Author Topic: Ann Terrace, Grangepans, Bo'ness  (Read 14539 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Terrace, Grangepans, Bo'ness
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 November 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Gow67

Much as I would love to have some - I'm afraid don't have any.  I was lucky to have shoes in those days, never mind a camera!

Di

Sure do remember Jimmy Hamilton's shop - you could get just about anything there - sweeties were the best.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 December 11 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Photos of Ann Terrace?  Well, as it happens, I had made this note, and I think you'll enjoy looking at it:

www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk
gives photographs of houses and towns – brilliant site – found Jimmy Hamilton’s sweetie shop on it.

Jimmy Hamilton's shop stood right on the corner of Ann Terrace, I think.

Another thing, I was visiting Bo'ness the other day and heard the Grange school bell going - and electric thing.  Do you remember the jannie standing at the boys' door ringing a hand bell and then doing the same at the girls' door?

And what about the outside girls' toilets near the infants' entrance?

Remember the Christmas parties in the hall?  And the partition between Miss McLellan's baby class and the one next door that was removed so that the children could play games like "In and Out the Rushing Bluebells" on a Friday afternoon?

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 December 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Fond memories of all of that Di - Jimmy's shop was actually part of Philpingstone Terrace (which was in Philpingstone Road) - that's the building of which the shop is on the left of the photo - I lived at No55 - 3 doors along from the shop.  The corner was actually with Philpingstone Lane - Ann Terrace (building name) was across the road from the shop.

I do remember the Jannie's bell - and the bucket of sawdust for cleaning up sick!

Remember Friday afternoons with Miss Troup playing the piano & Miss Mclelland clapping out the dance moves - they were both mates of my Granny - I think they were in competition to see who had the best moustache.  There was another one who was in that dept - she had a beard - but I can't remember her name - she used to wear a hairnet in class.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey

Thanks for the comment on the bucket of sand for the sick - I was just tucking into a cheese sandwich when I read that bit.

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall