Author Topic: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich  (Read 6379 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Maria Frances Langley, who was born around 1840 in Woolwich. She married John Brunton in Auckland N.Z. in 1864, but I don't know when she came to New Zealand.

I have seen on the I.G.I. that her parents were Edward Langley and Mary Maria Marchant, and that Mary's parents were Richard Marchant and Mary Ashendon. I believe the Marchants may have been from Peasmarch.

I would like confirmation that this is the family of my Maria Frances Langley, and if so, I would like to know more about the Langleys, Marchants, etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 August 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
I would like confirmation that this is the family of my Maria Frances Langley

If she died after 1875 - her parents names will be on her death cert

From  http://www.exploregenealogy.co.uk/NewZealandDeathRecords.html

After 1875, things improve for anyone tracing family history, as death certificates became very full. As well as the information above, the certificate now contained the cause of death, the duration of the last illness, the name of the doctor and when he last saw the person, as well as the name of the deceased's father and mother (including her maiden name), when and where the deceased was buried and even the name and religion of the minister or witness. However, some of the most important new facts for a genealogist are how long the deceased had been in New Zealand, where he was born, where he'd married (including to whom and at what age) and the number and sex of the children. You can find plenty there to spur on your research in several different directions.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Are you sure she was born c1840?  I only ask because there is a birth registration in the vicinity 1848 http://freebmd.rootsweb.com :-\

Is she the Frances BRUNTON (no mention of Maria) died 1887 in NewZealand then it gives her age as 39 ie. born c1848 https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/ ???  By starting with some New Zealand records it will be easier to trace her over here for certain.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 10 23:47 BST (UK) »
You could be right about the 1848 birth, my records only say "about" 1840 for her birth. I don't have any kind of certificate for her, but I have a birth certificate for her daughter, Frances Ethel, which says her mother was aged 37 in 1886, and that she was born in Woolwich, so that would probably match the 1848 record.

I will have to do some more digging to confirm her death date.

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 01:06 BST (UK) »
I just been told that Maria Frances died while giving birth to Frances Ethel in 1886.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 September 10 07:31 BST (UK) »
Its interesting that there is no corresponding Groom on Maria Frances Langleys Marriage Reg on NZ BMD!
1864/1992

To confirm all the info you need the Death Cert of Francis Brunton and Marriage Cert of her and John.
As she was relatively young when married, it is possible her Parents were Witnesses at the Marriage.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for her daughter, Frances Ethel, which says her mother was aged 37 in 1886, and that she was born in Woolwich

When you say "my records" say she was born c1840 ............. may we ask what records these are?  If Frances Ethel's birth certificate gives her as born c1848 I can't quite see where you are getting 1840 from especially as there is a birth registration with the correct name in the right area 1848 as mentioned above.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Well, for years I was unable to find out anything about her because the birth certificate for Frances Ethel mistakenly said her mother's maiden name was Langton. It was only when I started digging again recently that I noticed on John Brunton's death certificate that his wife's name was Langley, and that the name Langley pops up in other family members names.

I must have used the "about 1840" record from I.G.I. because that was the only "Maria Frances Langley" born in Woolwich, but that one doesn't say who she married. That was where I saw the names Edward Langley and Mary Maria Marchant. I have since seen another entry there that doesn't give a birth place, or the parent's names, but does say 1848, and that she married John Brunton. No death year mentioned on that one.

So- that 1848 record would be correct, because I know that is definitely the right Maria Frances. But, since there are only 3 entries there for Maria Frances Langley, and they all contain information that I know to be true, I have to suspect that all 3 are referring to the same person, including the one that gives her parents names. Which is what I would like to find out! Does the 1848 birth record mention her parents?

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 July 13 07:47 BST (UK) »
I know it's been a few years, but I'm hoping to revive this topic. I now have Maria's death certificate (under the name Frances Brunton)- she died in 1887, aged 39, which I believe proves the 1848 Lewisham FreeBMD record for her birth. Her parents' first names aren't given on the certificate, but their surnames were "Langlie" and "Marchard", which gives weight to my theory that Edward Langley and Mary Maria Marchant were her parents, however I still can't find any definite proof of this - I can't even find her on FamilySearch any more. Can anyone confirm if they were her parents? The Marchant family tree I found gives the marriage of Edward and Mary in Whitechapel, but doesn't list children. If this post gets no response I will start a new thread, because I'm really quite keen to establish who her parents were. I will also make a fresh post on the NZ board regarding her arrival in NZ.