Author Topic: Old Swinford Hospital School  (Read 4843 times)

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Old Swinford Hospital School
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Whilst trying to trace some of my Webley ancestors, I have been researching Ernest Webley born 1888, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, son  of James Webley & Mary Ann Hill.

On 1901 census he is a pupil at Old Swinton Hospital & Sanitorium.  All the pupils appear to be about 13 and I wondered if anyone could tell me what sort of school this was.  Why, I wonder, would one child out of quite a large family (6 children) be sent to this instituion.  Also, I cannot find any reference to Ernest on 1911 census and wondered if this was a school for sick children.

I note that this institution is now a state boarding school.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Old Swinford Hospital School
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
Old Swinford Hospital opened in the late summer of 1670. It was founded by Thomas Foley, an ironmaster and prominent local landowner, whose main estate was at Great Witley, west of Stourport in Worcestershire, but with strong Stourbridge connections. It was to educate 60 boys from “poor but honest” families nominated by specified parishes in Worcestershire, Staffordshire and Warwickshire. The school was sometimes named as Foley's blue coat school or hospital and had run to 70 boys by 1868[1].
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 August 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Wow, that was quick. 

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly.
Do you think that Ernest Webley was given a place at the school because he was particularly bright or could it have been because he was ill?  He had a twin brother who remained at home.

Ernest seems to have disappeared from the records after 1901.
Panton, Webley, Hinton, O'Connell, Magee, White, Huish, Meek, Wootten and Parslow amongst others

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 August 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am sure the current school will have an archivist so it would be worth contacting them to see if they have any records about him.  They might be able to say who paid the bill or if he had a free place.  Sometimes "bright" boys had patrons such as the local vicar or squire who put their names forward
Regards
Andrea

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I have found the details of the school on the net and I will email them to see if I can find out anything.
Many thanks
Carole

Offline Bart-Jan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 September 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Chelsen,

I am also looking into the Webley family since very recently.
And particularly into Ernest Webley 1888 from Bromsgrove, so I am extremely interested what you have on his ancestors.
I can tell you why you did not find him in the 1911 Census, because he emigrated to Australia where in 1916 he joined the ANZAC forces age 28 already a widower. When enlisting he was a "coachbuilder", and after the great war he worked on the rail in Australia.
Like himself, he got twins with his frist wife, although the wife and one child died.
He was sent of to World War I in 1917 and did not return before june 1919.
He later re-married, and got a few more kids. I visited his grandchild last week in Australia , as he married my wife's cousin. I am a long time pedigree researcher in the Netherlands, but for the Webley's in Australia I am now researching (since last week).
My wife's cousin is from Dutch decent an I completed her pedigree up to 9 generations.
I have more information at home, and particualarly about his offspring in Australia.
Again, I am very curious on what you already have.
regards, Bart-Jan van den Boogaart, the Netherlands

Offline chelsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 September 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Bart Jan

Back from my holiday now and would like to communicate with you about the Webley family as I have a lot on them.  My 2 x Great Grandmother was Rhoda Webley, daughter of Romeo Webley and Frances Winterson.
You might like my email address - ....................
I think you also contacted me on facebook?

Carole Helsen

Moderator Comment:  email address removed to prevent spamming etc.

Offline Bart-Jan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 September 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Carole,

hope you had a good holiday.
Yes, I aso contacted you on Facebook, for spamming reasons the moderator
removed your e-mail address. Maybe you can send it via Facebook and we'll be in contact.
regards,
Bart-Jan

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 September 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
We have our own personal message system on rootschat.  Click on the green scroll under the poster's name to access it.  That is a completely private way of giving people sensitive information.
Regards
Andrea