Author Topic: Excise officers  (Read 37746 times)

Offline floraflossieflo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Excise officers
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much - that's really interesting. 

flo

Offline singwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 May 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for a John Trenerry, excise man, for a long time but can't get to documents because I am in Australia. He was in South Molton Devon c 1815-1819, then he disappears. His widow Jemima Griffiths, daughter of excise man Cornelius Griffiths, later lived in Bristol with her sons.I did write once to the UK national archives, but they told me they had no information on John Trenerry. Can anyone help?

Offline floraflossieflo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 May 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, great to find someone else looking for Excise Officers.  Hopefully someone else will find something for you but if not, eventually I will be going to the National Records Office in Kew, near London, to look for my own ancester, and if you have no luck elsewhere, I'll look for you but the earliers would be this autumn, so don't hold your breath.  Have you looked on Ancestry?

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 May 14 20:07 BST (UK) »
If you do a search for "Cowes and Isle of Wight Customs History" you will find some very useful info has been transcribed. Makes good reading even if your ancestors did not work there.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline floraflossieflo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 May 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks, sounds interesting.

Offline singwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 May 14 00:50 BST (UK) »
Floraflossieflo, thanks so much for replying!!!! I have looked on ancestry but haven't found anything that seems to relate to our John Trenerry. I don't know if he is Cornish born or the child of Cornish people and the name is not uncommon in Cornwall. That would be lovely if you couldlook him up for me. Wish I could return the favour,bless you.

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 May 14 09:21 BST (UK) »
Should also have said (if you have not already found it) someone has transcribed the parish records for Dartmouth, Devon & put them on-line. I know it is not the same as checking yourself but can be used as a pointer. A great many Excise men seem to have passed through Dartmouth. I found some of my Isle of Wight Excise men there.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline floraflossieflo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 May 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, are you researching Excise men or are John and Jemima Trerenny your ancestors?  If so could you give me any details such as names of children, as I know Excise officers were moved around fairly frequently and the dates and birth places of their children give good clues to where to look for them and hence if I do get to the National record office, it helps direct me to the right search place. 
I see there is a John Trenerry and Jemima Griffiths couple on Ancestry but Jemima's father is not Cornelius - a wonderful name and easily identified!

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 July 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
SCRANPOT

I have offered this site  before as a good read on how to find Excise Officers:

www.bhsprohect.co.uk

Go to Occupations page (left column) and scroll down to Excise Officers.  I really think it has the best information on finding Excise Officers.  The site is originally for Old Brentford History and in itself is interesting read.

Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods