Author Topic: Death of a relative  (Read 4328 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of a relative
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
John Laidlaw was my gr grandfather. He married Marjory when she was 19 and  he was 32.  She was a Greengrocer looking after a family business.  They married in the February in 1904 and had their first son in the following September/October of the year and named him William.  Johns fathers name was William, so the child was named after him.

I cannot find a death for him, John my grgrandad.   I am going to check with my mother over what his age was when he died, so that I can be sure, the next time I try SP. Even so he was very young to die.  He was either 39 or 42 and a cab driver and to my knowledge I never met him.  Although I met my grgran.  My mum knows nothing about william, she says that my grandad only had 2 brothers and 5 sisters, so I assume that the child died before any of the others were born. John supposedly was the grandson of someone a Lord or something, the man posted a search notice in the local paper and requested them to meet up but John when they met told him to leave him alone, he did not want to know. According to my nan. I have his birth cert and William and Margaret brought him up.  I need to find the article in the paper to prove it one way or the other.  If the 100yr rule is true I have another 10-15 yrs to find the information.  And no-one in the family left to ask the truth of. My mums info is only hearsay.  Marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a relative
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi marcie dean,

what area are we looking at for births and deaths.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
If you have John Laidlaw's birth certificate, what information does it give about his parents? Do you have their marriage certificate with details about their parents?

Graham.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Templar: Gr2,

The area is Edinburgh and as far as I know it is the area in which John was born, his parents married and he died.
The time period for his birth is 1869/70. He always referred to them as his parents and they in turn referred to him as their son. ::)
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Just adding the link to the main post on John Laidlaw www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509358.0.html

Some (quiet a lot!) information has already been found by Hume...

Hi Marcie,

Just linking these two threads ... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,478330.0.html

John Laidlaw died April 4th 1923 at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh. He was 53 and parents were registered as you note (William was a cab driver like his son). Marjory, widow, registered the death. They were staying at 3 Albert Street. He died of encephalitis lethargica, which is described (as far as I can see) as some sort of sleeping sickness.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Marcie,
Monica's link has answered some of your questions but if you want to look for the previous generation, you have all the information about John and Marjory's marriage, so have you had sight of the marriage certificate?
You don't say if they married in Scotland or elsewhere but a Scottish marriage certificate should give a lot of detail on their parents

oops - only just twigged that Marcie's original post on this thread was made last August; can you let us know what you've now got and what you're still looking for?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
This is what I found in the 1871 Census
49 Duke Street

William Laidlaw    29 Cab Driver born 1842 in Leith
Margaret Laidlaw    25 born 1846 Edinburgh
John Laidlaw              2 born 1869 Edinburgh

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Marcie, just in case you don't have it.

John Laidlaw married Marjory C McDon Brown in the St Giles district of Edinburgh/Midlothian in 1904.  Reference on SP to view the certificate is 685/04 0105, and if you don't have details on their parents etc that might be a quick way of starting to go back a generation.    I know Hume already gave you the death details (with his parent's names) but sometimes you can pick up another little gem from a different certificate, and it should give you something on Marjory as well
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
To help everybody....there is a lot of infomation on the other post which Marcie already has. This post was originally posted in late August last year and a later similar post by Marcie in September last year picked up on the searches (they are the ones linked above). There have been a number of posts on John Laidlaw and Marcie has been trying to keep the responses together. Might be better for any new info to be added to the main post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509358.0.html

It is a confusing and tricky piece of research, Marcie  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk