Author Topic: Help with dating a sinister-looking family group.  (Read 3702 times)

Offline fortmap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with dating a sinister-looking family group.
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I recently found some old family photos. Nobody knows who the people in many of the photos are, so I'm doing my best to figure it out.
There is a group of four, three older women and a boy that feature in a few photos, always looking rather sinister. Though I'm sure they were actually lovely.

Perhaps if I had a good estimate as to the date on one of these, it might help my mission.

So, what do you think?

Offline fortmap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with dating a sinister-looking family group.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Second attempt to upload it...

Offline fortmap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
I might as well put up one of the others...

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
A lot of victorians looked sinister as they thought it wasnt decent to smile in photographs. I dont think I have ever seen a photo of that era with the subjects smiling!

I would say 1890- 1900 as a date?

The second photo looks obviously like a mother with her children. Also, victorians did not touch in photos unless they were close relations.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline fortmap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that. I didn't know about the touching thing.

I'm open to anybody else who has anything else to add, or to contradict! :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
I would agree with 1890, but would make the final date a little later say 1910, as costume did not change that fast in many areas. The lack of touching which I didn't know about either does fit with the general Victorian ethos.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
Yes I would agree with the latest date of 1910.  It's interesting to see the family in their Sunday best and then more day to day clothing. I wonder if the father was taking the photos?
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline fortmap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
OK, I have a third picture.
Their poses seem much less Victorian in this one. Perhaps this upsets the pre-1900 theories?  ???

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
Definetely seems around 1910 or even slightly later.... also now seems positive that the father or other very close relation was taking the photo- he obviously caught them in a very natural pose lol!!
They are fantastic photos and in great condition, you are very lucky. Maybe the father was a photography enthusiast?