Author Topic: William Flack  (Read 9252 times)

Offline gumboots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Flack
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat.  It is good to still have some options to try.  I am still a bit confused about the Mellis/Melles.  Think I will check and see if the Mormon Centre has records for Melles and if so, check for a Thomas Dye there too.  Like I said before, families often used the same names.  The Mellis family seemed to fit though, also with Ann's sisters Sarah and Esther Dye who married at Oakington.  But you have shaken my tree a little with the info given to me by Shire Hall.  It still reads as though Walston and Mellis in Suffolk were given as places of birth in relation to the marriage at Impington.  Never mind, hope to visit UK one day, so might get to have a crack at it in person.  Can you tell me what information I could expect on an English death certificate if I sent for one for Thomas Dye who died at Oakington in 1846?  They vary enormously here in Australia from State to State.  A South Australian one would not give you parents.
Thanks again.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 August 10 22:36 BST (UK) »
A connection at last - very windy day her in south Suffolk !  22h20 Sunday evening and the winds have died down at last.

The information for Melles/Mells would probably be with the parish records for Wenhaston St Peter's they run from 1687-1900 at the SRO, and should be available to order from the LDS.

I look after all the Local History Recorders in parishes throughout the county (and have info on those parishes which became part of Norfolk in the county boundary changes) and I can assure you there is no Walston in Suffolk.
I dug out my copy of 'Origins of Suffolk Place-names' today and checked with accent pronunciations too in fact, a friend of ours Robert Malster has written about the Suffolk accent and dialect and our daughter who studied English Language at Uni wrote her thesis on same subject).

Bearing in mind that the Suffolk accent would say Wall for Worl I am wondering now about Worlington.  When I did have a connection this morning I checked randomly for Flack and there was an amazing amount of folk with this name in the Lakenheath/Mildenhall area in1851.

The only other place I can think of is West Row, which of course is said as one word Westrow - still doesn't make a great deal of sense though.

I also checked through the info I have on my home PC for my website and see that you have registered in the past and I was unable to help further with that to see if any other areas are predominantly 'Flack areas' of the county.

I have been out of action, stuck at home, following surgery and 8 weeks R&R, am nearly six weeks into that - but all being well, once I have finalised our LHRs conference day in October, I will be able to visit the Bury branch of the SRO and maybe able to carry out some look ups for you in possible parishes.

Pat ...

www.slhc.org.uk

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
I did contact Simon for his thoughts - here is his reply.

Walsham? Weston? or most likely Woolverstone?

I am beginning to think you will need to check out all parishes beginning with 'W'  ;D  ;D  ;D

Night Night

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline gumboots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your continued interest Pat.  I have been digging around looking for ancestory for my William Flack for some time.  It is hard to just give up.  I try to keep the query out there, just in case someone gets hold of new records or something!  It is a very good fit to think he is the little brother of John the convict, and I may end up having to be happy with a best fit.  But I will follow up some of your suggestions and see how I go.  Thanks again.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Just musing  :-\

If Ann was from Mellis, would William have been from nearby Wortham?

Still windy here in south Suffolk, but sunny on this Bank Holiday Monday.
Off out soon.

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Have just been through

Parson and People in a Suffolk Village
Richard Cobbold's Wortham 1834-77
ed. David Dymond

no mention of any Flack families  ::)

Back to the drawing board!

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Has this one been mentioned, which isn't far from Mellis. WYVERSTONE.

BUT, like you say Pat, the parishes beginning with W need checking before anything else. :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Seeing your suggestion of Wyverstone made me think of Woolverstone (which is much further south - just south east from Ipswich).

I think we are looking at checking out all parishes beginning with 'W'  ::)  ::)  ::)

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline gumboots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 August 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Can we assume William Flack and Ann Dye knew each other before going to Cambridgeshire and marrying in 1829?  Perhaps the places in Suffolk in which they were born are not close at all!  I am thinking William was on his own when he went to Cambridgeshire, but Ann may have been with her parents.  The young couple may have met there.