Author Topic: 19th Century maps  (Read 2774 times)

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th Century maps
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:12 BST (UK) »

Can anyone suggest a good website, resource etc for 19th century maps; specifically showing villages in the Dorchester area? I am visiting the town in a week or so and want to try and pinpoint exactly where various addresses showing on the 1851, 1861 are located.

Thanks
Steve

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Century maps
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
sorry, I didnt see this first time through!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354448.0.html

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you are visiting Dorchester then a trip to the Dorset History Centre might be useful for on-the-spot local information, maps etc.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genmaps/

Wonderful site. If you do have any difficulty I have two sets of 19th century Gazetteers with every place in England and Wales listed.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the swift replies folks. I know where the villages I want to see are but was hoping to find something detailed down to 'house level' so that even if the buildings no longer exist I can at least view where they were! There is something very pleasurable in walking where one's ancestors actually walked - or is that just me?  :)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
For that you would need the large scale Ordnance Survey maps - 6 inches to the mile might just do. However, they did not exist in such a scale until 30 or 40 years after the dates you mention. In that period many houses would have been demolished, burned or collapsed and new ones built.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
There is something very pleasurable in walking where one's ancestors actually walked - or is that just me?  :)

No I do it all the time and have found a lot in Dorchester and the surrounding villages. What I do is put the address into google maps which gives you an approx area then print it off and walk the street looking for numbers or finding an address or house name from the census (same census page or previous and/or next page) and follow it along. In Dorchester half the street was modern but you could see what the houses were like from some older one's not demolished but the numbers in the new bits were the same so you could judge where it was, another street was as it was on the 1851/61/71/81 census and my relative moved to various houses in the same street !! Another thing I like to do is to find a church where someone was married or christened and mostly the original font is still there where the ceremony took place and I can imagine the whole family stood around it.

cheers
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
Back home and did all that Westy!
Sadly, i didnt find anything startling in the Dorchester records building and i didnt stumble upon a family gravestone at the churches I visited, but still thoroughly enjoyed my time in Dorset