Author Topic: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich  (Read 6396 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 July 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
1851- 1 New Charlotte Street, Charlton, Kent

Edward LANGLEY head mar 38 corn dealer b.Putney Surrey
Maria wife 28 b.Brighton Sussex
Frances dau 2 b.Charlton Kent
Eleanor dau 1 b.Charlton Kent
Mary SMITH servant 10 b.Woolwich
HO/107 1590 folio 129 page 17

Edward LANGLEY married Mary Maria MARCHANT St Mary Whitechapel 8 Jun 1847.  He a bachelor of full age, corn dealer of High Street son of Edward LANGLEY grocer.  She of full age spinster of same address dau of Richard MARCHANT victualler.  Witnesses Henry? CHAPMAN and Elizabeth MORGAN.

Casalguidi  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 July 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
Edward LANGLEY baptised Putney, Surrey 3 Jan 1813 son of Edward and Martha of Putney (Roehampton crossed out), a carpenter.

1851 High Street, Putney, Surrey

Edward LANGLEY head wid 62 grocer in general? b.Marlow Buckinghamshire
Frances dau unm 28 b.Roehampton
Frederick son unm 30 grocer's assistant b.Roehampton
Robert son 22 unm grocer's assistant b.Roehampton
HO107/1579 folio 187 page 8

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 July 13 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, casalguidi - finally some progress on the Langley family! Your information is tallying with my other post on the NZ board. It looks like Edward died in Lewisham in 1854, and his widow Mary Maria took the four children to NZ in 1863. I'm still keen to find a birth or christening record for Maria Frances showing the names of her parents (the FreeBMD record doesn't name them), and further information about Edward's family would also be appreciated, but it all seems to be adding up that this is indeed her family.  :)

Offline wibsey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 March 17 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am interested in the Langleys for my wife's line, I'm not sure about Edward'd parents  - casalguidi, you have a marriage record for him and Maria showing her father as Richard, could you tell me the source of that information please?
1851 census says Edward born in 1813.
The 1851 census for Edward's family shows Edward, his wife, Maria and their two children (Frances (born 1849) and Eleanor (born 1850).

Edward died 5/6/1854 but by that time, the couple had had a further three children.

The registration district on his death certificate is recorded as Lewisham Union.

The death certificate records his cause of death as being Trismus (Lockjaw) Idiopathic (from an unknown source) for 3 days. The name of the person certifying the cause of death is not stated.

His wife was present at the time of death, and she put her mark to the certificate showing that she was illiterate.

The 1861 census has three of the children, Ellen (aka Fanny Helen); Emma Caroline and Edward, living in an institution at 4 William Street. Bethnal Green.

There is no mention of Mary or her three surviving eldest children Eleanor (aged 10/11), Frances (aged 13) or Frances Maria (aged 14) who were all perhaps in the workhouse.

New Zealand death records show that Mary Maria Langley (née Marchant) [1870/3772] was aged 46 at the time of her death on the 21st March 1870 so born about 1824,

I can't find any birth for Mary on the IGI to Richard that matches that year, but did find one on FindMyPast in 1824 in Brighton to Stephen Marchant and Sarah. comments invited!
Mary Maria Langley sailed to NZ aboard the Silver Eagle which left Grenwhich, London on 28/09/1862 and arrived in Auckland on 31/01/1863.
The article in Auckland's Daily Southern Cross, Volume XIX, Issue 1727, of 31 January 1863, at Page 13 shows the passengers in this family as:
Mary M
Fanny H
Helen
Emma
Emma
Edward

is this Helen the missing Eleanor from the passenger list of the Silver Eagle?

There is no explanation as to why Emma should be entered in the list twice, but Frances Maria is not mentioned and I believe this to be a further clerical error by the person who wrote the story for the newspaper. and the seccond Emma is actually Frances Maria, and as Mary was illiterate (as shown by her just putting her mark to her husband's death certificate, rather than signing her name), she would have been unable to tell if an error had been made and  her dialect may have led to this error.

The Mrs LANGLEY (bur. 23 March 1870 - aged 46 years) arrived in New Zealand on board the "Silver Eagle" in 1863 with a son and three daughters.   She is buried with her daughter Mrs ARMOUR.

I think that this is another example of an editorial error, Mrs Langley arrived with her son and four daughters. but as she was illiterate as shown by her just putting her mark on her husband's death certificate, she would be unable to know if the newspaper had made an error.
===============

There is no explanation in any records I have found so far as to why three of Maria's children were in an institution at the time of the 1861 census, without their mother and two other siblings, where she, Frances and Fanny were at the time of that census nor how she managed to fund the price of the passage for herself and her five children to New Zealand 18 months later.

Offline wibsey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Maria's marriage certificate dated 8/6/1847 in the Parish of St Mary, Whitechapel, which confirms her father's name as Richard. but I am having difficulty locating the family in England.
Unfortunately the marriage certificate only says that Maria is of full age, i.e. over 21 so born before 1826 so that doesn't help identify her in the baptismal records.
I haven't been able to locate her birth/baptism in any of Find My Past, Freebmd or the IGI.

I have not been able to locate any marriage of Richard Marchant and Mary Ashendon so would appreciate  knowing where this marriage information was sourced

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you have these Census?

1851 Census
Charlton, Kent
Richard Marchant, 68, Head, Mar, Lic Victualler employing 1 Man , born Brightling, Sussex
Mary Marchant, 48, Wife, Mar, born Northam, Sussex
Arthur Marchant, 14, Son, born Charlton, Kent

1841 in Charlton, Kent;
Richard Marchass, 50, Gardener
Mary Marchass, 35
MARIA Marchass, 15******
William Marchass, 13
Thomas Marchass, 10
Arthur Marchass, 5
All down as born in County

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I can find these Baptisms;
St Luke, Charlton, Kent
WILLIAM Marchnat, 11 Nov 1827 (birth 11 Sept 1827) to Richard/Mary, Father a Gardener
THOMAS Marchant, 18 July 1830 (birth 11 June 1830) to Richard/Mary, Father a Gardener
ARTHUR JAMES Marchant, 18 July 1836, to Richard/Mary, Father a Gardener
(Source FreeREG)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Mary ASHENDEN Christened 11 October 1801, Northiam, Sussex, England
Parents JOHN/MARY
(Source Familysearch.Org)

A Tree has Richard marrying Mary, 6 JUL 1819 • Peasmarsh Rye East Sussex
(I cant confirm this)

Given the age gap Richard may have been married before.

Offline wibsey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 March 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I had some of this info but wasn't sure about it.

The 1851 census has Richard born in 1783 in Brighton, Sussex, but the 1861 one has him born in Kent in 1791.

Lewisham is just south of the Thames whereas Brighton is on the South Coast, quite a distance in those days and the 8 years difference also makes me wonder if these are not two different families.

I have  Mary marrying Edward Langley on 8/6/1847 in St Mary, Whitechapel, and the marriage certificate has her father as Richard Marchant, so I can be certain of this.

Her death certificate says she was 45 at the time of her death on 21 March 1870 so she was born about 1824/5.

There is another Richard Marchant in the 1841 census in Charlton Village, Lewisham, Kent born in 1791, which is the family you found in the 1861 census with his wife, Mary born in 1801 and the children Maria, William, Thomas and Arthur, and a man called John Longhurst who is the same age as Richard.

I did consider Mary Ashenden as Richard's wife, but I couldn't locate anything to verify it so until I can, all I can be certain of is that Richard's wife is called Mary.

It could well be that John Longhurst is Mary's brother which would make her maiden name Longhurst, but unfortunately the earlier censuses don't give relationship to head of the house.

I wouldn't just accept what someone has included in their tree as proof of anything unless they have also stated the source of that information, be it certificate post Oct 1837 or parish registers before then. which I can verify myself.

Best wishes.

Clive