha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 August 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol

Thank you so much for this information.  I would never have been able to find this.

You have provided me with an additional children.  I had William born 1854 (my great grandfather), Christian born 1844 and Penelope born 1850.

I am a little confused about Andrew Wood's Mother - I think Andrew Wood born 1812 is right given the census was 1851 and he was listed as being 38 but I am not sure which Margaret is right.  Maybe the first one Margaret Izett. Is there perhaps another way I can verify this?  Please excuse my ignorance, I am only rather new to this.  Many thanks again, Sue

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Margaret Izett/Isat is one and the same person - just different spellings in the parish records.

Many people were illiterate in those days so names were often spelt as they were spoken

Here is Helen's christening

HELEN WOOD   Christening:  19 JUL 1846   Lothian Road Associate Congregation, Edinburgh, Midlothian   Father:  ANDREW WOOD    Mother:  MARGARET POUSTIE 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
Do you already have details of Margaret's parents

MARGARET POUSTIE   Birth:  18 JUN 1816   Elie, Fife   
Father:  ARCHIBALD POUSTIE   Mother:  MARGARET LAING 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Another child you didn't know about - here's the 1861 entry - presume Andrew died between 1851-1861

44 India place Edinburgh - all children b Edinburgh

Margaret Wood 45 b Elie - professor cook (suspect it should be professional)
Margaret   18
Christina   16
Penelope   11
Andrew   9
William   7
Alexander Sinclair 4 (shown as Linclair) boarder
Edinburgh St Stephen ED 94 Page  8 Line 17

Offline metha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

First let me once again thank you very much for all your efforts.  I did have Margaret Poustie's parents.  A John Poustie emailed me that Andrew Wood and Margaret Poustie had a son Christian b. 1844 so I have being trying to pick up from that piece of information.  I also had the address of India Place Edinburge - there began my problem with the Wood family trying to go back to find Andrews Parents.   

You have very successfully done that for me.  Do you think it is possible to go further?  It now appears that Andrew Wood and Margaret  Izett had another son William Ferrie Wood b.1914 with Andrew (son) b.1912

This is much more than I was expecting to find.  Kind regards, Sue

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
They were certainly fond of the name Margaret in this family!!

WILLIAM FERRIE WOOD    Spouse:  MARGARET BARON    Marriage:  23 NOV 1839   Kilconquhar, Fife

Follow these instructions and it will give you the names of all the children born to the above couple

We don't know where or when Andrew Wood snr and Margaret Izett/Isat were born, and there are a number of possible births on the IGI in Fife but not specifically in Kilconquhar (I believe it is pronounced Kinocker locally)

PARENT SEARCH ON IGI

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Input fathers name and surname and  mothers christian name  and maiden name

REGION – select British Isles from the menu

COUNTRY – select Scotland

COUNTY (will appear when you select COUNTRY)  – select Fife

Click SEARCH

Offline metha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 April 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol  Thank you for everything you have done for me.  Unfortunately, just after your last email I was hospitalised on two occasions and it has taken me until now to try to pick up the threads of where I was up to. 

So I am just emailing to say thank you for all your assistance and to let you know that I actually did as you suggested however sadly no children appeared for William Ferrie Wood and Margaret Baron so on this occasion I really do think I have gone as far as I can sitting here at my computer in Australia.  I am really happy though because I have actually gotten a lot further than I had dreamed.  Thank you again, Regards Sue