Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioners  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioners
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

According to the 1851 census, one of my direct ancestors was a Chelsea Pensioner. Does anyone know how I can get hold of military pension records, particularly Chelsea Pensioner records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Regards,

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline corbie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioners
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
   We recentley got our uncle's records from thr Chelsea Hospital ( as it is now known) They were really helpful to us, admitted it was a recent death but I'm sure they will do what they can for you. Here is the way to contact them;
     Major (Ret'd) J T Tatham.
     Museum Curator
     ROYAL HOSPITAL CHELSEA
     Royal Hospital Road
     London SW3 4SR

Tel,020 788 5203

Fax 020788105463

Email  johntatham@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk
          Hope you find what you want and good luck in your search.
                       Sue (corbie)

HYATT/ELLIOTT/MULLANEY/CORBETT/CASHMORE/AUCOTT/TOPP/TANDY.

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks very much for that! :D I'll follow it up.

Regards,

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 08:52 BST (UK) »
Historic records from Chelsea will be at the National Archives.  Have a search for him in the series WO 97 on their catalogue.  Military service records prior to the 1850s have been indexed by name so he ought to turn up.  Go to http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp and put his name in the Word or phrase box and WO 97 in the Department or Series Code box.
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again

What I should also have said was you should read the National Archives' research guide on the subject as this points you to many other document series which could hold useful information.

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecatalogue%2Enationalarchives%2Egov%2Euk%2FLeaflets%2Fri2006%2Ehtm&lBack=-1

Hope this link works - if it doesn't just search for Chelsea Pensioners in the Site Search and pick the British Army : Soldiers' Pensions leaflet at the top on the right.

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Thanks very much for that! It's been very helpful. My ancestor was listed in the WO97 records on the National Archives site.  ;D

Regards,

Jane.