Author Topic: Whitewater Farm Ollerton  (Read 3360 times)

Offline AlbertJames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitewater Farm Ollerton
« on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any information about Whitewater Farm Ollerton around the time of the 1911 census? I have already got the occupants details from 1911 but would like to find out what became of them after that date.

AJ

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Whitewater Farm Ollerton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
If you live in the area, you could check the electoral rolls (if available) from 1911 onwards

You don't give any details of names or birthyears but have you checked freebmd for marriage and deaths?

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AlbertJames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Yes have checked the electoral roles and bmd indexes etc. The individual we are interested in is Albert James Cox b1874 who was resident on the farm in 1911 as a farm worker (waggoner).  Could not find any electoral role information in ollerton Library records  or at the Nottingham Archives. Albert came from Chineham in Hampshire and we think that he could be my grandfather. We struggle to confirm this as we have no information of where he was born although we have loads of info post 1919 when he appears in Rotherham, none of which indicates his birthplace.

The farmer's name was George Simpson b 1838 who had a son Thomas b 1867.

We are looking for any snippets of info which is available about the farm around 1911.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Was Whitewater Farm a tourist attraction for a while in the 1980s - 1990s? Or am I confusing it with somewhere else?

My daughter went on several trips there with nursery/school/friends parties etc (if it was the same place!) - I just remember the petting zoo, and a sheep chewing a hole in her T shirt!

Sorry, I know this sounds like I'm hijacking your thread, but if it was the same place, then it may well be possible to track some of its history as it was open to the public for a while.

edited - I've realised that I was thinking of WhitePOST farm - sorry!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)