Author Topic: Agnes Purdie  (Read 7572 times)

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Purdie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage           9 Feb 1852
Groom Name                  thomas PURDY
Bride Name                    agnes MCALEECE
Church                           Buckna Presbyterian Church
Parish                            Racavan
Civil District                    Ballymena
County                           Antrim

Thomas father was William and Agnes father was Patrick

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline ckbrussell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 August 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the really helpful pointers on William.  The plot thickens because in the scottish census there are two brothers, but the family tree has three, William, Thomas and Samuel.  They changed the spelling to Purdie in Scotland.  Where do the all come from?  I can't find her marriage record, but 3 sons born illegitimate sounds a lot for a family in those times to accept.  I keep wondering if she married another Purdie/y.  I am sure it was not that uncommon.  Perhaps he died and she left the country.  Something often makes us move, something big.  Still puzzling away.  She is the real enigma.  Mind you she married a man, my g grandfather who had 3 wives and 18 children.

Offline ckbrussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 August 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
It looks like her mother died in 1870.  I was wondering if the boys are not her sons, but her nephews or brothers even.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 September 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Loughconnelly would be the townland name and would still exist although now road names have replaced the townland as a person's address.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ann Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
hi catherine loos like we are from the same family, william purdie was my g grandfather and brother to agnes purdie (bolton), from what i have found agnes came to scotland in 1899 after the birh of edward george in 1899 she also had william in 1893 and samual in 1895 agnes married peter bolton on 31st dec 1900 in netherburn dalserf scotland she is down as a spinster in the marrage certificate agens parents thomas and agnes (nancy) had 7 children william, mary ann, thomas, elizabeth , edward george, agnes ,and josephall born in loughconnely ballymena ireland thomas, edward, and elizabeth died within day of each other from diphtheria in 1874... agnes and peter had 5 children thomas purdie in 1901 agnes in 1905 isabella in 1906 margaret in 1908 lizzie in 19011

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 September 17 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann and welcome to Rootschat,

According to Catherine's  profile, she hasn't been online since 2012.Hopefully she will see your message.

I am the G granddaughter of the above John Purdy from Loughconnelly( and his wife Mary Elizabeth McNeill )

John is not a son of Agnes McAleece and Thomas Purdy, and brother of  Agnes Purdie . I must have somehow missed  this thread  back in 2010 ,or I would have posted in it.
There were two Thomas Purdy's  in Loughconnelly.

John's parents were Thomas Purdy and Jenny Graham ( Thomas and Jenny married in 1850,two years prior to Thomas and Agnes  ).

John's father, Thomas Purdy died in 1869 in Loughconnelly, Jenny (Thomas's wife) was present at Thomas's death. Jenny  Purdy (nee Graham) died in 1897 also at their home in Loughconnelly -John  her son was present at death-  as stated on both death certificates.

My g grandfather John had only one sibling ,an older half sister from  his father's previous marriage(Thomas Purdy was a widower when he married Jenny) . His sister's name was also called Agnes/Nancy. Nancy was born abt 1847 ( age is according to her death cert, and pension records) , she married a Robert McCroy, lived and died in Ireland in 1919.John himself died in 1920 of a heart attack, died at his home in loughconnelly , in front of his wife and children ,my gran.

The two Thomas Purdy's are most likely to be nephew and uncle as both have a father called William. Ie  The Thomas who wed Agnes McAleece, his father William is the brother of my Thomas who wed Jenny Graham .

Hope that helps
Kind Regards :)

Ps  edited to add
quote from your above statement " from what i have found agnes came to scotland in 1899 after the birh of edward george in 1899 she also had william in 1893 and samual in 1895 agnes married peter bolton on 31st dec 1900"

William's  exact birth is 23rd Oct 1892- his birth cert with image is  on here , it's free to search and view the images https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
William Purdy  also has a middle name ( which looks like a surname... Mc Curley?, writing is hard to read, maybe someone else can read what that second Christian name says) I guess Agnes named  him after the child's  father. William is illegitimate, there is no father's name on his birth, and the registrar has crossed out the Formerly under her name.

Samuel's birth is also on there too , his birth date is  7th dec 1894, again she has given the child a middle name, this time it is the surname Mullen ,again  there is no father on cert and formerly has been crossed out,  At a first glance of  the birth certs , it looks to me as if Agnes maybe naming the children after their fathers

George's birth cert can also be viewed . His name on birth cert is George Edward. He was born on 17th dec 1898. Same as his other siblings , there is no father  named on cert. and mother has formerly crossed out, hence indicating that she is a spinster .

Going by their births, all 3 children are illegitimate, but it seems Agnes may have left clues to who the fathers were by giving 2 of her children middle names on their birth certs (that are surnames), which is a good consolation
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Ann Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
hi cell and thankyou for your reply i knew there was 2 thomas purdys and that they could possibly be related cousins ? maybe. thanks for the link i have found my grandmothers birth record ellen purdy it makes it more special when you see it hand writen and not just a print on ancestry. thomas and nancy moved to scotland with thier children thomas died in 1905 and nancy (agnes) in 1908
again thank you so much ann

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 September 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
No problem :)
I don't think the two Thomas were 1st cousins (otherwise you'd have two brothers both called William), it's more likely that they may be uncle and nephew.
My Thomas Purdy was a lot older than your Thomas, he was born  abt 1793 , he married a far younger woman than himself(Jenny was born in 1821)

I think it's more likely that your Thomas's father William was a brother to my Thomas Purdy , (who's own  father was also a William)
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u