Author Topic: Lulworth Cove, Mervyn O'GORMAN photos?  (Read 47069 times)

Offline Rusoftheeast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lulworth Cove, O'GORMAN photos?
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 04:16 BST (UK) »
How did Mervyns wife look like?We dug so much into her and her family I am curious :P

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
I've been looking but found nothing. Don't take these dates as gospel, because the many web entries and blogs etc. on Mervyn which mention her give slightly different dates, albeit a year two. Her dates were 1854 to 1931. She was some 16 years older than Mervyn. Married 1897. She would have been 21 in 1875, which puts her in perspective. In 1913 she would have been 59, Mervyn 43.

A few bits and pieces, Mervyn, electrical and aeronautical engineer was superintendant of the Royal Balloon Factory/RAE Farnborough. Relieved about 1916 for poor quality control in aircraft production for the RFC, he was retained as advisor. His technical qualifications and expertise were not in doubt.

At some point he was appointed Lieutenant Colonel, Royal Engineers. No doubt to show his position and authority at Farnborough and elsewhere. I posted a pic. Link earlier but there are sharper images to be found. I also posted a Link to (supposedly) him in RAF uniform.

His ideas on road safety were included in the the first Highway Code.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
How did Mervyns wife look like?We dug so much into her and her family I am curious :P

There was one image of Florence in the RPS archives.  A bromide print, dated 1913, showed head & shoulders of her in right profile.  Dark background, but she was facing a window which illuminated her face.  Hair in a bun or pleat, wearing a white shirt with high collar, and bow or ruffles on the front. Very soft features, which might be due to the 'diffused'look of the overall image, but certainly nothing rigid or stuffy, nor angular or prominent about her.  Beautiful print.

I have done an extensive google images search, but can't find it online anywhere.

One thing that struck me when looking at the collection as a whole, was that every image was dated 1913.  Not a single other date came up, which got me wondering if these were just a small number of his images.  Maybe all his '1913' work was in a box which ended up at the RPS, and other boxes of other years work lie in an attic or junk shop somewhere.  Here's hoping they come to light some day :)
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline Rusoftheeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 18 June 15 10:45 BST (UK) »

There was one image of Florence in the RPS archives.  A bromide print, dated 1913, showed head & shoulders of her in right profile.  Dark background, but she was facing a window which illuminated her face.  Hair in a bun or pleat, wearing a white shirt with high collar, and bow or ruffles on the front. Very soft features, which might be due to the 'diffused'look of the overall image, but certainly nothing rigid or stuffy, nor angular or prominent about her.  Beautiful print.

I have done an extensive google images search, but can't find it online anywhere.

One thing that struck me when looking at the collection as a whole, was that every image was dated 1913.  Not a single other date came up, which got me wondering if these were just a small number of his images.  Maybe all his '1913' work was in a box which ended up at the RPS, and other boxes of other years work lie in an attic or junk shop somewhere.  Here's hoping they come to light some day :)

I really hope they put the pictures up onto their achieves someday.Would love to see them myself :)And yes there must be more of his pictures somewhere out there.I wonder how the slides ended up to the guy(his father-in-law) though.

Anyways,I am happy that the mystery has been solved and happy with what we have today regarding Christina.
A holiday in England would be lovely,Been to most of European countries but never to the UK :-[ maybe next summer :D

Offline past100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 17 July 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a new member, I have been fascinated by early photography for a very long time , but most importantly by autochromes there is  something very ethereal  and almost a celestial energy  that radiates from autochromes, like we are exciting in a  timeless permanent now. My interests with autochromes began when I  watched a documentary about one  of  the early masters of  autochrome  Albert kahn, and was enchanted  by the photography  that was produce  about a century ago  but almost looked contemporary but paradoxically the color and shading of the photos gave a dream like quality a more beautiful reality than our everyday perciced reality.

So when I witness mervyn o'gorman photos of of Christiana in early may of this year in the mail online   I was speechless by the beauty of the photos it made me very nostalgic for that era  also 1913 was a very  iconic year nothing was the same after 1913 partially because of the great war and also because of many social changes, I often call 1913 the last year of the old world    the photos are almost like a farewell  postcard from old England.   I could never in million years with my digital camera produce a photo like Mervyn o’ gorman photos I am fascinated by how he   used  the effect  of  light and shade so perfectly.  When I found  out it was in August  1913   I studied the meteorological   conditions for August 1913 and found out the weather was very still and anticyclonic weather there was probably  some misty hazy conditions   around coast, I often find  as a amateur photographer anticyclonic weather in late summer and early autumn is often the most conducive time of year  to producing  my best photo's  the probable reason   great combination of delicate  light and shade, there is often a soft golden glow in late summer and early autumn.  which gives the horizon  a dream like appearance

I was very happy and excited to find out the true identity of Christina and also  very grateful, but feel I have  open a book and have just read the prologue to  this woman's life she is  from a remarkable  family on  her maternal  side they were barons and baronesses , on her paternal side  one of the founders of the modern banking system and also scholars of the highest order    I would imagine that she  had a full and interesting life.
One last point the two black and white  bromide prints look like different girls they have different eyes, nose and also a different jaw shape, is the  girl  in the roll neck jumper in the bromide  black white print  Anne her sister.   

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Past100, it was quite an adventure trying to find out who Christina was, and odd to think people around the world being bought together due to 102 year old grains of dyed potato starch !

The b&w print of the girl in the jumper was captioned by O'Gorman as being Christina, and if you flip either of the portraits on the horizontal then the facial features match up quite well.

All the best, and welcome to rootschat :)

Offline past100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Kilkennlass for clarifying the issue about  the The b&w print, and also for welcoming me to rootschat

Offline justareply

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 25 July 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that the picture by the garden pool was taken at Rempstone. It is just visible - half in sunlight below the swimming pool in this google maps shot -  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6408214,-2.0139619,182m/data=!3m1!1e3    , and this is how it looks today  -  (the steps are to the right, I think the statue has been turned in the interim)

actually - looking at it - I'm sure the O'Gorman photo should be flipped left-> right.

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 26 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent to have confirmation, thank you justareply ! You are correct about the original image being published (numerous times !) the wrong way round.  The correct orientation is with Christina on the left, pond on the right (as attached).  It is often difficult with Autochrome images to determine the correct orientation, unless there is something obvious like writing !

I was convinced, as were most people, it was Rempstone Hall, but couldn't find a way to confirm it so thanks again for letting us know, and helping put one of the final 'mysteries' to rest :)