Author Topic: Melvaig- McRae, McGregor & Chisholm  (Read 16384 times)

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melvaig- McRae, McGregor & Chisholm
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 September 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Found on the internet today, but posted in 2012

Re: Kenneth Urquhart and Christina Chisholm - Gairloch, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
By Stanley George (Stan) Urquhart January 24, 2012 at 01:16:19
In reply to: Re: Kenneth Urquhart and Christina Chisholm - Gairloch, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
Karlene Jones 9/08/11
Hi,I have not been on this site for a number of years but have just looked at it again and found people enquiring about my Urquhart family.I am the Stan Urquhart who compiled the book "The Urquhart Brothers from Naust"should have been spelt Naast.This was 20 odd years back and I carried out my research the hard way before internet.I read many books, one of the most interesting being "The Highland Clearances by John Peebles.It covers the clearance of farmers from the farms.This is the period my Urquharts moved to the coast around Naast in the western Highlands.
Kenneth Urquhartand his wife Christina Chisholm came to Australia from Naast in 1839.Kenneth was the son of Donald Urquhart and Isobella McGregor,an old family bible suggests that Donald was the son of Kenneth Urquhart and Helen Fraser.
In the late 1700's teh Mckenzies moved people from their land in Urquhart and Logie wester to their lands in the area of Gairloch and Poolwee.In 1802 Donald was living at Kinlochewe about 20k south of Poolewe.In 1807 the family was living at Inversdale and by 1810 the family was living at Naast.
My dad always said 2 brothers went to Canada and 2 came to Australia.Kenneth came here in 1839 and then moved to New Zealand with his family in 1855.Two of his eldest sons returned to Australia and the others remained in New Zealand.Kenneth's brother Donald moved to New Zealand in his latter life.I do not know anything of the brothers who supposedly moved to Canada.
Since doing the book I have been able to make contact with related members of the Urquhart family who come from Naast and some are still living there .