Author Topic: David Reese/Rees of Shropshire and Kerry, Wales  (Read 1069 times)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Reese/Rees of Shropshire and Kerry, Wales
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for any information on David Herbert Reese (or Rees) possibly born in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire about 1835/6. He came to Australia and married in 1862 and settled in Chiltern, Victoria, as a butcher.

There is no information on his death or marriage certificates about his parents, but the 1841 census appears to show him living in Bishop's Castle and in the 1851 he is in Welshtown, Montgomeryshire with parents David, a shoemaker, and Sarah. According to the IGI a David Rheece is baptised in Bishop's Castle in April 1936, parents David and Sarah.

I'm keen to find if this is my David Reese and anything about his background. His erstwhile father David appears to have been born about 1812 and Sarah about 1806 or 08. I can find no record of their marriage but David Sr seems to have died in Forden, Montgomery, in Dec 1881. The 1881 census seems to have him at 71 in the Forden Workhouse.

David and Sarah seem to have at least five other children: Richard, Jane, John, Edward and Margaret, born between 1832 and 1846, the first four in Shropshire (John in Clun and Edward in Shrewsbury, apparently) and the last in Newtown, Montgomery.

Anything at all on these people would be really helpful

cheers
GazT