Author Topic: George Scott and Mary Francis, Hull  (Read 7960 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Scott and Mary Francis, Hull
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about George Scott, b. 1801 in Kingston Upon Hull who married Mary Francis (b. 1805, Hull) in 1823. They came to New Zealand with 4 of their children in 1840, I think they were in Wellington first, then went to Lyttelton where they remained, he died in 1875, she died in 1877. One of their children, Samuel Francis Scott, b.1830, was my ggg grandfather- he was married to Ann Cryer. I am looking particularly for information about George Scott- who were his parents and family? Mary's parents were Samuel Francis, born approx 1779, and Mary Barker born approx 1783.

I don't know any more than this, regarding their life in Yorkshire, so I would be grateful for  any information. Also if anyone knows anything about their life in N.Z. I would like more detail. George was listed as a carpenter when he arrived, and I have seen a George Scott listed as a publican in Lyttelton, but I am not sure if that is him.

Offline lizanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Scott and Mary Francis, Hull
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
I can't find anything for 1801.
The only baptism I can find for a George Scott Kingston upon Hull is
George Scott male birth 7 Mar 1794 , christening 18 Mar 1794  @ Fish Street Independant .
Parents Alexander Scott & Sarah.
Jane

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
It's hard to know if that would be the right person. Most references I have seen to him say 1801, but of course often these things can be wrong! The only clue I have about his birth is "Myton", Hull, but I don't know what or where that is.

Offline lizanne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Myton was a parliamentary ward in Hull.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Hull/index.html

you may also find this useful

http://www.dixon115.freeserve.co.uk/boundaries.htm

Jane

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Could this be him, taken from the East Riding Family History Society's Baptisms Booklet, Holy Trinity 1792-1812.
20th March 1799, George & William sons of George Scott.  no further details.
Gogogadgetlegs
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have to put a spanner in the works but there is also a baptism on 11 October 1803 same place George son of Jonothan & Phoebe Scott, again no further details.
gogogadgetlegs
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 10 00:47 BST (UK) »
It's quite frustrating looking for a name like George Scott! I suspect that the people who have tried to research him previously have hit the same brick wall as I have. The records for his birth only say "1801 Kingston upon Hull" which isn't very clear- possibly it just means the family lived there rather than him being born there. So I guess he could have been born anywhere! :-\

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Lindynz,
Myton is Holy Trinity, Hull, are you saying that 1801 is his birth in Kingston upon Hull, or about the time of his birth, or is this a term other people researching this person are using as "I do not know the exact place but it is Hull"
There are no other entries in Hull for 1801 for a George Scott so my guess would have to be that it must be one or the other of these baptisms as there are no entries for surname Scott, George in Hull Sculcoates Parish Records.
Was Samue lFrancis Scott born in Hull, i suspect he was ot as there are no entries in 1830 for this person in Myton or Sculcoates,
regards,
gogogadgetlegs
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 September 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Well I always thought that 1801 was his birth year because none of the references to him said there was any uncertainty, but since no birth record has shown up for 1801 I have to wonder. I'm starting to think that nobody has actually verified it. Which would make things a whole lot harder!

And to make things a whole lot worse, I just had a look on I.G.I., there are numerous references to the same Samuel Francis Scott, George's son (by the way, Samuel also had a son called Samuel Francis, born in New Zealand 1856), and there are three different birth years given for him- 1826, 1831, or 1837. A family tree I was given says 1830. The 1837 one says Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, the others just say Kingston Upon Hull. They all refer to Samuel's wife in NZ, Ann Cryer so they are all the same person.

Wow, I think this one might have to go in the too hard basket.  :(