Author Topic: South Australia William Charles DEGENHARDT  (Read 15802 times)

Offline gdthompson156

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia William Charles DEGENHARDT
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi.
There is a relationship between Sir John Morphett (1809-1892) and Amy Fisher Morphett.
Amy is Sir John's third cousin once removed.
Their common ancestors are Thomas Morphett (c1669-1722) and his wife Jane Smith.

Line to Sir John Morphett:
Thomas Morphett (c1669-1722) (wife Jane Smith)
Thomas Morphett (c1712-1795) (wife Mary Turner)
John Morphett (c1742-1813) (wife Mary Paine)
Nathaniel Morphett (c1779-1848) (wife Mary Gliddon)
Sir John Morphett (1809-1892) (wife Elizabeth Fisher)

Line to Amy Fisher Morphett:
Thomas Morphett (c1669-1722) (wife Jane Smith)
John Morphett (c1716-1753) (wife Elizabeth Rolfe)
Jeremiah Morphett (c1752-1829) (wife Elizabeth Furner)
George Morphett (c1797-1882) (wife Sarah Taylor)
George Morphett (c1836-1921) (wife Ellen Grant)
Amy Fisher Morphett (1879-1955) (husband William Charles Degenhardt - afterwards FISHER)(1882-1954).

William Charles Degenhardt is often called "Charles William" - His funeral Notice has "Charles William" while the burial record at West Terrace Cemetery has "William Charles"

Advertiser (Adelaide, SA) Wednesday 26 May 1954 Page 24
FISHER. — THE FRIENDS of the Late Mr. CHARLES WILLIAM FISHER, late of 84 Stanley street, North Adelaide, are respectfully informed that his Remains were privately laid to rest on TUESDAY, May 25, in the West Terrace Cemetery. Rev. S. A. Mainstone officiated. CLAUDE TREVELION, A.F.D.A. Funeral Directors. Head Office and Chapel. 56-58 Magill road, Norwood. MF2084.

WILLIAM CHARLES FISHER
DETAILS
Interred on 25/05/1954 at 71 Years of age.
Previously lived in NTH ADELAIDE.

Has the death of his first wife [May Elizabeth Flanagan: father John Margitich] been found?
A thought: Even though the children published an in memoriam in the name Degenhardt, this may not have been the name she was using when she died.

Was she previously married OR is she the illegitimate child of a Miss Flanagan and the said John Margitich?

Regards

Offline Familytree21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
William Charles DEGENHARDT, as mention father was Robert Degenhardt and mother Louisa Mary fisher, but does anyone know any more information about his parents such as their date of birth or when they married?

I am presuming that with a surname like Degenhardt ( sounds german) if his father was born in Australia and if maybe Robert was born in Australia or Germany maybe there is something on immigration or ship records?

Fingers cross as i realise I am really late to this conversation

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
This family is very complicated since their German names have been confused with each other.

Four DEGENHARDT brothers arrived 1846.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/heerjeebhoyrustomjeepatel1846.shtml

One was Johann Carl Ludwig/Louis b. 01. 03. 1824, But he also appears listed when his parents emigrated 1849. Maybe Ludwig/Louis/Lewis returned home to accompany his parents. http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/georgewashington1849.shtml

Also, a fellow passenger named Fredricke Caroline (Lina=nickname for Caroline) HAMSTER (aka COTTE/KOTTE) came with them and she was the first wife of Ludwig/Louis. There is no record of a marriage in SA but possibly they married after applying to emigrate and before sailing 25 Oct 1848  since their first child was born in SA 4 Sep 1849.
Louis and Lina were the parents of Robert (a twin) born 1 May 1854.
Five children were born between 1849 and 1856.

Lina/Caroline died 6 Feb 1860, and brother-in-law Gustav was the informant.
Louis remarried 30 July 1860.  I guess he needed someone to look after his young children?

Essie

Offline Familytree21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Danke Essie no pun intended with my use of german.
I am new to rootschat so just discovered all this information so just digesting it all.