Author Topic: St Werburgh's Church Hanbury Staffordshire  (Read 11081 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Werburgh's Church Hanbury Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 April 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks goldie.  Yes, the weather is being kind at the moment - I hope that hasn't frightened it  ;D 

It was a nice day out, and the headstone made a change from photographing wills  :-X :-X :-*
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
ho ho ho !! ;D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline George4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete2,

Thank you for sending a PM, as I honestly would not have seen your post.

It's good to know that there are other people with a common interest into researching the Phillips family :)

It would be really interesting to know, if you bear the Phillips family surname, or related through marriage.

[1] John Phillips is definitely my GGG Grandfather, as was born 16.02.1800 in Hanbury, Staffordshire and interestingly, appears to have no known father. It might be a simple example of the father not attending the actual christening, or was not married at the time, and that could be reason for the father's name not to be on parish register ?

[2] John married Hannah Poutain 03.09.1827 in Hanbury Staffordshire [Possibly Parish Church].
[3] From the 1841 UK Census, they already had the following issue of children; Sarah [14],
     Thomas [11], Joseph [7], Mary [4] and Elizabeth [2]. 
[4] From the 1851 UK Census, Joseph [now 17], Mary [now 14], Elizabeth [now 12] with additional
     children since 1841, George [8], John [6], Catherine [4] and another Thomas [1]. Sarah would
     be aged 24 and possibly has married and moved on. Sadly it appears that Thomas might have
     passed away between 1841 to 1851, and that is possibly why, they had another son named
     Thomas.

I am the direct descendant from Joseph Phillips, who christening was on 08.09.1833 in Hanbury, Staffordshire. He later married Anne White in 1856, and they later had 9 boys and 3 girls.

One of their 9 sons, George, does not appear on the UK Census in 1881, as it is possible that he left for Sydney, New South Wales Australia allegedly with his 3 paternal Uncles. Later he appears upon a Marriage certificate dated 1888, married to Sarah Turner in Pyrmont, Sydney NSW, and then subsequently to Western Australia in [1894 ?] until his passing in 1933.

I do have a plethora of other information, that might be able to further assist you in your research, and I am willing to assist.

Thanks to Alf Beard in 2010, he very kindly sent photograph's Hannah's headstone. Thanks also to BumbleB for posting them, and for the effort afforded :)

It is through the kindness of others, that makes us strive harder.

Not sure what happened to Yozzer, as we got lost in the ether.

If you could please Pete2, I do need any information that you could share about John and Hannah, as you mentioned it in one of your posts.

Kind regards
George4
Armitage- Hanbury Woodend- Staffordshire
Phillips Family

Offline pete2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi George
   Nice to get your reply! Yes I am also a direct descendent of John & Hannah Phillips through their son John. I've got the same info as you, back to Mary Phillips, thanks to some of the very helpful 'RootsChat' folks!! So not sure if any of the info (so far) going back will be new to you.
   Going forward, I've got info on 3 of the children - Mary, Joseph & John (my line). Interesting that Joseph was your line. Am putting a tree together with everything I've got so far up to today. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks, so will forward you stuff as I find out and collate. Happy to send you all my side of the family if you don't already have it.
   Best 'Phillips' family greetings to you down under!!
Pete   :)

Offline D_Sharp_Major

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
I didn't see a response to your post asking for a photo of the gravestone of Hannah Phillips. However, one of my husband's golfing buddies is currently on holiday in England so I asked him to get the photo just in case you haven't got it. He has done so and uploaded it to https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2515080&GRid=182889859&
Regards, Kathy
(No, we're not related.)

Offline pete2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,
Thank yo so much for your effort! Much appreciated, especially as it looks like you're are not in England. If you scroll back through these posts you'll see that BumbleB got some photos of the gravestone and church. People are very helpful on this site! But I'll look at the photos your friend took too.
All the best with your searches. I'm very new to this but have found out a lot and found cousins in Australia which is fantastic.
Very interesting and rewarding!
Regards Pete2    :)