Author Topic: Melvaig- McRae, McGregor & Chisholm  (Read 16358 times)

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melvaig- McRae, McGregor & Chisholm
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I had a bit of a dig about as well, and don't know how much of this you have already.

There is a tree on Ancestry that I have checked and it's mostly right. Please let me know if you can't get access to that.

Kenneth Urquhart and Christina migrated to NSW in 1839 on "James Moran" with children Kenneth, Donald, Alexander & JOhn. Then had Christina & Isabel here in NSW. There is more info if you need it.

It looks like Christina had siblings Duncan b abt 1811, John 1815 & Donald 1825 (ages from 1841 census) . Roderick & Christy Chisholm are at Ormiscaig in 1841 with the three sons

Kenneth had a sister Ann born abt 1797 died 25 Sep 1883 age 85 at Smithstown South Gairloch. Her brother Duncan was the informant on the death. It says her father Donald was a woollen weaver. Ann was married to John Chisholm a fisherman, who was deceased in 1883

Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Cheers,

Ann

Offline GMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
           I can't be of any help with your research but I am interested in your post to Kerry. You have a Roderick Chisholm and wife Christy (M.S. Macgregor) from Ormiscaig.
 I have a Hector Mackenzie (Mellon Udrigle) married Catherine Chisholm (Ormiscaig) 4th march 1836, Catherine was born about 1810 and her parents were Roderick Chisholm and Christy (M.S. Macgregor).

I also have a Roderick Maciver (Inverasdale) married Margaret Chisholm 18th April 1832, Margaret was also born about 1810 and her parents were Roderick Chisholm and Christina (M.S. Macgregor).

Maybe you might know if they were both from this same family, I have assumed that they were but have no confirmation of it.

Cheers GMac

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi GMac,

I apologise to have taken so long to reply.

I've checked my info here over the past few days, for Roderick Chisholm & Christy McGregor.  I believe Margaret is definitely a daughter with brothers Duncan, John & Donald. But even though Catherine is shown with the same parents on the burial record, I haven't been able to find any other proof she is a daughter as well. It seems likely, and I didn't find anything to disprove it, but they lived quite a way from the other family members.

I couldn't find Hectors death, but it was between 1881 and 1891 censuses, most likely at Opinan as well.

You seem to have the marriage record saying Catherine was from Ormiscaig, which makes it possible Catherine is a sister as well.

I had hoped to be of more help, and wish you well with your research. PLease don't hesitate to contact me again if you think I can be of more help.

Regards,

Ann

Offline GMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
           Thanks  for your help, I had given up but got a little excited when I read your post.
I should explain the connection.
My Grandparents were John Mackenzie (Mellon Udrigle) married Mary Maciver (Inverasdale) on 2/4/1891 in Gairloch.
Catherine was Johns mother.
Margaret was Marys grandmother.
Close family I know, but I am happy with that.
Thanks again for your help Ann,

Cheers GMac

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 March 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say thankyou to you all for finding this information. Has helped a great deal.

Would anyone know how I would go finding out where people would have been buried at if they lived in Poolewe or Naast?? I have a Donald Urquhart married to Isabella McGregor. They were living in a croft in Naast I think no 111 or 12. When I visited there last year I searched the graveyard but could not find a headstone.

Just a question to GMac as well. Does this look like we could be related???? Through Roderick and Christy.

Regards

Kerry

Offline GMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 March 12 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
             It certainly appears that Christina Chisholm is a sister to my G Grandmother Catherine (Same parents names and same locality. Ormiscaig )

So this would make Christina my G G Aunt.

Cheers GMac

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 November 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
hi I was wondering if you have any information on MacNicol family from Melvaig I know the gaelic name is Seonaid Nic Neacail she was young when she was involved with the clearances, her father's name is Angus and has brothers Angus, Callum and Fionn or Fingal, this is my friends family and I have been trying for years off and on to find this family Seonaid's testimony of the clearances can be found online any help would be appreciated thanks Lesley
Reid - Edinburgh, East Linton
Borthwick - Edinburgh, Dalkeith
Cowe - East Lothian
Johnston - Dalkeith, Borthwick
Christie, Lee, Anderson, Greig, Innes, Bisset, Noble, Fraserburgh

Offline joefab

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 January 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm searching for a William MacGregor in a haystack. It seems like a long shot, but here goes. I have bits and pieces and have been pointed to many of the names mentioned here, John McGregor & Flora Chisholm in particular. My William was born about 1860 and was a cabinet maker by trade. He came to NYC about 1886. The family that I was pointed to (in the 1861 census) 14 St Catherine St, Banff, Banffshire, Duncan & Flora McGregor, (in the 1881 census) was Duncan & Flora McGregor, , 8 Killermont St, Barony, Lanark. Duncan is likely the Son of John & Flora? Anyone have a William that vanishes about 1886? Thanks! Joe

Offline Aussielost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi guys I have been out of the picture due to illness.
Just wanted to thank you all for posting info very helpful.

The census document with
Donald and Isabella Urquhart. This also has Ann Chisholm. I believe she is their grand daughter. Her parents were John Chisholm and Ann Urquhart.
I will have a bit of info Ann that I will go through and get back to you.

While I'm here there are deaths and marriages I can't find in this area??

Marriage of Donald Urquhart to Isabella McGregor.
The birth of Donald Urquhart to Kenneth Urquhart and Helen Fraser.

The marriage of Kenneth Urquhart to Helen Fraser.

If families or people moved into an area from somewhere else in Scotland was there a document created or needed or did the Parish have to discuss whether they were allowed to stay??

I have been looking everywhere and not finding much. Can anyone help please??

Thanks Everyone
Kerry