Author Topic: Burial location sought Lambeth Surrey 1871??  (Read 5803 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial location sought Lambeth Surrey 1871??
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 01:04 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on how best I should locate the burial of my great-great-great grandfather Jeremiah LEE who died on 2/10/1871 at 43 Hooper Street, Gloucester Street, Lambeth, Surrey aged 70 years. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial location sought Lambeth Surrey 1871??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Lambeth archives should be able to help.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 06:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paco!
Ciao, Rob

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hooper St no longer exists - I think it was changed to Pearman Street. It ran directly off Westminster Bridge Road and on the corner at the end of the street was a small church of St Thomas (buit 1850s) but I don't think it had a graveyard. I believe St Thomas' may have conducted funerals but there were a number of other churches in the area with graveyards attached such as Lambeth St Mary (now a garden museum and next to Lambeth Palace) and several in Southwark. All the parish records are held in the Museum of London archives.

Kind regards
MM
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 April 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Miss May..are these London Museum records available on line? I live in Australia so this would be very helpful indeed! Cheers, Rob

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

I had meant to write London Metropolitan Archives -  their digitised records are on Anc*, and you probably already know this.

I've looked for your Jeremiah in all the online Lambeth and Southwark parish records and I can't find him there or in the onlin records for the Norwood Cemetery in Lambeth. I searched all deaths in Lambeth and Southwark for Oct 1871. However, not all the records from the parishes have been digitised and it may well be that there is a record at the LMA that does not appear on Anc* - presuming he had a church burial possibly at Christ Church (unlikely though as it was a Congretational Church) or St John the Evangelist.

The problem here though is that there was an enormous shortage of burial space in the area from the mid 1850s and it may be that your Jeremiah may even be buried out of Lambeth in Brookwood, Surrey. I mention this because the London Necropolis Railway had its terminus immediately off the Westminster Bridge Rd which is 5 mins from where Jeremiah and family were living in Hooper St.

I've looked at a few parish records for his children and some appear to have married locally in the 1840s either at St John the Evangelist (on Waterloo Rd) or St Mary, Lambeth (Lambeth Rd), so there seems to be a local church connection. The census records between 1841 and 1871 don't show Jeremiah moving more than a few streets at any time. Is there any information you have that might indicate he would have reason to be buried out of Parish from Lambeth or Southwark??

St Mary Lambeth (William Bligh is buried there - it's quite posh immediately next to Lambeth Palace) had stopped taking burials when Jeremiah died and has since been deconsecrated and is the garden museum I mentioned in a previous post. The extended Lambeth Parish burial ground nearby the church closed in 1853 at full capacity after the cholera epidemics of 1848-49 and was turned into a park not long after, so Jeremiah won't be there. Interesting that Jeremiah's children would have been having children of their own during this time.

St John the Evangelist (5 mins walk from old Hooper St) was taking burials at the time, but their records do not appear on Anc*, and are hopefully on film or the original registers are at the LMA. I won't be visiting there for a month or so because of other commitments, but I'm happy to have a look when I do go. St George the Martyr, Southwark, where Jeremiah married had also closed their churchyard burials by mid 1850s, so he wouldn't be there either.

There are the remains of a church burial ground at St John's with some tombs and headstones remaining, but I think much of it was taken up in modern times during the development of Waterloo Station and it was also heavily bombed during WWII. The church is still open.

I came across a probate record granted 9 July 1878 to his ?son James Lee (also a slate maker) who appears to have died later that same year.

Jeremiah was active with the local Chartists in the 1840s and he is mentioned in newspapers at that time search in the newspaper section of FindMy*. He lived in an area that was politically very active with people campaigning mainly for sanitary reform for closed sewers and clean water etc. The first publicly funded bathhouse in Lambeth didn't open until 1897.

If you want to have an idea of the neighbourhood Jeremiah was living in it is worthwhile looking at the Lambeth Sanitary Reports from 1850s at the Wellcome museum online archive.

If you are looking at modern maps Hooper St is now Pearman St (straightened).

Do let me know if there's anything else I can get for you locally.

Kind regards
MM
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
West Norwood Cemetery, to give it its full name, and Brookwood were private cemeteries and by no means the only cemeteries where a Lambeth resident could be buried. The local authority ran their own municipal cemetery just outside their borough in Tooting and most residents of modest means were buried there.

The cemetery is in Blackshaw Road, Tooting, London SW17 0BY and the burial records are kept at the Cemetery Office.

Peter

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter I will gladly follow up cheers Rob

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jeremiah LEE - Burial location sought Lambeth Surrey 1871??
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all just reading through my old post and wish to make a slight correction! The address for Jeremiah at death was actually 42 (and not 43) Hooper Street, Gloucester Street, Lambeth. Does this mean the original house was on the corner of these 2 streets?

Furthermore can someone please search for an obituary for Jeremiah? May be his involvement with the Chartists may have earned him some mention from some circles? Thanks, Rob