Author Topic: Ross Family Help  (Read 8096 times)

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Family Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 July 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Ok, I'll PM you
Amina

Offline Vugts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Amina

I too am related to Ranald (my 2 x Great Grandfather) through his son Hugh. I wonder whether you or anyone else might have some clues as to the parentage of John Ross and Margaret MacDonald as I seem to have hit a brick wall there.

On a side note, I don't know whether you are aware of Ranald's daughter Mary? She is mentioned in a couple of publications, "One Hundred and Five Songs of Occupation from the Western Isles of Scotland" and "The Great Book of Skye" (the latter having a photograph of her) which has a brief biography of her which mentions both Ranald and John in passing. She is credited with helping to pass on many gaelic songs to her employer and folk music collector/archivist Frances Tolmie.

Regards

Scott

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Oh wow hi Scott!
I am away from home at the moment so no records to refer to, but the names Iain, Hugh or Ewen come to mind as regards the father of John Ross who was married to Margaret (called "Peggy" by her family) MacDonald.
Iain would make most sense as it follows the Gaelic tradition of naming the grandchild after the grandparent...(but of course that could include Margaret's father too!).
I say "Ewen" because we are in touch with some Canadian Ross's that also came from Kendram and have pinpointed a "Ewen" in their ancestry from the mid 1700s. And I say "Hugh" because if I recall correctly, that name was on the rent records for croft #4 Kendram (but there were Ross's at #4 and #5 Kendram in the 1800s...they will have been related, but not exactly sure who were brothers and who were cousins beyond the generation of John & Margaret).
I recall my granny referring to ur great grandfather as "uncle Hughie". He was 4 years older than my great seanair Alasdair (Alexander); and yes, I am very aware of their sister Mary who was a maid to Francis Tolmie (we have, or had, Ethel Bassin's book "The Old Songs of Skye"). She remained close to her siblings as she was unmarried, and my granny was 21 when she came home to Kendram to die. We have photos of her.
You know those 3, plus their oldest brother Iain who died aged 24, were the product of Ranald's first marriage to Dorcas MacKinnon? Our great great grandmother died the year after my great grandfather was born. Ranald's then married a much younger woman Ann MacLeod and they had 4 daughters and a son (John) together. Our family was close to the family of that John, as they lived a short walk away from my granny...and his two daughters never married. One daughter was Annie Ross just as my granny was named.
Anyway, enough blethering. Are u still in Skye Scott? What children did Hugh go on to have? It would be lovely to continue this conversation. I shall PM you my email address.  I've set up a family Facebook group "The Rosses of Skye (Kilmaluag)" which has descendants on it from as far afield as Australia.
Laters,
Amina

Offline KinsonRossDudgeon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am researching the Ross family in Australia. I am looking at John Ross and wife Flora (nee Nicholson) who travelled to Portland in 1853 on the New Zealander. Their ages were 26 and 24. They also had an infant boy with them. Flora and John married 14 July 1853 at Kilmuir By Uig, Inverness. I believe her mother is Ann McLean and father Samual Nicholson.  It looks like they went to the nearby pastrol property owned by Mr Don Cameron, who had originally hailed from Inverness. He was a very successfull operator in the Heywood area of the Western District.  I cannot work out the exact name of where they went to. Now there was also a separate passenger by the name of Catherine Ross, aged 24 who also went to the same property.
If anyone can shed any light with who they were and if they were connected somehow and if they did O.K I would love to know. Thank You.

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Ross accompanied John Ross & wife Flora to VIC and later married a man from Lewis by the surname MacKenzie. Flora Nicolson was from Duntulm and her father (who I know as JAMES & her other siblings followed a year later). Sadly one sibling Isabella died soon after arriving. I have created a Facebook group "The Rosses of Skye (Kilmaluag)" which has descendants from that family in Oz and the UK as members. Are u already a member? If u PM me and tell me your name, I can give u more details x

Offline KinsonRossDudgeon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for info on William Ross, born 1827 in Chennai, India and dying in  Australia in 1900. His father is John Ross, but I don't know any info on him. Possibly born in the Inverness Shire. Would he have been in the army in India? I am ignorant to the history in that regards, sorry. John Ross married Jessie Stuart, not sure where born. I am not sure of any siblings for William. I don't know how William arrived in Australia. But he was was a very successful pastoralist and well regarded in the district and built a beautiful homestead on his property 'The Gums' at Penshurst, which has stayed in the Ross family for quite some time. Unfortunately he was shot accidentally by his son. If anyone may have a clue as to who were they connected to, thanks!

Offline kerriebr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I know this thread was started a long time ago, but hopefully you're still around...
I'm also researching these extended Ross families, and I'm a descendant of John Ross & Flora Nicholson, immigrants to Australia & settled in the Donald District of Victoria. If you are happy to collaborate in this research, please send me a PM.
Kerrie Brailsford

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerrie,

I think you may have to post one more time to enable the PM facility?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kerriebr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
hmmm thank you... does this one count?  ;D