Author Topic: County Meath McMahon's  (Read 8164 times)

Offline irishlassie9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Meath McMahon's
« on: Monday 30 August 10 04:02 BST (UK) »
In the early 1850's my greatx2 grandfather, Bernard John immigrated with his family, mother (possibly Mary), father (possibly John), 4 brother's, Michael, Oliver, Edward, Patrick and a sister(unknown).  They may be from Moynalty.  Can you help?

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: County Meath McMahon's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi irishlassie,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

What exactly is it you need help with? Is it where they emigrated to?
or their lives before that? When was Bernard born?

Regards
Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline irishlassie9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
thank you for your response. i am lookingto find the place in county meath were this mcmahon family came from.  bernard was born in 1837, not sure of the date. the john mcmaho, who i think was his father was born around 1769. mary, the mother was born in 1782. i am traveling to ireland in october and would like to visit the town and possibly meet some relatives.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
The place to start is probably with Bernard .. but without certain details on parents and location there may be a few possible baptism matches to consider. Very few rural parishes have records before 1800, and some do not have records back as far as the 1830s.

Do you know what religion the family were ?

Also do you know if any of your McMahon family remained in Ireland ?   If so you may be able to establish some clues as to location by checking for these people in Civil BMD records, which started in 1864, and census returns.. see : Introduction to Irish Records

There are a number of McMahon families in Co. Meath on Griffith's Valuation (carried out in 1854 for this area) - including some in the Civil Parish of Moynalty see link 

where does the Moynalty clue come from - is this from certs,census or other records from whereever your McMahon family ended up ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline irishlassie9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Shane,
Thank you for your reply.  The family was Catholic and the 1872 Jersey city, NJ  obit. for Bernard stated Meath was the county from which the family came. I don't know if any family remained in Meath, but before Bernard died at the age of 31, he was told by his doctors to return to Meath (per the obit), maybe he still had family there. My US research lead me to Griffiths evaluation of 1848 and I mapped out the McMahon's and found family names Patrick, Edward, Michael & Bernard) only in the civil parish of Monalty.  Bernard was only about 17 when he immigrated but I believe his brother,  Patrick was born in 1822 (US census of 1870).  John who I believe to be their father was 88 and died in New York in 1857.  The family were all coopeers and started and ran several barrel companies.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
The Moynalty listed on Griffith's is the Civil parish which is usually equivalent to the Church of Ireland parish. In this case the RC parishes has the same name, but may not cover exactly the same area.

RC records for this parish cover baptisms from mid 1830 and marriages from mid 1829. These are available on microfilm Pos. 4187 in the National Library in Dublin. see RC Parish Moynalty  (Irish Times family history)

Just a point to note on Griffith's - not everyone is included and the dates for the Meath section of the survey may be after your McMahon family left - i.e. 1854

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline irishlassie9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
Shane,
I checked out the Civil parish records and added a couple of parishes and thank you for the head's-up on the film # at the FHC, I do research there if I don't make it there before my trip I will head to the National Library.
Have a great day!
Irish Lassie

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if you ever found the McMahon family you were in search of, but I did come across the name Oliver while researching my McMahon family in Meath records. However, the only one registered in all of Meath wasn't born to John McMahon. The records says Oliver, born 13 Mar 1834 to Edward and Bridget MacMahon in Kells, Meath, witnessed by Mark Tully and Mary Fitzsimons. 

Hope this helps, even though it has been a few years. The name Oliver is fairly uncommon, given that most McMahons were Catholic and the name Oliver would probably date back to the time of Oliver Cromwell, who sought to squash the Catholic religion and the McMahons of the Oreil.

Slightly off topic, I was wondering if you found out where your McMahons had lived in Meath, specifically, if there is a townland associated with them? My gg grandparents, Laurence McMahon and Bridget Dolan remained in Ireland long after their families had departed for Jersey City, NJ. My great grandma, Mary McMahon married Patrick Lynch and moved from Meath to Cavan, and later (about 1920-25) many of their children left Ireland for New Jersey, settling in Bayonne. If I am correct, several of my family members were sponsored by or temporarily stayed with the McMahons of Jersey City upon their arrival in the US. I am thinking that our families might be distantly related?

In the early 1850's my greatx2 grandfather, Bernard John immigrated with his family, mother (possibly Mary), father (possibly John), 4 brother's, Michael, Oliver, Edward, Patrick and a sister(unknown).  They may be from Moynalty.  Can you help?
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline Irish lassie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 02:30 BST (UK) »
This was my post a few years ago and I thank you for your response. I have a new email address & password.
I never did find my McMahon family during my search in County Meath.
My family DNA results are positive for direct Colla Clan lineage.
My McMahon family left Jersey City about 1873 after the death of my gggrandfather and grandmother.
Though Ancestry.com I have had contact with a distant cousin that family also lived in  Jersey City.
We will continue this conversation if you contact me.