Author Topic: KNIGHT Isobel - my Gx4 G/mother .. I need some help  (Read 2587 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
KNIGHT Isobel - my Gx4 G/mother .. I need some help
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my Gx4 Grandmother, Isobel (sometimes Isabel ...  ::) ... ) ... KNIGHT ... what I have so far is as follows ...

she was born on 12 Oct 1756 (at Boharm) ... I have the OPR record from SP but it is hard to read ... refer 1st image below (I would appreciate any help in deciphering the handwriting ... )
she married James Russell 12 June 1793 (at Boharm) ... I have the record from SP  :)
the only child from the marriage so far on my record is William Russell, b. 26 June 1800 ... there must have been more ... but how would I find them? ... suggestions please ...  :)
her date/place of death has been somewhat difficult to define ... best possible that I have to date is a record from SP with a date of 22 Feb 1840, but the place of death is difficult to read, so I am not 100% sure I have the right person  ... (I would appreciate any help in deciphering the place name ... refer 2nd image below ... )

as always, any help is greatly appreciated ... and please note, I am in Australia, so jumping on a train to visit archives is just a tad difficult ...  :)
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: KNIGHT Isobel - my Gx4 G/mother .. I need some help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
The first one reads, " Febr 12th 1756 George Knight in Stripe Side had a daughter baptized by the name of Isabel ... Isabel Davidson ... Isabel ?Law? Witnesses."

I think the arrowed bit on the second (burial?) one might be N Mill, meaning Newmill, which is a village in the parish of Keith.

jumping on a train to visit archives is just a tad difficult
You'll just have to jump on a plane instead  ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 10 05:36 BST (UK) »
The first one reads, " Febr 12th 1756 George Knight in Stripe Side had a daughter baptized by the name of Isabel ... Isabel Davidson ... Isabel ?Law? Witnesses."
Forfarian ... thanks so much for that ... I had no chance of 'getting' Stripe Side  :) ... and much of the rest of it

I think the arrowed bit on the second (burial?) one might be N Mill, meaning Newmill, which is a village in the parish of Keith.
... and again, thanks ... I definitely wouldn't have 'got' Newmill (just north of Kieth, with interesting clock tower  :) ) ... the transcribers at SP had listed the death as Keith, but every time I looked at the OPR record it looked nothing like Keith ... you have sorted that ... so now I'll pursue that some more as the most likely ... need to confirm it's her so will have to 'look around' for a relative living in that area as she had moved away from the farm at Mortlach .

You'll just have to jump on a plane instead  ;)
... oh, flying ... what a terrifying thought ...  ;D ;D

again many thanks for your help ... my quest continues  :)
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline Granny Rose

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
I seem to have Isobel/Isable in my tree as well. She is daughter if James Knight & Isoble Ruddoch/Riddich who were married 10 July 1744 in Grange.
All their children seem to be born in Cullen.

I'm not sure exactly how she relates to me.
My line is a John Knight married 1799 Boharm to Elspet Russell. They had 2 children- George my 3x great grandfather who was born at Stripeside, Boharm in 1800 and his sister Elspet born 1808.

In the horse tax records for Boharm (1797-1799) there is a James Knight as well as my John Knight. There are Russells there as well.

My Elspet Russell is daughter of William Russell and Agnes Henderson. They are variously of Dundurcas Boharm and Keith-possibly a simple matter of a cart or horse ride apart from each other.

Isabel is buried in Lair 99 in Old Keith Cemetery, 22 Feb 1840.

Grave of William Russel and his wife Helen Fleming.

William Russell, farmer, Midtown of Buchromb inmemory of his beloved wife, Helen Fleming who died the 26 th day of March 1848 aged 40 years. Also the above William Russell who died at Midtown the eleventh day of August 1859, aged 58 years. And of his son George who died 20th day of April 1862 aged 27 years.
Transcription & photo
from Alan Taylor

If you think any of this is relevant please contact me. I'm in NZ so it will have to be a plane flight!

I'm on Ancestry.co.uk.
Kind regards
Rosemary