Author Topic: Excise officers  (Read 37492 times)

Offline Simon007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Excise officers
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 31 October 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading this thread with interest and have seen the bhs project page. It lists the various stages an excise officer would go through in his career. Before I visit Kew to look at the records I would really like to know if my ancestor who, on his death certificate in 1838, was described as a "clerk in the Excise Office", would be in the records. The bhs list doesn't mention a "clerk" but does mention an "expectant" and "assistant". Maybe the informant didn't know the correct term to use and he was an expectant. Does anyone know if they used clerks who weren't training to become officers ?

His name was Francis Ross and he died aged 37, probably of TB.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 05 December 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I will have to go myself to the NA in respect of a possible relative SAMUEL ASTON and thought you guys  may be able to give  me your  observations

I know Samuel Aston appears in parliamentray papers of 1815 where he is a permit writer and may also be receiving a pension. By 1817 it appears he may have died. From what i see he was employed by Excise for 49 years.

I have him in Lancashire in the late 1760's and it appears he is in Shropshire for 1770's/1780's

I think he may have been in Birmingham in c1773....that's the most important piece of information i need along with where he died

From what i have written above do you think there may be hope i could find this information at the NA, (or anywhere else).

Reading the Rootschat posts,  people say the minute books take an age to go through as it takes a long time to look at them, (due to only 3 items allowed to be given out at a time). I think the index now may be viewable via the NA site?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/18?_q=index%20to%20names&_hb=tna&_ser=CUST%2047&_srt=1&id=C5623

Looking at the index's i see there is a Samuel Aston mentioned on 2/3 occasions.

The only other source i could think of finding Samuel Aston as an Exciseman was a Directory. I know Skelchers Directory (Birmingham area 1770), had Excisemen listed. I cannot find a 1773 copy though. Do you know of any other Directories that may have Exciseman listed down?

Basically, any tips at all would be most welcome!!!

Thanks for reading this

Best wishes

Eric

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 29 August 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just an update on Samuel Aston.

I visited the NA and the minute books appear to be more related to customs rather than Excise and it appears it was a Samuel Astin rather than Aston.

I checked the T22 series which specifically cover Excise officers. These include payments made to such officers, but despite looking through several years  between 1765 and 1815 i could not find any entry for Samuel Aston. I guess it means either 1) they are incomplete or 2) there may have been officers who were not paid by central government? Maybe local councils paid them? I am open to suggestions!

Regards

Eric

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 03 February 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone access info that I can't find?

I have entry papers for a Basil Sandys (born c1801 Limerick) who applied in April 1827, completed his training at Greenwich in July 1827 and was recommended.  There is a newspaper article mentioning him as an Excise Officer in Longford, Ireland in 1839 and he is in Sidney Street, Marylebone, London on the 1841 census.  The only reference I found on the National Archive site (searching sandys OR sands AND excise) was for his entry papers.

Between 1827 and 1841 we believe Basil may have married twice and had at least 6 children - but we don't know where!  If we can track his Excise postings we would have a chance of finding BMD records.

We know Basil's parentage, and we know about his life after 1855, but there is a huge hole we would like to fill.

Any help will be gratefully received.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 03 February 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Between 1827 and 1841 we believe Basil may have married twice and had at least 6 children - but we don't know where!  If we can track his Excise postings we would have a chance of finding BMD records.

Postings of excise officers are recorded in the Minute Books at the National Archives in CUST 47. These books are not online, but each Minute Book is indexed, and the images of these indexes are online. This offers a shortcut to finding the actual records at Kew -- if you or someone you know can get there.

For example, for 1827-1841 ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=1&_ep=index+to+names&_cr=CUST+47&_dss=range&_sd=1827&_ed=1841&_ro=any&_st=adv

Select the blue link for any volume, then click Show Images (in the yellow band). In the index volumes I searched at random, letter S is on image 22, or thereabouts.

For example, in one of the indexes for 1828 (CUST 47/570/1), I found 3 page references for Basil Sandys – pointing to pp. 21, 45 and 58 in the minute book CUST 47/570. From experience, these 3 entries will probably relate to various records of grading/salary etc. for a single appointment in that year.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 04 February 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Bookbox - you've done it again.  That had just not occurred to me.

I had seen the previous posts about minute books, but I had made an assumption (bad mistake!) that if a name didn't show up on a search then it wasn't indexed.  I hadn't understood that the indexes (indices?) were images that had not been transcribed.

Many, many thanks
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sihuss

• RootsChat Member
  • Dudley Thomas Hussey (1871-1944)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 20 February 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the steer on this.  Sadly I only found 2 index references to my Excise Officer, Dudley Hussey (1786-1852).  I know from House of Commons Parliamentary Papers that he retired from Excise in 1838 having served for 34 years.  (I got a look-up on the 2 entries and they were both transfers - Wexford to Waterford in 1833 and Waterford to Enniscorthy in 1838).

Anyone any thoughts/suggestions?

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
The index to the excise minutes books is available for free online, but has never been transcribed.

Is there interest in starting a project to provide an online searchable index? 

I have done similar projects in the past and I am capable of providing the computer and website expertise.  My experience has also been that there would be a large number of persons who would utilize such an interest, but extremely few persons who would be willing to assist with the transcription.  I was thinking perhaps a way around this problem would be to require anyone who wanted to view the index be required to transcribe a few pages.

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
hello

My ancestor John Cameron was a tidewaiter based at Perth Custom House, Perth, Scotland. He died in 1814 aged 56. Would he be in these records?

thanks  Jamie