Author Topic: Ross Family Help  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross Family Help
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm reseaching the family of John and Margaret Ross (nee McDonald) from Kilmuir.

I believe that John & Margaret  ross had the following children

Ronald Ross born abt 1809 farmed at Kendram and married firstly Dorcas McKinnon then Ann McLeod.

Alexander Ross born abt 1811 migrated to NSW on the Ontario in 1852 with wife F;ora and children and died on the voyage.

Donald Ross born abt 1816 in Kilmuir probably stayed on Skye.

Hugh Ross born abt 1821 in Kilmuir probably stayed on Skye

Flora Ross born abt 1832 in Kilmuir probably stayed on Skye

Christy Ross born abt 1824 in Kilmuir probably stayed on skye.

John Ross born abt 1826 married Flora Nicholson 1853 then migrated to Victoria Australia on the New Zealander in 1853

Katherine Ross born about 1831 migrated with John Ross and his wife to Victoria in 1853.

I'm at a brick wall with any information on Donald, Hugh, Flora and Christy Ross.

They probably resided, farmed and married in Kilmuir around Duntulm, Balmaqueen or Kendram.

Any assistance about Donald, Hugh, Flora and Christy would be appreciated.

Regards

Gerry 

Offline zavrou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Family Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:09 BST (UK) »

http://www.familysearch.org/

Found Hugh and Flora on this Search.  Please double check everything from this website as I have a relative who 'died' in 1777 and still managed to get married in 1811.  Parents, wife etc all check out except for this anomaly of death date 1777
We are researching Alexander Ross married to Ann Harper. 
Hope this helps you.  If you need a bit more info contact me

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi zavrou

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just a general comment when using IGI at www.familysearch.org. Always when using this database from LDS confirm for the entry you are looking at whether the source of the information is from the parish/statutory registers. If so, you should be able to find a corresponding entry on the official Scottish BMD/OPR site which includes the original images from these registers  at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Sometimes for an entry you will see Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. It is these records that need to be treated with care and every attempt made to verify elsewhere. Whilst a useful guide in many cases, member submitted entries can be plain wrong, as you have already found.

Every entry on IGI includes under 'messages' the source of the information.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 23:11 BST (UK) »

Zavrou,

Thanks for the information, I'll check it out.  I have had some success with a couple of some Ross family members who came to Australia and Ronald Ross who stayed on Skye but others are proving very elusive.

Ross was a common name and I don't think many records were maintained but researching is part of the fun.

I'm having similar problems with a McQueen family who were part of the Highland Clearances and came out to Australia on the Midlothian in 1837.

Good luck with your Ross Family research

Monica,

Thanks for the good advice, I'm a fairly newcomer to family research and advice from experienced researchers is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gerry

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie1947

Have you tried looking for them on the Scottish censuses?

I think this is some of them on the 1851 census - residing at Balmaqueen, Kilmuir, Inverness

Donald Ross 37 
Flora Ross 29 
Christy Ross 27
John Ross 25
John MacPhie 1

Listed as brothers and sisters, all born in Kilmuir.  Donald as head of the family, is a farmer of 4 acres.  John MacPhie is listed as his nephew.

Donald and Flora are still at same address on the 1861 census.

Edit: 1841 census - living with mother Margaret in Balmaqueen

Margt Ross 55
Alex Ross 30
Donald Ross 25
Hugh Ross 20
Flora Ross 25
John Ross 15
Cathrine Ross 10
Mary Ross 10
Nk Ross 6 Mo

MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 07:42 BST (UK) »

Thanks Jokdy,

Yes I have had a look at the census info, the 1851 info is is where I got the brothers and sisters.  I found my Alexander with Flora and the children in the 1851 census living at Clachan with Flora's mother who was a McDonald.  Their census details matches the shipping records for the Ontario voyage a couple of years later.

The 1841 census is more difficult to figure out because I think Alexander is my Alexander and Mary 10 and NK 6mo are two of Alexander's children.  Flora may have been his wife, one othe child was residing with the grand parents( McDonalds) at Clachan on census night.

I'm now looking at later census info to try and help solve the puzzle.

Wish middle name were used, there are so many names the same.

Once again thanks for your input.

Gerry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

There is this possible entry for 1861, following the info found by Jokdy - everyone showing as born in Kilmuir:

Donald Ross 48, Farmer Of 5 Acres
Flora Ross 40, sister
Allam Mcphie 11, nephew (not sure if this is a mistranscription of the John, nephew, who shows in the 1851 entry)

Address: 11 Balvn, Kilmuir

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

My mother is a great great grandchild of John Ross of Balmaquien...we refer to him as John Ross "senior" to differentiate him from his son of the same name who emigrated to VIC in the 1850s. 

We are descended from John Ross senior's oldest child Ranald - who remained in Kilmaluag despite at least 3 siblings emigrating to Australia. Ranald's son Alexander (named after his uncle who emigrated to NSW) is my mum's grandfather.
Alexander's youngest child Annie is my mum's mum. They were all born in Kilmaluag, where my mother grew up (she moved to the north of England, my father's work took them there from Scotland, when I was born).
I visited Oz in 1991, and met descendants of Alexander Ross & Flora MacDonald who emigrated with their children in 1852 on the "Ontario". Alexander died at sea of typhoid, and his eldest son died in quarantine. I met Doug & Molly Shaw and their son Kenneth of Barrington Tops, about 12 miles east of Berrico Station where Alexander's only surviving son Donald "Dan" Ross set up home. Also met Renwick MacQueen, and Wilf & Jessie Boyd and their daughter Effie. In Sydney I met Neil & Beth MacPherson (descended from Dan's younger sister, Margaret).
I have set up a family Facebook group called "The Rosses of Skye (Kilmaluag)" where we exchange photos and stories between branches of the family in Skye, VIC, NSW, and Canada. We have Ellen Ross Lilley and Lyn Smith in that group - both descended from Alexander & Flora. Are you also descended from Alexander?
Regards,
Amina

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 July 16 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Amina,

Thanks for the reply and Ross information.

My wife's great grandfather was Neil McQueen who married Margaret Ross in 1874.  Margaret was the first child of Alexander and Flora whom had emigrated to NSW on the 'Ontario'.

Please send me a PM with your email address and we might be able to exchange some useful information.

Gerry