Author Topic: Obituary of Mary Bridget McDonnell  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary of Mary Bridget McDonnell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am getting back to my research on Mae McDonnell.  I did order her birth certificate, as well as her death certificate and the death certificate of her husband Richard. Also, her marriage certificate.  However, they didn't really help me.  Her parents are listed as John Cullen and Mary Anne Sheridan. I do have one lead that says Mae was raised by her aunt Kittie Leary.
I have also written to the Wexford Historical Society asking if there is an obituary for her and/or a will.
In the meantime, if anyone has access to her obituary, I would appreciate it. It may name some crucial relatives that will help me sort out her connection to the Davis and O'Leary families. In letters to Canada in the 1960s, she claims to be a cousin of  Christopher Harfield West, a Davis descendant, and to her uncle Michael O'Leary, Victoria Cross recipient.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 May 15 00:10 BST (UK) »
Today, I went back to the Wexford Historical Society and found another page which states that they do NOT do genealogical research. So an obituary will not be forthcoming from them.
There is no will on Proni for Mae's date of death or area.
The Enniscorthy Echo says the library would have old copies of the Echo but the library does not do research.
Is anyone willing to go to library to look up the obituary for Mae McDonnell who died March 13, 1985 or her husband Richard McDonald (as per death certificate) who died Aug 27, 1993?
Thank you
Peggy

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
There is no will on Proni for Mae's date of death or area.

I'm not sure, but I don't think PRONI would have indexes/wills for Republic of Ireland, unless there was property in N.I.
The Index calenders for 26 counties are in the National Archive in Dublin.

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
PRONI, Belfast only covers wills/administration in Northern Ireland.

There may be an obituary available online here- www.irishnewsarchives.com
I haven't had to look for any Wexford papers so am not sure if there's anything on that site for Wexford for the period you want. However, most Irish obituaries are fairly concise and usually don't give much details so relatives may not be mentioned by name.

If you are looking for information other than those 2 obituaries then you do need to tell us exactly what. For example, you said "she claims to be a cousin of  Christopher Harfield West" but there are at least several men with that name which makes it virtually impossible for us to help without more detail from you.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you, eadaoin. I will look for the wills of different family members, such as Mary Bridget's mother who died in Dublin.
Thank you aghadowey. I did look in the irishnewsarchives. It is looking like Mary Bridget did not have an obituary. Not sure yet about her husband Richard.
Peggy