Author Topic: John CHRISTIE - Glasgow Police detective C1841-51  (Read 14441 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: John CHRISTIE - Glasgow Police detective C1841-51
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
1861 map shows St Pauls church in John Street near the junction with George Street

I wonder where Ancestry added this detail from as it is not on the image available from SP which clearly shows the area as Outer High

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
SP index only has 1 baptism

12/05/1800 CHRISTIE JOHN son of WM. CHRISTIE at DUNBLANE /PERTH

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 August 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Mornin' all,

Good grief!! I wake up this morning to a mine of information unearthed in a twinkling by that triumvirate of lateral thinkers,  Falkyrn, Monica & Sancti. Thank you all again, kind ones.

Falkyrn, can you tell me where you located the (SP  ???) census image?  It's so legible that I wonder about the mistranscription on Ancestry....and since I do refer to Ancestry to a large extent (though not exclusively) I wonder if that's a common occurrence.......(btw, in the Anc. Tr. there's no mention of John as a widower, so you've narrowed down Janet's death date for me too  :-*)

I'm plumping for Dunblaine as J's birthplace too- it seems very probable if the census is accurate, although if Sancti could only find an 1800 baptism date, (J. born abt 1792) it makes you wonder if the parent/s were;  a) lazy, b) forgetful, c) uninterested or d) caught on the hop with a prem. birth out of their parish...... so many questions  ;) 

I've downloaded & scrutinised Glasgow maps & images, but must find a parish map, as the Par. refs. are meaningless without one. Falkyrn, you are a keen bean to be able to pull  ref. nos. & related info out of your head like that.......

I learnt from the High Court of Justiciary cases mentioned in the  Glasgow Herald that John also provided details of the "panel's" (ie the accused's) previous charges & convictions at trials, so I may try to access the relevant trial papers for more detail
.......which leads me to an interesting point......

John & Janet's daughter, Janet, arrived in NSW in 1841. 3 years later she gave birth to a daughter, the father of whom was George Wilson, of Airdrie, (weaver->indoor servant->butler) a Glasgow convict about the same age as her  father. George (whose trial papers I've ordered) was convicted for forgery on 27 Sep 1837 at ...wait for it..... the High Court of Justiciary in Glasgow  :o

Had John & George's paths crossed? Was young Janet acquainted with him in Scotland? Her cousin Ellison Swan and niece, Janet Orr were born in Airdrie....

George had a tattooed ring on his wedding ring finger, so may have left a wife behind....certainly he & Janet didn't marry in NSW.......in fact she married another convict after G's daughter's birth, had 2 more chn & died Nov 1848.....but I wonder about the coincidence, particularly as George maintained arelationship of some sort with his daughter, and consented to her marriage in 1863.... intriguing, non?

Ann
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 August 10 08:12 BST (UK) »
There are 2 John Christie deaths on the SP index for Glasgow 1 in 1851 and 1 in 1854. It might be worth looking at them to see if there is any more info recorded.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 August 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
Did you check to see when George arrived in NSW and was it assisted passage  ;D

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 August 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
Sancti:

Assisted by the Government, my dear...  :-[  :-[

He was transported for life, arriving in NSW in 1838 aboard the Lord Lyndoch, after being convicted on 27 Sep 1837 at Glasgow High Court of Justiciary.

There are a couple of things which strike me...

1) George was, according to his  Glasgow court record, a weaver from Aidrie, which is where Janet Orr and Alison/Ellison Snow were born..... hmmmm......and...
2) according to his convict record, George was an indoor servant.

Did he have a change of occupation in Scotland, or was he employed as a servant only after he arrived in Australia. Certainly he went on to become a butler/caretaker in the household of Major Archibald Innes at Port Macquarie NSW in the 1840s
SO, was there some kind of prior acquaintance between George & the Christie family ???..... I wonder....
Thoughts??
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 August 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
One question always open the door to many more  ;)

Regarding maps, have a look at these links for Scottish Parish Maps and Counties:

www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-maps.htm
www.scotlandsfamily.com/county-map.htm

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 August 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica  :D

Very useful!!

Ann

Offline wheeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 January 15 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A John Christie was one of three police who gave evidence against a man called John Millar in 1829. John Christie, Police Criminal Officer in Glasgow, resided at Deanside Lane Glasgow. He had known Millar  in his police role for four years - I presume in Glasgow.
Reference AD14/29/264, Precognition for John Millar in Stockwell Street.

Hope this helps.Gay