Author Topic: George "Digger" Stanley- Boxer (Romany Gypsy Family)  (Read 31990 times)

Offline Victoriak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George "Digger" Stanley- Boxer (Romany Gypsy Family)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 April 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Oops! I didn't even think of that!! Silly me... Thankyou x

Offline Grundy81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, i was told years ago by my Great Grandad Sam Hoadley that my Great Great Uncle was Digger Stanley the boxer and i'm just trying to trace him back and came across this and wondered if you could help? Thank you

Offline mcartdon1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 December 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
george fathered two children with lydia huxley. they were ada elisabeth huxley 1906 and betsy elizabeth huxley 1909 they were never married. lydia married a king in 1912 and died 1967. the daughters were elizabeth ward when married died 1984 and betsy who married george read 1931, betsy b 1909  remarried a second time to george rouse 1938 and died" betsy" rouse in 1949 in chiswick.  my cousin is wendy d read b 1933 to betsy read chiswick

Offline Brentwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 February 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Digger was my Great Grandfather on my mother’s side. My Grandmother was Daisy Kathleen Stanley, Diggers daughter. I would like to contact any other relatives of Diggers. Thanks

Offline Brentwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 February 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
He Jew, sorry not at the moment but I have only been digging records for one week. If I do come accross him I'll leave a message, regards
Hi Boxer
Digger was my Great Grandfather on my mother’s side. My Grandmother was Diggers daughter, Daisy Kathleen Stanley.

Offline catcs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hey,

I was told by my Granddad today that we are distantly related to the boxer Digger Stanley, my Great Great Grandmother was apparently related to him. Her name was Mabel Lamb, Smith was her maiden name. Her Husband was Riley Lamb - I wondered if anyone on this thread know those names and how they were related? Thanks!

Offline MomsandPops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 July 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Yet another Digger Stanley descendant question. Is anyone is aware of another child of Dahlia/Daylia Stanley? I am trying to determine if my great grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth Burrows, is Digger's granddaughter. She was "Gypsy" (didn't use the word Roma), and may have been born around 1887-1890, possibly in Ponytpool, Monmouthshire, Wales.

I've read through the posts on this topic, and don't see this question. My apologies if I just overlooked something. Sarah Elizabeth was:
•   Documented to have lived in the Coed e Gric aka Griffithstown poorhouse (in 1911 and 1939).
•   Documented to have died there in 1953.
•   DNA appears to indicate a relationship with Stanleys, and Coopers.
•   DNA appears to indicate a Berrows/Burrows, Matthews/Mathews, Couzens, Parsons relationship.
•   There is only person, Allen Burrows, who I can find as a bridge between those families.
•   Per electoral registers, Allen Burrows lived together with Dahlia/Daylia Stanley after her children with William Rose were born.
•   However, Sarah Elizabeth was born before Dahlia’s children with William Rose.
•   And, depending on the actual birth year, Dahlia may have been pretty young to have children when Sarah Elizabeth was born.

Thoughts? Insights? I’ve gotten to the proverbial brick wall!

I'm posting a similar question to this in the Roma board as well – I hope that isn't violating any rules.
Best,
Jan

Offline Charlie bill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 December 21 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Wa searching and come across this i have a photo  of digger and his manager  with his belt.
My dads nan was goggy stanley who seemed to be quite popular within the stanley family. i used to see my dads aunt poker and shirley . My dads aunt nell would tell alot of stories on digger etc very nice to see things about him online .