Author Topic: Re: Jane Langston  (Read 7325 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Langston
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:44 BST (UK) »
I have just found the Old Bailey notice- not much help
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org//browse.jsp?id=t18451215-193&div=t18451215-193&terms=langston#highlight

it's that Aldgate/Aldersgate which bothers me - I know nothing about the places.

Did she marry- wondering if a marriage certificate gave her father's name?
There is this which is not far away from Aldgate (according to googlemaps)
1841 HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 2; Folio: 10; Page: 12
Bermondsey, Surrey
James Langston 60yr  blacksmith not born in county
Ann Langston 20 yrs
Jane Langston 15 yrs

I think James dies later in 1841 and I can't see either of the two girls in 1851.

Realistically though , it is too difficult to say- especially if Jane states she is from Sligo  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mollymandysb and Heywood
Thank you both for your help, I live in Sydney Australia, my ancestors originally came from England and Ireland, there were five convicts in my family, for some reason as soon as they were convicted and sent to Tasmania, it was as though their life before that ceased to exist. 
Heywood, the Susannah Bennett that you mention  from St Botolph, Aldersgate would, I think, have to have been Jane's employer, too much of a coincidence.
  Jane was granted her freedom in 1850 and married John Turner in May 1850, there was no mention of parents for either of them, they had three children, she died in November 1880 aged 57 years, and is buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery in Hobart Tasmania.
  On some of her records her last name is given as Longstone, I think that was just an error, as on everything else her surname was Langstone.
Thankyou again mollymandysb for your kindness re: photos, I have just gone on to the web page for St Andrew's Church, Droitwich, and registered with them.
Kind regards,
Thelly

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
That's a pity about the lack of information on marriage certificate. I was looking for Langston not Langstone but it hasn't made much difference.
There is a Frederick B Langstone 12 yrs in an orphanage in London in 1841 and I can't find him afterwards.
I wonder if her brother emigrated- have you checked Australian records for him?
I can't think of anything else- sorry.
good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 August 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,
Thanks for trying, none of Jane's family came to Australia, she appears to have three spellings of her name, Langstone, Langston and Longston, I agree with you she doesn't appear to have existed before her trial.
Thanks again,
Thelly

Offline meadbh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 November 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The Jane Langston aged 15, living with her father, James, and sister, Ann, in Bermondsey, was my husband's gt-gt-grandmother. She was born in Bermondsey 10 Dec 1824, and in1843 she married a widower, John Ward,  with whom she had four sons - so not the right Jane, I'm afraid.

Kath

Offline Kaye Elizabeth Hodel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thelly
I just came across your post as I was trying to remember where  jane langston was from as it is St patricks day.   I have her in my family tree as  3rd great grandmother.  It has been some time since i have been on Ancestory.com and am not currently a member and i know my tree has a few mustakes but this what I have
She was narried twice her first husband i think died before 1850 but unsure of his name or where i got this info now.  But  then 8 may 1850 she married John TURNER at Trinity church in Hobart Tasmania she was protestant.  She had 3 children  Sarah Ann Jane Turner also born 8 may 1850 - d1932( i never noticed that before same day as marriage!?) Frederick John Turner 6 mar 1852 - d1927 and Elizabeth.12 aug 1854 -d1894. Jane and John lived at 55 Bathurst street hobart and i have her brother as bedes langston but  now looking at that either she kept her maiden name or perhaps Bedes was a husband?  Therefore i cant find her parents perhaps her maiden name is not langston.  Anyway i hope the info i have given will help you in your detective work you can work the other way to either verify or dismiss.  Good luck  oh and does this mean we are related somewhere?
Regards Kaye

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 March 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaye,
Received your message this morning, I put that post up about six years ago, I have the same information as you re Jane Langston, I have a feeling she was possibly married and perhaps never divorced, I looked up my files and I have a Bedes and a Frederick, as she and John named their son, Frederick, she perhaps named the baby after her father! (he, Frederick John Turner was my g-grandfather), it is very hard to get information about convicts, after they were convicted, most of them hardly did anything wrong, England wanted to populate Australia, hence all those people being sent here, on her marriage certificate she had said she was a widow, not sure, other records say she was not, she was born about 1815/16.
Thank you for contacting me, I guess we are related.
Cheers,
Thelly

Offline Kaye Elizabeth Hodel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thelly
thanks so much for the response sorry I did not note that it was 6 years ago.   I have so much on my plate just at the moment but I look forward to continuing working on my family tree.  Yes Turners are on my mothers side I hope I got the right one in my tree as I know I went terribly wrong at one stage and thought I had Royal connections ( darn)  So it is lovely to think we are related  when I get a chance I will confirm.   
regards
Kaye Hodel

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 March 18 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaye,
That is okay, it was lovely hearing from you, funny you should say you thought you had Royal connections, my mother was a Middleton, so of course I thought we might have been related to Kate Middleton, no such luck!!  I hadn't been on Ancestry for awhile, like you, have been fairly busy, but your email made me think about Jane, I am still not sure if her name ends with an 'e' as that is how the Old Bailey spelt Langstone, I started to look her up again, it is hard when not sure if it is a maiden, or married name!!  If she was already married when sent to Australia, than married John Turner, it doesn't bear thinking about, I guess some of the convicts lied about where they came from, it is not easy to find information, mainly because people years ago had large families and so had enough to do, when I originally found five convicts in my family, none of my relatives believed me, each one of them did so much for this country, as did many others who were sent here,  I can't find anything about the Turners' just that  John Turner was a Tailor and came from Lancashire or Lincolnshire, so I can't get past John, whereas with the Middletons' I have gone back to the 16th Century.
Regards,
Thelly