Author Topic: Kelly- is there any hope?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline dawnie dawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly- is there any hope?
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I believe that my relative was born in Co Leitrim (stated on UK 1851 census). His name was John Kelly  and was born approx 1796. He had a son Hugh born in Ireland in 1838 whose mother is unknown but I beleive she died in Ireland as John married again as a widower in Wakefield in 1843.  His father was called Patrick who was a Labourer and still alive in 1843 at the wedding. This is all I have. Is there any chance that any records exist to find out any more or is this too vague? Many Thanks Dawn
Ainsworth, Kelly, Penswick (Lancs/Yorks)
Chapman, Dell (Middx)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly- is there any hope?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
For such early details you will need to research parish records, and to do this you will need to know the family religion and where in Co. Leitrim they lived - i.e. town, townland or parish. Very few records exist for before 1800.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ljackstx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly- is there any hope?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I just saw your post and I think that your John Kelly may be the brother of my great grandfather Thady Kelly.  Look at this link.  https://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-10198/1911-ireland-census?itemId=44321-&groupId=a57a59a625954524bfc064fdadf2f400&action=showRecord

My grandmother, Mary Kelly had a brother John Kelly.  Her father was Thady Kelly.  They were from county leitrim, and I am sending you the 1911 Census data that shows Thady's father also Thady (and my great great grandfather) and his brother John (my great great uncle) was living with them at the time.  The age is around 70, so would have a birth in the mid 1800's in Leitrim.  My grand parents emigrated to the USA, where I was born and raised, but I am now living in St Andrews, Scotland.
Laura Ruth Jacks