Author Topic: Jane Frances NICHOLSON, born Tipperary, 1833.Married 1852 Scotland,emig to Aust.  (Read 11557 times)

Offline VDLstories

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

I am currently in Ireland from Australia [Aug-Sept 2010] seeking places where ancestors came from, hoping to visit local spots. It would certainly be fantastic to meet any distant relatives also on this journey.

In Tipperary I come from a Jane Nicholson, b.1833. I am not sure if any of this Nicholson family remain today in Ireland, or who went with Jane to Scotland, where she married in 1852 aged 19.

Details below, many thanks for any advice/suggestion to assist me to find out more.

Julie

Jane Frances NICHOLSON  BORN Tipperary, TIPPERARY  C1833
I don’t know when she went to Scotland, but Jane married Robert Cuthbert HANSON on 4 Apr 1852 in Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland. Jane married  ROBERT CUTHBERT HANSON 
B. 4/4/1832 PERTH SCOTLAND ]
They both then emigrated on the ship:  Flora Mc Donald 1852 to Melbourne Australia.
Jane died on 29 Jan 1897 AGED 64 in Waratah Tasmania Australia.
The cause of death was peritonitis. She was buried in Latrobe, Tasmania, Australia.
Jane and Robert had nine children. Their second, Mary Hanson, is my gg grandmother.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Frances NICHOLSON, born Tipperary, 1833.Married 1852 Scotland,emig to Aust.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
To start to trace families before the start of Full Civil Registration (in 1864) you need to know the family religion, and the location they lived in - i.e. townland, town or parish.

There some Nicholson  entries listed on Griffith's valuation (a land tax survey showing heads of households) carried out a around the time your Nicholson family left - the  locations of which might be worth following up if some family members remained behind.

Nicholson - Tipperary South Riding
 Nicholson - Tipperary North Riding

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline VDLstories

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Frances NICHOLSON, born Tipperary, 1833.Married 1852 Scotland,emig to Aust.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
hi Shane

That was great - many thanks - I hadn't looked at the Griffiths valuation on that Ask About Ireland site before. I am learning the ropes.

These people could be family, hard to say.

I have downloaded the marriage in 1852 in Dunblane - full info is :

4 April 1852
Marriages
Old Parish Registers
348/0040 0258
Dunblane
Robert Hanson & Jane-Francis Nicholson, both of this Parish – two Sundays & married by [blank]
[Scotland’s people]
[not much].

Doesn't this O.P.R. marriage on Scotland's People indicate a protestant marriage?

On another matter - I see on your list of names: HODGES [Bristol]
I come from a Hodges from Bristol - and want to  start researching that family line or where to look for more information.

It is gg grandfather James Hodges, born c1844, Bristol to this couple:
Charlotte HANNAY OR HANNIE  born in 1818 in England?, died on 30 Oct 1906 in
Daylesford, Victoria, Australia at age 88, buried in Daylesford Cemetery.
Charlotte married James HODGES   on 17 Jun 1839 in Trevethin, Wales.
James Hodges was born in 1817 in Bristol, England, died on 6 May 1895 in Daylesford Victoria at age 78, buried in May 1895 in Daylesford Cemetery, Victoria, Australia.

James Hodges Jnr [b. c.1844 Bristol] married  Mary Ann Hanson [born 25 Sep 1854  Ashby, West Geelong, Victoria, Australia] she was a daughter of Jane-Frances [nee Nicholson of Tipperary] and  Robert Hanson  - from this Tipperary list query above !

Do you have any ideas on how to find these Hodges in Bristol, and Hannays? Are you on a Bristol list I should move this line of enquiry to?

Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
I'm not very familiar with older Scottish records, but I think you may be correct about the OPR being Church of Scotland. I think any RC records are separate.

I dont have much to follow up on my Hodges line in Bristol at the moment, other than my gtgtgt-grandfather Samuel Hodges was born there in 1804, and that his father John was a glassmaker. Samuel was a coastguard, and spent most of his adult life in Ireland. I have a post about him on somewhere on the Gloucestershire  board.

I think Hodges is a quite common surname in Bristol and the surrounding counties.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline VDLstories

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
hi again Shane

AOK, will pursue Hodges / Bristol, along with the other ancestors, and see how I go, step by step! I wonder why ther are a lotin Bristol, maybe from a particular trade by  name or something.

Scotland's people is so user friendly. I  haven't started tackling English records.
Irish ancestry seems  [at present to me to be] very difficult to trace from those leaving pre 1840s.

thanks for your advice, all the best
Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
might help getting you getting started with your search for details in Ireland  : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Jane Frances NICHOLSON  BORN Tipperary, TIPPERARY  C1833

The Irish Family History Foundation pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie  has some parish records for Co. Tipperary, but they only seem to to have Church of Ireland records available for the North Riding section of the County, so there's no way to check the other section of the county online at the moment. (see parishes included: http://www.irish-roots.ie/tipperary-north.asp)

I had a quick look at the index and there is a Jane Nicholson baptism listed in 1834.. but you would need to pay for the record to see if the details fit. As far as I can see the baptism is recorded in the Church of Ireland Parish of Roscrea.

Most Church of Ireland records include date of baptism, place of residence, father's full name, mother's first name, and possibly father's occupation. 

p.s. does Jane's death cert include any details on her parents ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline VDLstories

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

That could well be her - the 1834 Roscrea baptism. Thanks very much. If it is not very pricey  I might risk getting this baptism certificate anyhow. Not sure how to get it as yet.

I have now emailed the person in Australia with the most on the Nicholson/Hanson lineage, and hope that Jane's death certificate shed's more light re: parent's names. I don't have a copy of it.

I am thinking that Jane and Robert's children's naming likely reflects their grandparents and great grandparents names - below this.

thanks again, this is heading somewhere - to information -  I feel certain!
Julie

Robert Cuthbert Hanson and Jane Frances Hanson (Nicholson) had the following children:

F i  Elizabeth HANSON was born in 1853 in Portland,Victoria. She died in 1854 in Victoria.

F ii Mary Ann HANSON b 25/9/1854 Geelong   m. 4/6/1870 Geelong   d.15?/5/1910 Coburg

M iii Robert Francis HANSON was born in 1857 in Colac,Victoria. He died in 1906 in Gordon,Victoria. He was buried in Daylesford,Victoria. He married Agnes Jane GRAHAM in 1876 in Victoria.

M iv William Nicholson HANSON born in 1858 in Mt Gellibrand,Victoria. He married Alice Jane RADFORD-STONE on 9 Nov 1883 in Burnie,Tasmania

M v Thomas HANSON in 1860 in Steiglitz,Victoria. He died after 1905. He married Ellen RICHARDS on 21 Dec 1881 in Waratah Tasmania Australia.

F vi Annie HANSON was born in 1862 in Steiglitz,Victoria. She married George Alfred ALEXANDER on 27 Apr 1880 in Waratah Tasmania Australia.

M vii Samuel HANSON was born in 1865 in Morrisons,Nr Ballarat,Victoria. He died in 1865 in Victoria

M viii George HANSON born in 1866 in Durham Lead,Nr Ballarat,Victoria. He died in 1953 in Footscray,Victoria. He married Elizabeth HOLLAND in 1886 in Geelong,Victoria.

M ix Edwin Murray HANSON was born in 1868 in Durham Lead,Nr Ballarat,Victoria. He died in Lidcombe,New South Wales. He married Sarah ALFORD in Waratah Tasmania

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 August 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
I re-tried the baptism search using the various names you mentioned as father - for the Roscrea 1834 baptism is Thomas.

Shane
My Surname Interests