Author Topic: Charles Davis 1831 or 1838 born Oxfordshire  (Read 5977 times)

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Davis 1831 or 1838 born Oxfordshire
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out a bit more about this man who is the direct ancestor of a family I'm researching.  There are 3 Charles Davis in the line, this is the earliest one so far.  His son (Charles, abt1875-1956) married an Elizabeth Bromwell (1880-1966) and their son, Charles (1903-1977) married Clara Hodgkins.  This last one is the grandfather of the person I am researching this for and both her and her father either remember the aforementioned last to Charles's and/or have their paperwork regards birth and death.  We only had the direct line though and I'm trying to fill out the sides a bit. 

Charles Davis (1903) had 4 siblings found in records.  There is a 1911 census record that shows..

Daniel Bromwell (1901)
Edward Sidney Bromwell (1902)
Harry Davis (1907)
Harriet Davis (1909)

I have no marriage details for any of these siblings or their individual families.

I've seen a 1881 census record at Grafton Flyford, Worcs that shows Charles (1877) with his father (Charles 1831, travelling tinman) and mother (Eliza 1841) and siblings..

Ellen  1866 Gloucestershire
James  1868  Worcester
Priscilla 1879  Wiltshire

I've had a heck of a time trying to find any other census records for the father but I've just today found another one that names 2 more siblings...

1871  Barton St Mary, Gloucs

Charles Davis  1838 - gypsy traveller
Eliza Davis  1841
Raiowa Davis 1856, Herefordshire *I think it says Rosemary
Monley Davis 1866, Gloucs *I think this is Ellen due to the year of birth but the name is almost illegible.
Sarah Davis 1867, Wiltshire
James Davis 1870, Worcester.

Seeing as Sarah wasn't listed on the 1881 census, it's possible she died young and Rosemary would have been on an age to have been married by then.

I can't find any other records for this family and would love to hear from people who can claim any of the names mentioned here.

The line I'm following eventually ended up going by the name Davies and settled in Worcestershire.

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline chwaer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Davis 1831 or 1838 born Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I've just discovered that my family has romany blood in it.
My grandfather's name was Thomas Davis, born 1907. His father was also Thomas Davis (don't know birth date or wife's name). Thomas Davis senior is listed on his son's marriage certificate as a carter.

My grandfather's siblings were Irene (married name Parker, died in 1962 I believe) and Minnie. There could be more of course. My mum remebers Irene had a gypsy funeral even though she lived in a house (she always kept her caravan).

They are all linked to Walsall in Staffordshire.
I wish I could find out more, but I can't seem to find any registered birth certificated or appearances on the census.

Meg
Davis
Rutter
Sims - Ireland

Offline chwaer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose you end up with a Thomas, Minnie or Irene Davis at all. I'm still a bit stuck on this.
Thanks
Davis
Rutter
Sims - Ireland

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scally
                i have a Nellie Davis who married 1913 in  cheltenham born c 1892 her father on the wedding cert was James davis general hawker . she married a Ryalls they travelled round the glouster worchester area, wonder if that could be ur James. i havent been able to find them on any census
                take care Matilda
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
hi, all, just saw the subject. it can be hard to trace romany travellers as some would hide, or change names on census days, also could be travelling? and lots of romany folk did not register the children. i had aunts and uncles who were not registered. so family can be hard to find at times. but most did baptise the babies,and marry in church so parish regs are good for finding ancestors. and we did/do tend to travel in the same areas, if you find one gypsy family member on a church register, you will find others. good luck. rob.g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 13:28 GMT (UK) »
hi - just bookmarking to look up those census records for you  :)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
the full 1881 census
The Common Grafton Flyford

Charles Davis 50 travelling tinman b. Chadlington Oxfordshire
Eliza 40 tinmans wife b. Ledbury Herefordshire
Ellen 15 dau. b. Gloucester
James13 son b. Worcester
Charles  4 son b Worcester white ladies aston
Priscilla 2 dau . b. Highberk wiltshire
: RG11; 2931;  26; : 10;

separate household also on the common

Thomas Morris 30 ag lab b. Grafton Flyford
Elizabeth 29 wife gloveress b. wesley banks stafford

separate household again

Corneilius Sharratt 30 traveller dealer in crooks b. wesley banks stafford
Elizabeth wife 22 b. Ledbury Herefordshire
Edith dau 3 wks b. Alderston Gloucester

these travellers families  tended to stick together  ;)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Scally i'm not finding anything you dont already have but for anyone else who is looking the full 1871 census reads thus:

Barton  St Mary Gloucester
Barton Street
dwelling in huts
Charles Davis   33 head  Gipsy traveller b. Chadington Oxfordshire
Eliza Davis   30 wife do.  b. Ledbury
Rosemary Davis   15 do. b. Stanton Herefordshire
Monley [transcribed] Davis   5 b. Gloucestershire i think this does begin with M and ends in ley i have no ideadwhat the name could be though
Sarah Davis   4 b. Wotten Bassat
James Davis   1 b. Worcester

separate household

Richard Duckitt   36head  Gipsy traveller b. Fairstone Glos.
Jane 30 wife  do. b. Broadway Worcs.
Charles 13 son do.  b, Oxfordshire
Henry    11 do. son b. do.
Cornelius    6 son b,. stroudwater glos
Elizabeth    3 dau b. bristol
Freedom Smith   adopted child 20 b. abingdon
Richard Duckett   70 father widwo b. welbury oxon.
(transcribed Dockett)

RG10;  2621;  53;  12

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:36 GMT (UK) »
was hoping maybe they would be with the Ducketts iin other census
i found the Ducketts in 1881 obviously not with the Davis as already found them but for ref.

RG11;  2022;  15;  24

&
 RG9;  1273;  163; : 17