Author Topic: Death of a relative  (Read 4333 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a relative completed thanks
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for your help, but I think this is as far as I can take this without finding a way of doing a DNA test or something.
Because my grandparents told me a long time ago that William and Margaret were not his blood relatives, but took him in.  It is proving by searching the Scotsman paper as to what his origins really were, and that is  not going to be easy.
There are no male relatives in our family whom I could approach for dna.
We are not sure when the advertisement was placed.  So it could well be a trip up to Edinburgh to search the Historical records and newspapers.
marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a relative
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
In 1881 they lived in 3 Laurie Street Leith John is down as a Bakers Message Boy.

In 1891 John is down as a Cab Hirer but I think this should be Driver, they are all living at 38 Duke Street Leith.

1891 William is on his own living at 44 Glover Street Leith,  he is down as a Coachman ( Non Domestic ) I take it his wife may have died and John has left home.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
I have come across this birth, William Walker Laidlaw baptised 9 Nov 1843 at South Leith Church. Parents are Charles Laidlaw and Joan Foster. 1843 is the year of birth given on the Census.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a relative completed thanks
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for your help, but I think this is as far as I can take this without finding a way of doing a DNA test or something.
Because my grandparents told me a long time ago that William and Margaret were not his blood relatives, but took him in.  It is proving by searching the Scotsman paper as to what his origins really were, and that is  not going to be easy.
There are no male relatives in our family whom I could approach for dna.
We are not sure when the advertisement was placed.  So it could well be a trip up to Edinburgh to search the Historical records and newspapers.
marjorie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
regarding my nana her father was george steele, her mother was janet O'May smith, she was born 17th july 1885david mason lived nearby and I believe that she was a fantasist wanting her parents to be higher up the scale than they were
 her father was alexander smith and her mother was janet O'May.
 she lied, when she stated her father was george smith and her mother was ms.mason
this lie was compounded by my nan when she backed up her mothers'  statement when she married my grandad, my nan was not borne edna may smith her actual name was edna O'May smith or steele her father and mother stayed together long enough to have another daughter two years younger than my nan whose name I cant remember, but because my nan was born illegitimate and then legitimised by their marriage, so I do not need to fling out my trees, as they are correct. and I do have some certificates to prove it the ones I can't obtain are my great grandads because they no longer exist. unless someone has them on microfiche
the information of my great grandad is also correct he was born in the poorhouse infirmary, his mother an unknown servant in the household of the duke of sutherland. because his mother died in   childbirth he was born  in aug 1872 I came across a ticket , not a proper birth certificate which had the birth of a boy and the date not stating his mother's' name, he was given to the couple whose name we adopted as a family william laidlaw  and margaret anne laing, their child was william walker laidlaw, he died before his first birthday, so the church gave this couple my great grandfather whose mother had named him john, and for whatever reason they decided to keep that name for him, through all my searching , I have never found proof of his actual records of his birth in the poorhouse because the records no longer exist neither have I found any thing dealing with his being adopted legally if I had known this would be the case, I would have done this research a lot, lot earler, he died in hospital on april 4th. in 1923 of sleep apnea. william laidlaw was a cab driver, his father was also william his mother was johannes, can't remember her maiden name.john married my great gran margery charles mcdonaldferguson barron brown. and their first childs' name was also william walker laidlaw, he died on the first  anniversary of their marriage. their second child was agnes hutcheson  brown laidlaw named after margerys mother agnes hutcheson she was born 10 months later,my grandad was one of eight children born to this couple margery his sister died of consumption aged 15 the youngest 12 yrs younger than my grandad was james hutcheson brown laidlaw hisother brother was alexander, then there was margaret also known as peggy and lily I cannot remember all of their births and I do not always remember the order that they arrived in I am still hoping that I may still find the info that I need, such as; if the church buried all those who died in that month; and if they buried them separately, then I may just be lucky enough to find her name and then I can pay honour to her by adding her name to my tree. and maybe even her parents etc.john and margery lived in albert street leith. my great gran margery ran her own green grocers no 32 giles street, it no longer exists named my grandad robert after her father clermiston as a reminder of how/ where his father was conceived. brown as his mothers maiden name laidlaw after the family that took in his father and  if anyone can find the informaation pertaining to his adoption i would be very happy. he was not born in 1863 I know that at least.
they lived in  either 3 or 7 albert street leith.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 06:41 BST (UK) »
In 1881 they lived in 3 Laurie Street Leith John is down as a Bakers Message Boy.

In 1891 John is down as a Cab Hirer but I think this should be Driver, they are all living at 38 Duke Street Leith.

1891 William is on his own living at 44 Glover Street Leith,  he is down as a Coachman ( Non Domestic ) I take it his wife may have died and John has left home.

Cheers.

Archie.
thankyou archie
 searl rogers sutherland