Author Topic: Wibberley of Derbyshire  (Read 6592 times)

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wibberley of Derbyshire
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 08:05 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother Hannah Mary Bednall Wibberley (married name Jenkins) was born in 1888 and came to Australia in 1912. Her father was Jacob Bednall Wibberley, he was a twin and her mother's name was Susannah. This much information I am sure of.

I had always thought that Jacob's father was also Jacob but the research I have done has led me to William Webberley who appears to have had at least two wives, possibly three or more. I believe the wife i'm looking for was Jane Bednall.

My Mother had cousins living in Ilkeston up until a few years ago with the surnames White, Stayte and Lillian Sulley. Lillian I am sure of, she visited us here in the mid-late 80's. I am pretty sure their children are still in Ilkeston but I don't actually know their names.

My Mother's siblings have all passed away and my she is no longer able to remember the information. She visited in 1980 and being a child at the time, and annoyed with her for not letting me go with her LOL I didn't really pay attention to what she told me.

If anyone has any information that could help it would be much appreciated.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Wibberley of Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 09:42 BST (UK) »

Marriages Dec 1876   
~~~~~~~~

Tatlow  Susanna     Ashborne  7b 1095   
WIBBERLY  Jacob Bednall     Ashborne  7b 1095
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure whether you have this already, but this is probably the marriage you're looking for:

Marriages - December quarter 1849

BEDNALL    Jane        Derby    19   584   
Webberley    William    Derby    19   584    

There are other marriages on the same page, but given Jacob's middle name, I suspect that's probably the couple.

Hope that helps,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Gortonboy I looked for that but wasn't able to find it and thought I was going mad.

John, Thank you too. I noted on your avatar that you are researching Kirkland, any relation to Susannah Kirkland, who I think may be mother of Susannah Tatlow?
Regards
Bronwyn

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwyn,

The marriage of Susannah Tatlow to Jacob Bednall Wibberly was on 4 Dec 1876 at Edlaston, Derbyshire. Susannah was the daughter of William Tatlow and Jacob the son of William Wibberly. She was 20 and Jacob was 19.

I have to confess I can't find Susannah's birth at the moment, or the marriage of William Tatlow/Tetlow to a Susannah. However, there is a marriage of a William Tatlow to Mary Hannah Kirkland at Snelston, Derby on 14 Jan 1856 which would be about right for them to be the parents of Susannah. William was the son of Robert Tatlow and aged 22 and Mary Hannah was the daughter of John Kirkland and aged 19.

I think Mary Hannah was baptized in Snelston on 24 April 1836, daughter of John and Susanna Kirkland.

John married Susannah Etherington on 9 Sept 1833 in Snelston.

I'd have to do some more work to see if I can work out which John Kirkland that was, but I don't immediately think he's one of mine.

Is that any help? Let me know if you want me to try to push the Kirkland line any further.

Regards,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
As a postscript to my last post, it looks as though William Tatlow may have been the son of Robert Tatlow and Susannah Greatorex who was born 15 April 1835 and baptized 28 may 1835 at the Wesleyan Church, Ashbourne Circuit, Derbyshire. The age isn't quite right for him to be 22 when he married, but it does look the most likely.

It also seems as though William remarried Catherine Ann Fearn on 20 april 1868 at Longford, Derbyshire when he was aged 35 and she was 32.

He also remarried Jane Bednall in Longford on 6 Dec 1876 when he was 44 and she was 49.

This is getting complicated with several Susannahs and several Jane Bednalls.

regards,
John

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 10 03:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you John. I agree, it is complicated but so far this is the side of the family that has been easiest, apart from my father's mother whose family were mostly born in Australia. I've just found what may be my father's grandfather and his wife was Jane Jones! Urgh! Not looking forward to doing that side.

I think I have found Susannah TETLEY's birth, it is a possibility.

1891 census shows Mary Jane Webberley age 13, granddaughter of William & Jane Tatlow with them.
Name:     Jane Tatlow
Estimated birth year:    abt 1827
Relation:    Wife
Spouse's name:    William
Where born:    Church Broughton, Derbyshire, England

Civil parish:    Edlaston With Wyaston
Ecclesiastical parish:    St James
County/Island:    Derbyshire

I am quite happy with the information we have, at least if my children ever wish to find their roots then they have somewhere to start. I have realised with my father passing away and my mother having lost her memory that I should record the information I know at the least, if any future generations want to follow it further, they could.

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 August 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Jane Bednall (m: Wm Wibberley) was Jacob's mother. William Tatlow (M: Susannah Kirkland) was Susannah's (m:Jacob Wibberley) father. Susannah Tatlow and William Wibberley died and Jane and William married and had a child Amy. I think that's the story LOL Still getting my head around it. Am I correct in thinking it's very weird but not wrong?

On a similar note, my other Grandparents sides of the family isn't any easier. My paternal Grandfather William Jordan shares the same name EXACTLY as my paternal Grandmother's Great grandfather. GGGrandfather and GGGGrandfather and that's as far as i've got with it because it's so complicated and i'm afraid i'll find more. I am seriously cursing those people right now! They aren't related as far as I can tell but the same names?

Offline ROGER JAMES SHARPE

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 18 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I have heard of William Wibberley and his 5 wives. There is quite a bit of information on Ancestry.com. If you have access to Ancestry go to the captainneek  family tree. Possibly your local library has Ancestry software. I'd be happy to give you an invitation to my family tree on Ancestry, which has some info on William Wibberley. But you would have to send me your email address for me to send the invitation. I also believe I'm related through Jacob Bednall Webberley.

According to Ancestry researchers WILLIAM WIBBERLEY was born in November 1795. He had a son with JANE BEDNALL in 1857. He died in 1875 having lived a long life of 80 years. There are some researchers who have tried to make the case that WILLIAM was a tried and convicted bigamist who had several wives. An example of the allegations read:
Family Info:*
Spouse Eliza SHAW (1816-1840) Children William (1838-1867)
Spouse Phoebe COCKAYNE (1795-1846) Married 1816, Children William Joseph (1816-1893) Aaron (1819-1893) Isaac (1821-1827) Phoebe (1824-1903) John (1826-1847) Mary (1828-1841) Elizabeth (1832-1873) Rachel (1835-1916)
Spouse Mary WAKEFIELD (1816-1848) Married 1847
Spouse Alice ORME (1832-1893) Married 1848, Children Amanda (1848-1936)
Spouse Jane BEDNALL (1827-1906) Married 1849, Children Frances Anne (1851-1909) Job (1853-1918) Jonah (1853-1928) Jabez (1857-) Jacob Bednall (1857-1926) George Bednall (1860-)