Author Topic: Lulworth Cove, Mervyn O'GORMAN photos?  (Read 47023 times)

Offline RondaHolly

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lulworth Cove, O'GORMAN photos?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 May 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
I am very interested to know if you turned up anything regarding Christina O'Gorman?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
Evidently, others have niggling doubts about these photographs. I'm not saying that the whole series is fake by any means, but something is 'off'. My first reaction on seeing them, was that 'Christina' was c2013 not 1913. It's like Hollywood 20th Century period films, all actors looked and sounded like 20th Century people whatever the costumes, whatever the period. 

I have looked up the relevant bathing costumes and whether you can buy modern copies of them, you can.

Most worrying of all, Google image search for Christine O' Gorman brings up lots of images, (including the autochromes of course), but there are several of a young woman cNow that looks suspiciously like the girl 'Christina'.

Thrown somes squibs in the air, but will have to leave it to the experts to pin this one down. How about the provenance of the autochromes?

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thrown some squibs in the air

Oddly enough there was a Christina Squibb in East Lulworth village but she would have been around 30 in 1913 so probably not a likely candidate. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 May 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thrown some squibs in the air

Oddly enough there was a Christina Squibb in East Lulworth village but she would have been around 30 in 1913 so probably not a likely candidate.

Tee Hee. I spent some time looking at photographs from the period including autochromes which were very superior. Perhaps the process was expensive, but colour photography only took off in the mid 30's. American Kodak, German Agfa. 'The future belongs to colour photography'.... Adolf Hitler ::)
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 May 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
The following individual's attended Mervyn O'Gorman memorial service

A memorial scrvice for Lieutitnant- Colonrel Mervyn O'Gorman was held yester- day In the chapel of thi Royal Hospital, Chelsea. The RevbtC.a W. H. Story, C.F. officiated. Among those present were:- Lord and Lady Sempill. Lord Mackey. Paissla Lady Glenconner Lord Brabazon of Tara. the Downger Lady S ,aythlin. the Ho.n. Lady Norman. Sir John and Lady Pagcm. Grace Lady Paget. Sir Frederitk Whyetc sir GuY Harrison. Sir Stephen Tallents. Lady (Lancelot) Haure. Sir Henry Ticard. Sir Geoffrey de Havilland. Sir Fiennes Barrett.Lennard. Lady Fischer Williams. Sir Frank NLos i, Hon Sr arold Ronhee Co. Mis Camr Copland. Dr. G W H. Gardner (Director. Royal Air. tlaCt Establishmen . ,arborouah. also e MresentnK. tc Minister of Supply),with Mr. F. N. EdneCy. his Honour La. C. ToastC. G. DcaC. F. Parry (secretary. The Athenaeum). Mkr. M.S V. Osmnond (representing Cooncil for the Mres.eG ationof Rural Enaland). Mr. silfrid Andews(chirmn. Oyal Automobile Club) trith Mr. Deem Hacfort (drector. Associate Section) and Lieoenat.Coone T.B. Browne. Licutcnant-Colonel Cecil LEsranr MOlormne. Mr. W. Reeve Wallace Mr. Sydney atehea. Mioess F. Barssood (RoYal Aeronautica Society). MisskI. Walladce Mr. Antony Horoby. Mr. Michael orehy.n MissDiana Hamby Miss K. Acland. Mr.N. . Prcial r.Claude Lucas. 'Mis Joan Lucas. Dr. . E Spelmna.Mr. Gerald Henderson. Mms. E. Gate. Cptai C.0. Dan.Mr. Kevin FitzGcrald. Mrs. F. urry. rs.G. aa. Mr. Geoffrey Barker. Mr1s. EdadWk.Mrs.P. Fadr. r W. F. Short. fslr andMs a Lambce.M.L F. Dyer. and Mer. T. S. Mrt. Edmund O'Gorman. Mr. John O'Gorman. Mr. Thomas O'Gorman. Professor Edward Hindle. Sir Henry and Lady Dale. and NIr. D. Cannon Brookes were among those unable to attend.

Thee three family members that seemed to attend were Edmund O'Gorman, Mr. John O'Gorman, Mr. Thomas O'Gorman

These three names provide a possible link back to Christina

There must be a family link to these three individuals

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 May 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
Another article from the times

under wills and bequests may 21 1958

WILLS AND BEQUESTS LIEUTENANT-COLONEL MERVYN JOSEPH PIus O'GORMAN, of Embankment Gardens, S.W., consulting engineer, left ?163,224 gross, ?161.654 net (duty paid, ?86,872). He left ?3,000 to the Royal Aeronautical Society; ?2,000 each to the Athenaeum Club, the Royal Institution of Great Britain the Institution of Civil Engineers, and the Institution of Electrical Engineers, ?1,000 to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and ?500 to the Art Workers' Guild

No mention of a daughter. To be honest the evidence that he had a child is slim yet the preponderance evidence against him having a child appears stronger.

II did consider that the model might be someone who was payed to do pictures etc, but I'm starting to go against this idea due to the fact that she is seen sitting next to 2 other young girls. Unlikely he hired three girls and only did pictures for one. I also doubt that the pictures were all done on the same day.

the other interesting factor is that Mervyn was from a Celtic bloodline and the girl looks likely she is from ta Celtic blood line i.e red hair. As Ive  said before she looks like the spitting image of my first wife who was also from a Celtic blood line.

None of this on its own is proof but does push to me believing this girl is a related to Mervyn.

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 May 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
I am very intrigued by the 'lady in red'.  As a former photographer & picture editor, looking at all the images attributed to Mervyn, I have no doubts as to them being from c1913.  Most of the images are of the same young lady on her own, and don't tell you very much.  However as to the image of the '3 women on the beach', I am sure it isn't Mervyn's wife in the middle as Florence (Mervyns wife) was 58 in 1913. There does seem to be a familial facial link between them, so its possible they are 3 sisters, and I have found in Florence's family 3 sisters who would match in terms of ages, and indeed location.  However none of them are named Christina, and I can't find a definitive link between them and Mervyn & Florence (for instance one of them being Florences goddaughter or such).  Will keep looking and keep updating, I'm pretty sure this mystery can be solved, although its more likely to be solved by a descendant of one of girls coming forward.
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 May 15 19:48 BST (UK) »

There is also a possibility that Christina is a family member.  Melvyn had a full sister Edith Seibe Gorman maybe she had a daughter

I too thought Edith might be a sister, based on birth year & location, but I've seen her christening record which names her parents as William and Jane, which were not Mervyn's parents names so I've ruled her out as a sibling (although still possibly a family member obvioulsy).

Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline Rusoftheeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Quite fascinated by the photo and the mystery of the girl in it,I have done a quite amount of research myself however,as everyone else,to no avail.While I failed to find out who she was I can see there was a woman named Maria Christina Ogorman who is a sister to Edmond Anthony O'Gorman of Monamore country Clare.Could be that THE Christina was named after her aunt by some of Mervyns half siblings or so?
Edmond Anthony Ogorman had a brother and 4 sisters named Michael Harold 1817,Maria Christina 1811,Catherine Lutetia 1814,Mary Emily 1818 and Luisa 1816 Ogorman respectively,the last of whom had died an infant and his only brother Michael had died young in Algeria at 21 or so.Marys son William Roope was a priest.
I as well am pretty sure this could be solved by some means somehow.

And it would appear that some of the descendents of Cecil ogorman is active on some genealogy site though(not so sure how the site works).Might be worth contacting him.