Author Topic: James McArthur of Campbeltown  (Read 24457 times)

Offline Toma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McArthur of Campbeltown
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Iain,
I am amazed at your brisk response!  I wasn't even sure if I had mailed properly. Yes, I would be most interested in
the McArthur tree.
You may realise that I am new to this game, and feeling my way. I was drawn iinto searcing via a cousin
and discoverd this site, and your search by accident. You are obviously a keen aficioad.
Looks like we are cousins, although I don't know how many "remved" we count.  Catharine was also my x's grandmother
so I  suppose we count the same in xGr's. Not sure how the count goes.  Dugald(boarder Greenock 1861 cesus) was
my grandfather's grandfather!
I trace back to James Hathorn son of Daniel Hathorn b.1772, and Isabell McDiarmod,

Keep in touch

Offline Toma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 September 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Mistake!  Realised as soon as I pressed the mail button that Catharine is not my x's grandmother, it is brother Dugald
who is my something x's grandfather.  Catherine is my x's great aunt. Correct?

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 September 11 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Toma !

Firstly, I must mention that although I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now, I’m still no expert..., and where I am today is thanks to Monica and friends

Thanks to them and getting my house in order, I had to exchange my coalminer James for a "James the butcher"..., which suited me down to the ground as my very first job at the age of about 8 was making sausages and delivering meat for the McArthur butcher in Longrow Street, Campbeltown.   
James was probably taught the trade by his father-in-law Dugald Hawthorn and on James’s death, it was his son Robert MacFarlane McArthur who continued the trade. (keep note of the name MacFarlane)
www.myainfolk.ca/records?category=&type=&q=dugald+hawthorn&sort=date

So, Catherine Hawthorn was of course the wife of James McArthur. (b1827 / c25th of November 1827 / death 29th of October 1872 in Kirk Street Campbeltown... testicular cancer... 42 years old) 

I have Catherine in the 1861 census as being born in Campbeltown abt 1825 and died on the 6th of November 1895, 73 years old. (address: 1 Charles Street)   In the 1861 census..., Donald Hawthorn was living with the family..., a fisherman I believe.

Catherine McArthur – Hawthorn. Type: Death
Reviewed: true
Entry: 177, Page 59
Date: 1895 Nov 6
Place: Burnside Street, Campbeltown
First name: Catherine
Last name: McArthur
Fathers first name: Dugald
Fathers last name: Hawthorn (Deceased)
Fathers occupation: Butcher
Mothers first name: Mary
Mothers last name: Campbell (Deceased)
Spouse: James McArthur
Spouse gender: M
Spouse occupation: Butcher
Death cause: Diarrhea, 11 Days
Death informant: Robert MacFarlane McArthur (Son) Dalarnan, Campbeltown. (I have photos of the street)
Created at: 2009-09-14 01:21:58 UTC
Updated at: 2009-11-05 03:12:59 UTC

If you leave the Hawthorn line and take the road of the “mysterious McArthurs”..., James’s father (as mentioned above) was Neil, born in Tiree Haylipol, c9th of August 1795, d1872 in Campbeltown aged 78.   

Concerning Neil’s father John..., there’s a John McArthur c1773 over at Sandaig Tiree who's the most likely candidate at the moment.   Unfortunately when John married Janet McFarlane, the only info we are given in the opr, is his resident parish at the time of marriage. He might have been born elsewhere on Tyree, and at the time of marriage may have been employed/working at the big farm in Helipol, so he would have been 'resident' at the farm. The Session Clerk who wrote the marriages in the register would just have written 'John McArthur of Helipol'.   As such…, “no” parents…, and as you say, this is our McArthur mystery !   Any info would be extremely appreciated.
John's wife Janet McFarlane born 1772 (in the 1776 census she is 4 years old) and both were married at Heylipol on the 31st of July 1792. 

John McArthur ...........
Janet McFarlane .........
---------------------
Neil McArthur will later move south to Campbeltown. 
Flora, 
Isabelle,
Effy,
John,
Isabella,
Hector,
James,
Alexander.

Janet McFarlane’s father is John..., her mother is Flory Rankin born 1743. (the 1776 census has her born in 1748) (there’s perhaps a first wife called Mary)   Janet’s brother is a John, baptised on the 7th of December 1766 at Helipol.  On the OPR it states child John McPhaiden not McFarlane, mother Mary McPhanning (probably McPhraing). McPhraing is the alias or alternate name for Rankine.

John McFarlane’s father could also be another John c1710 with his wife Marion McArthur. (and up pops another “mysterious” McArthur : LOL !)
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Toma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 September 11 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

Good interesting info. I am paying attention!!  By the way Iain how is this lot funded. My cynical nature
does not allow me to think that anything is truly free!

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 September 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,
By the way Iain how is this lot funded. My cynical nature
does not allow me to think that anything is truly free!

;D ;D ;D

Toma..., as you can see, I have only posted a miserable 80 times here !   Monica and others are well over 14.000..., and all for free..., done from the kindness of their hearts.

I think I read somewhere that the only payment required is a thank you !  ;)

PS  If ever you find where Catherine was buried with James I'd be pleased if you let me know.   Thanks !
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline McArthur37.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
I got excited when I saw McArthur living on Main St. We are searching for Family on my Father's side, he passed away on April 5th 1966 in Canada. Info. that we found is that he lived at 32 Main St. His full name is Malcolm McArthur, his Father, John Stuart McArthur, born 1875, his Mother's name, Jane McArthur born 1818, not sure about that. Had a Brother, James McArthur, Sister, Jean McArthur. My Wife, Joyce and my self,  John McArthur along with my Son Mark and his Wife, Karen will be traveling to Scotland in September looking for Family. ANY help would be appreciated

John McArthur

To prevent duplication , If anyone has further information on this family please reply here-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=771146.0

Offline McArthur37.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 May 17 05:23 BST (UK) »
I am posting from Canada and trying to find Family in Scotland. My Father's name was Malcolm McArthur born in Campbelitown in 1907, his Father, John Stuart McArthur. Having read your posting is it possible  that they are possibly Family. My Wife, myself, my eldest Son and his Wife will be coming to Scotland in Sept. hoping to find Family, any information would be appreciated
Many Thanks
John McArthur

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 May 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi John…

The names certainly do not ring a bell in my family…, but I did fine the following.

1881 census: (6 years old)
John Stewart McArthur
Birth abt 1875 – Campbeltown, Argyllshire. 
Address; Lady Mary Row.
Father Malcolm (not mentioned in the census)
Mother’s name Rachael Stewart. 1836-1892
Siblings Margaret / William / Malcolm /
And there’s a John McLean living with them.

His wife was Jane Hunter Girvan and their son was of course Malcolm born abt1907 - 1966

Must run…   If you have any question just let me know.
Kind Regards…, Iain.  :)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline McArthur37.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 May 17 06:10 BST (UK) »
There is something there. As indicated Malcolm McArthur Father was John Stuart McArthur and I found info. that listed Jane Girvan was John Stuart's Wife. We know that Malcolm had a Brother James and a Sister. Not sure if that's right.Jane Girvan died when she was 84

John