Author Topic: James McArthur of Campbeltown  (Read 24458 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James McArthur of Campbeltown
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Monica, this is absolutely incredible and I must thank you and Ev a dozen times.    I'll need a good week to digest all the details.     

Concerning Ancestry, I don't have a Visa Card and I don't intend asking for one simply to become a member.     I proposed sending them a check, a postal order or a bank transfer..., but they refused !  (pleased they don't work for me as they don't seem very commercial)    Anyway, I'd like to keep you updated if you don't mind.    Don't like bothering people !

Once again..., I thank you both.   Iain.

PS..., seeing you've changed your logo to the Paps of Jura, I'll be keeping an eye-out for any interesting McDonalds for you.    Note:  One of my Pipe Majors in the Scots Guards was Angus MacDonald the gold medallist..., now he had a great career and an interesting background. (but not enough cobwebs for you I suppose !)

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Iain - thought you had access to Ancestry when you said you could access censuses for 1841-1901.

My new photo is from the North Ardamurchan coastline looking over at sunset to the Isle of Muck from our holiday cottage at Ockle a couple of weeks - stunning views!

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 18:43 BST (UK) »

There is also this possible 1841 census entry:

Neil Macarthur 45, shoemaker journeyman
Catharine Macarthur 43
John Macarthur 18
Janet Macarthur 16
James Macarthur 13
Margret Macarthur 11
William Macarthur 9
Neil Macarthur 6
Donald Macarthur 2
Mary Wilson 20, Cotton H L W b. Scotland

Address: Fleming's Land, Campbeltown

Monica 

Monica and Ev..., hope this works !   Google is absolutely fantastic !

Fleming's Land:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Main+Street,+Campbeltown&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.791842,43.286133&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Main+St,+Campbeltown,+Argyll+PA28,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.423321,-5.606396&spn=0.002996,0.014656&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=55.423237,-5.606503&panoid=YR3UzZPIDvPc7Uwt-lU9eg&cbp=12,150.34,,0,-10.27

MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Link certainly works  :) Is this Fleming's Land today?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 September 10 06:52 BST (UK) »
Link certainly works  :) Is this Fleming's Land today?

Monica
[/q

Yes Monica…, but although the building is listed it doesn't seem to be that old.    Also, during the research, I seem to remember that it was a poor-house at the time, and seeing that there's a central "close" that gives on to grounds at the back, (using aerial Google views) perhaps there were other buildings at the time.    I can't imagine the general population accepting that the down-and-outs, (if it was the case) having better housing conditions than the average.     

Nonetheless, something that supports the address is the fact that this house is on Main Street…, mentioned so often on other family members coordinates.   Amusing !   

Friends on the Kintyre Forum gave me the details.

http://www.kintyreforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10788&p=103705 - p103705
(Note that this site has a small genealogical page)

---------------------

I say again…, Google is fantastic !   This is my first school. (Lochboisdale; South Uist)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/37/47/1374730_bb11b87f.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1374730&usg=__8Zk8NYonJIFP5mPHRLg75Arc5nY=&h=480&w=640&sz=64&hl=en&start=10&sig2=qWfovgv68zKGTboU8XYCSg&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=yR99qu-1BJheiM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlochboisdale%2Bschool%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SNYK_enGB329GB330%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=e_ZmS6KUNcuNjAe37Oy7Bg
uote]
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 September 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2724474/Searc ... -1772-1849

Just for the historians !   Someone contradicted the origin for Fleming.   

The above link will take you to "Search for A Sword - The Story of Captain John Fleming R.N. (1772 - 1849) one of Scotland’s oft-forgotten heroes."Part of this enthralling story is the excerpt...

"On his return to Campbeltown, Fleming entered the Town Council in 1817 and began to buy and build properties in the Longrow, Bolgam Street, Back Street, St. John’s Street and in the town’s Main Street where his name is commemorated on the gable at The Royal Bank of Scotland where the words “Fleming’s Land” is imposed above the entry."

The Campbeltown Book by the Kintyre Civic Society, on page 376,has a photograph looking down Castlehill with the caption
"Fleming's Land is on the right,built for Captain John Fleming of Glengreggan,who was one of Nelson's officers."
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 September 10 06:13 BST (UK) »
Forgive me for this additional post, but as it's unauthorised to write in English on the Gaelic page, it's only logical that I do it here.

Someone in another Forum made the following remark !

"Just as an aside, in my younger days, I used to wonder why this building was named "Fleming's Land". I have since discovered that in the Scots language a "land" is a tenement building."

When researching Neil McArthur, I found historical references relating to a "poor-house" in the vicinity.   Now…, just read below what that comment unveiled !    I'm pleased that that "word" is hyphenated…, or it probably wouldn't be accepted by the Forum's word-check !   :D

"The main theory is that Glasgow Corporation of old was under the impression that the Schemie Bam was a product of the Gaelic speaking Teuchter tribe from the North and similarly Gaelic speaking Irish Tribe from an Island over the Irish sea, forced to descend on Glasgow looking for food, work and housing (the reasons why are complex, but probably have something to do with a band of rich Anglo/Scots landownery type people, who would sell their own Granny to make a fast buck). (Fleming ??  ;))
Anyway, these people were housed in something called a 'tenement' (GAELIC for s****-hole, though modern 21st century gaelic roughly translates to overpriced-s****-hole-in-the-west-end). Many of these tribespeople were killed off when they were forced to fight on behalf of the English Aristocracy in two 20th century wars."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cx5S_h1vjM0J:germiston.blogspot.com/+gaelic+tenement&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=be

Nonetheless…, I can't imagine a plaque in memory Fleming who was one of Nelsons' officers, being derogative !  It's obviously satire..., but there are elements of truth !  

Can someone who speaks the Gaelic please help translate "Land" for me ?  Thanks !
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Toma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
During my family research into Hathorn/Hawthorn/Hawthorne, Campbelltown, I ran into your very
 interesting correspondence It has led me into what I now call the mysterious McArthur.
My ancester is Catharine Hawthorn, who's father was Dugald Hawthorn! Ihave no doubt on this since
Dugald Hawthorn(brother b. 20/9/32, shows a boarder  at ! Charles St Greenock. Itake the line back to
!791.  What intrigues me is that although James McArthur shows on every census, fromC'town, to Greenock,
 ofthen back to C'town, I can find no definite record of birth, their marriage, or even death.
Another intriguging point is that the only marriage that looks feasible here, due to dates is between
Catharine Hawthorn and a Hugh Anderson! Is ther skullduggery afoot!!
I will keep looking 

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Toma !

I believe I can provide you with family info going back to James’s father Neil of Tiree, (an extremely interesting “Campbeltonian” in the McArthur line) ..., then going back to his father John McArthur and our 6xGr Grandfather John MacFarlane of Tiree. (Tyree) (perhaps even on to our 7xGr Grandmother Isabella)

Extremely busy..., will keep you updated ! 

PS   Catherine (1825) is my 2xGr Grandmother.   
MacFarlane - Tiree