Author Topic: Rugby, Warwickshire  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Bobbie Bobkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rugby, Warwickshire
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
hi, can anyone tell me if there was an old police station on craven road, rugby?  apparently one of my ancestors was detained there.  i would love to know what it looked like, how many it 'catered' for, basically anything at all.  i have been told that it has now been demolished, but that it was on the site of the present lucas house/the benn partnership centre. 

does anyone have any info (especially pictures) at all? ???

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Rugby, Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Yes there was I lived in Rugby for a while.. It has been changed into homes now... It used to be opposite the old Cattle market.

xin

I havent any pics   but remember it well.  It wasnt a Massive place ... 

Offline TimWeedon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
There is a photo at Coventry Evening Telegraph - Saturday 25 June 1960 p 21 cols 1,2, which you can see at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000769/19600625/255/0021 .  The police station is the building on the right with the turret on top.

With best wishes,
Tim

Offline TimWeedon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
I copied your post to Rachel, a member of both the Rugby Family History Group and of the Rugby Local History Research Group.  She circulated it more widely and David provided the attached photo of the Police Station on the corner of Craven Road and Railway Terrace. He commented: "It was in use until 1973. Courts above. I remember our youth group visiting there about 1966 ish & touring the place. Cells were in the basement (not sure how many)."
With best wishes,
Tim