Author Topic: Woolley Sanitorium / TB Hospital  (Read 24755 times)

Offline tynecub

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woolley Sanitorium / TB Hospital
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 March 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I know for myself my grandfather was born in 1906.   When he was 20 went to the Sanitorium where he married my grandmother.   Stayed ther for the rest of his life as he worked on the estate and was there until 1970 as the building supervisor until he died.

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 April 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all
i know this place well .My mother was a district nurse in 1854 .she contracted T.B.and was sent to the Hadrian Hospital Coast Road Wallsend she was there for 6 mths and was then sent to  Woolley where she was for a further  3 years The wards were  long wooden huts spit into small rooms just room for a bed and a locker in front was a long wooden veranda where the would pull the beds out in the warm weather in front was a large green  area surrounded by a wood .Woman were on one side Men on the outher when you were on the mend and no longer contagious you were allowed to go for walks The treatment was injections of  Terimic en and large wafer like tablets the size of 50 pence piece and were difficult to Swallow

Audrey

Offline Fizziebizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 12 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

My mother was a patient at Woolley TB hospital from 1961 to 1963 and I was born there shortly after she was admitted. She used to tell me that all through the winter they were pushed outside in their beds,  as fresh air was the main treatment at that time. However she also had scars on her neck as they had removed various glands and then finally one of her lungs was removed. Not sure if the surgery was carried out there or at Hexham hospital

Carron
Gilmaney Durham and Northumberland
Robson Northumberland

Offline wilrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
i am not sure but stannington hospital in northumberland was this not a tb hospital my mother was in there around late 40s early fifties with tb and double pneumia i know thats spelt wrong i have photo of a party where all the children were dressed up and one with a nurse the day they let her come home but i get muddled up with stannington and wooley there is lots of films of the hosp on google it looked a dreadful place and them poor kids went through alsorts

Offline Beannachd16

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 April 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandmother was a patient in Woolley sanitorium from 5th of April 1953 until just before Christmas in the same year. Her son ( my uncle) was one of the first babies born in the maternity unit added on to the sanitorium.

She has very fond memories of her time there and is very happy to answer any questions anyone may have.